Cleaning Hub Caps

LindaH

We just recently had service done on our motorhome and part of that service included rotating the tires. The inside dually tires are now on the outside and they are FILTHY! Earl tried cleaning one using Awesome and, while that took off a lot of the stuff, there's still a lot on it. I'm not sure exactly what it consists of, but two years (almost) of road gunk.

Anyone have any magic solutions to cleaning the hub caps?

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Hub caps or wheels? Hub caps stay on the outside. Wheels rotate to the outside and there are turned around for the dual mount.

Find a truck stop that polishes wheels.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Yes, I guess it would actually be the wheels. I'll have to call around to see if there's any place in town that does wheel polishing. Or, as Jim said, take it to a car wash and use tar remover. That would probably be the less expensive of the two options!

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

We've solved the problem. DH took the motorhome back to the place that did the tire rotation to show them what the wheels looked like (they had been cleaned as well as we could, but the still looked terrible...totally unacceptable, IMO (if I had seen the wheels at the time of pick up, I never would have accepted it).

Anyway, they're correcting the problem as I write this, so the dirty wheels will be back on the inside.

Lesson learned...next time, we'll make sure this doesn't happen.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

I don't understand the question, Pat & Pete.

The tires were rotated, rims and all. I've never heard of a tire rotation being done where they dismounted the tires from the rims, leaving the rims in the same place they were, and remounting the tires. At least that's not what has ever happened in any tire rotation we've had.

The problem came about because the tire place didn't rotate the tires the way our book says to do it: The two front tires switch sides, but remain in the front and the dually pair also switch sides...but the inside tires remain on the inside.

Instead, they took the front tires and moved them so that they were now on the inside of the dually pair. The outside dually tires were moved to the front and the inside dually tires were moved to the outside. Why in the !#$& they'd think that was a good idea after seeing what the rims looked like is beyond me. And, of course, we never gave it a thought at the time. DH didn't notice the rims (apparently) when he picked up the rig, or, if he did, he probably thought it would be an easy matter to clean them.

At any rate, next time, we'll know and will insist that the tires be rotated according to our book.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

I don't understand the question, Pat & Pete.

The tires were rotated, rims and all. I've never heard of a tire rotation being done where they dismounted the tires from the rims, leaving the rims in the same place they were, and remounting the tires. At least that's not what has ever happened in any tire rotation we've had.

The problem came about because the tire place didn't rotate the tires the way our book says to do it: The two front tires switch sides, but remain in the front and the dually pair also switch sides...but the inside tires remain on the inside.

Instead, they took the front tires and moved them so that they were now on the inside of the dually pair. The outside dually tires were moved to the front and the inside dually tires were moved to the outside. Why in the !#$& they'd think that was a good idea after seeing what the rims looked like is beyond me. And, of course, we never gave it a thought at the time. DH didn't notice the rims (apparently) when he picked up the rig, or, if he did, he probably thought it would be an easy matter to clean them.

At any rate, next time, we'll know and will insist that the tires be rotated according to our book.

I see , now . I was a bit confused as to what actually happened , obviously . Sorry . :unsure:

Good you got it straightened out . And , you should count that experience as a good deed , as you taught the fellows something they didn't know . ;)

Goes around , comes around .

About the only time I've seen tires dismounted when being rotated is if there is an alignment issue and the owner is trying to rotate damaged front tires to every possible position to distribute the wear. Not a great idea but it can get you a couple more years out of a set of tires.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived