Class of 2018

wfuge

Retired April 1st, and am now at Sumter Oaks in Bushnell, FL, site 28.  Arrived on Monday, we are beginning to investigate the surrounding areas.  Left the St Louis area with rain and cold weather, feels good to see the sun shine and be able to enjoy the outdoors.  We are officially full timers, and will now learn to slow down and enjoy life to the fullest. 

Joe, Darlene and Winston

Joe and Darlene

1996 Newell 45' Motor Home

Detroit Diesel Series 60 with Allison 6 Speed Transmission

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee

We travel with pets

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joe and Darlene,

So jealous, we have 91 days to go before we can join you on the road. Just have a few more things to wrap up before the big day. I’ve got to get the base plate and braking system installed on the Cherokee in the next week or so. Hope we see you in your travels.

Well, it's getting real for us...

Put house on market last week, and it sold in one day! Tentative settlement May 30th, so if all goes accordingly to plan, we will be spending our first night of full-time life in local state park May 29th. Just mailed in paperwork for Escapees mail service with domicile in South Dakota. 

Now to finish the last 10% of getting rid of "stuff" and figure out where we will be camping!

Full-time since May 29, 2018, formerly from SE Pennsylvania

2017 Ford F350 CC Long Bed, Diesel

2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS Fifth Wheel

Andersen Ultimate Hitch

Congrats Stormin' Norm,

Funny thing, we put our house on the market and it too sold in one day.   Our house closes on May 30 too ( Lord willing).   Will be starting full timing May 28th if everything goes as we plan.   Will still have a month to work after that before I am officially done with work.  

We too have lots of stuff to get rid of.    For us, selling the us, getting rid of it's contents, retiring,  figuring out the domicile issues, medical insurance, wow, it can be somewhat overwhelming.   Still as we get over each hurdle, the excitement grows.

We are at the last few boxes of stuff...finally. I would not want to do this again.  However thanks to all our research and comments about starting with a storage unit and downsizing from that did not fall on deaf ears.  We got rid of it now. 

Realtor comes tomorrow.  

Got back from Va Beach. It was a nice break.  Been living in the rv since March 24.  Replaced the stabilizers and mattress.  Starting to feel like home.  

Rob and Marie (Class of 2018)

Lucy and Ethyl (Chihuahua Shitzu) (sisters) 

2016 GMC Sierra 2500HD

2019 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

9 hours ago, Ridgekid said:

Been living in the rv since March 24.  Replaced the stabilizers and mattress.  Starting to feel like home.  

Don't overlook changing the interior decorations. When you move into a new house you always make changed to things so that it reflects your taste and becomes your home. Do those same things in the RV. We changed all of the window coverings in our RV, replaced all of the pictures and added more, put up family pictures in the bedroom, and many small things that came directly from our stick home. 

You know that you have made the transition to fulltime when you begin to say "let's go home" and you mean back to the RV. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Greetings Class of 2018!

I've officially joined..

The RV life has been on my mind the last couple years but on Feb 26th... my 56th BDay I decided to make it a reality.. I put in my retirement notice, traded my Jeep for a Big Ass Truck, sold my Condo and bought a Trailer.. closing was on April 2nd so I'm now in the trailer while I finish up my last weeks of work.. Last Day of work April 20th... I'm taking care of the last details in the area (San Diego) and will be hitting the road Mid May... it has been a whirlwind these last couple months and now a whole new and different chapter of my life begins!

Deborah

Kirk- Yes we are working on the inside with personal touches. Just some things you cant part with, like our silver anniversary Mantle Clock from our kids. A family celebrations board with Birthdays and anniversary reminders.  

Realtor came and was putting a package together. Not impressed. She was here a week ago. We are working on some of her recommendations. Mostly touchup painting. Nothing major.

Still sitting in driveway. Its cold and snowing today. Buying propane every 7-10 days. Tired of the cold. Our ATV club is still working on getting the electric hooked up to our campsite.

One more month we make our trip to Yellowstone!

2016 GMC Sierra 2500HD

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, jkoenig24 said:

I believe I'm in the home stretch now.

That is great news! We spent 12 happy years on the road and while Pam's health problems have now dictated our return to part-time traveling, I still miss living on the road. We are currently at the Escapade site and will head to ND for the summer a couple of days after you gain your freedom! If you come toward ND please let me know as we would love to meet you!

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 3 weeks later...

My hubby David and I were completely engrossed in the research, planning, prepping and purging process to go full-time and we finally launched on January 31st, and hit the road from Santa Cruz CA on February 9th!

We have a 2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Quad Cab 160.5 Laramie Diesel and a 2006 30' Forest River Cardinal LE fifth wheel.

Our 11 year old Tuxedo kitty Benny travels with us.

We spent that first month on the road visiting friends and family and landed at the Escapee's Rainbow's End RVP on March 15th, after having just completed their Bootcamp and 2-day driving school in Grand Prairie.

At first we only intended to stay in Livingston for a week, then a month, then 2, and now it's been 3 months of figuring out what the hell we've done, maintenance, repairs and UNexpectedly needing a transmission!! That is all now taken care of and we FINALLY hit the road again, FOR REAL this Friday, June 15TH!

Everyone here is really friendly, helpful and very generous with their time and knowledge. However, due to the fact we were so exhausted and stressed from moving out, the whole transition process, 9 final days of fast 'n furious purging at the local KOA and saying goodbye to everyone, we didn't do any sightseeing on the way here. So now I am jonesing to actually do and see all the things we worked so hard for during the last 2 years!

I HAVE SUCH A CASE OF CABIN FEVER!

We're on RVillage, (Marie&David) and I did create a Facebook page for our travels and had started a blog, "Nomads 'til we go mad", but I've been too busy to give either of the last two any time yet!

Congrats to our fellow 2018 Graduates, I look forward to meeting you on the road!

Marie

Truck & 5er_Dateland Feb 2018.jpg

D&M RV_010518.jpg

Benny on his 11th birthday.jpg

Wow, Marie thank you for sharing. We are down to counting days. We take delivery of our coach on July 7th. I trust you will have a less eventful second half of your first year.  We are starting out with driving school then on to a fall colors tour in New England. Safe travels, and maybe we will meet you sometime. Look for a 2018 Entegra Aspire pulling a white Jeep Cherokee. 

first post to this thread (I think).  Are going full time end of July.  Selling off our stuff (downsizing).  Will be doing the Lance travel trailer full time, with our Tundra truck towing it.  Changed address to ESCAPEES service in Bushnell FL and Livingston TX; but will make the Florida driver licenses and vehicle registration trip in middle of July.  Trying to keep it small and practical with stuff.

Kevin & Cara

Charleston SC (soon to be in the wind)

LONG OVERDUE UPDATE:

Before May 20th, when we started our retirement vacation, the house was empty with a few items left in the garage. We signed a contract with a realtor and literally left town.

The house was officially listed May 29th. Before the signs were up a young man drove up our driveway (1/4 mile long) Per our son who lives next door, he asked what he wanted and was told the house was just put on the market. To make a long story short, the house was under contract WITHIN THE WEEK, while we were in Wyoming! Closing is set for July 27th. 

We are home now (After a Great three week trip to Yellowstone) and are finalizing a few items the buyer wanted (minor stuff-under $200 to complete) and getting ready to head to Myrtle Beach on the 27th. Two weeks after we get back from SC, we will be Campground Hosts for three weeks in a PA State Park. That takes us to Aug 13th.

Ten days later we are going to start a trip to California. That's where I was born and raised. Its time for my 40th HS reunion! It will take us Six weeks to get there. Reunion is Oct 5th. Then we have to RUSH back to Pa for a event for our grandkids. By Oct 15th we will start our trek south, then west to Arizona. 

BTW- We stopped in South Dakota and got a new mailing address on the way home. On our way to California we will stop in Box Elder and get our DL's and Registrations swapped over. 

Bad news-We won't be staying at our ATV club as planned. GOOD NEWS- Our son is setting up a site on his property for our visits! 

Now you know why I haven't posted for a few weeks...……...

2016 GMC Sierra 2500HD

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings, our plans have altered and we are not selling the house at this time. My DH wants to wait a year and make sure we r ok with new lifestyle and he does not like to part with it. He is retiring in November, I in September. We will winter in Casa Grande AZ with our dogs. Than may head up to CA to visit sites we have not sen before. 

Hardest part now is planning on leaving house- needing to keep electric, find a security system, someone to plow, check the house, etc! Plus allthe expenses with the house and being on the road! It will be an adventure!

Down to two weeks. We are finishing up the final packing and next week will be loading up the pod to ship everything up to Albany NY where we will take delivery of our coach. Next week is booked with retirement lunches and dinners. 

We officially joined the 2018 Class on May 29th, a little late to update. House sold without a hitch, and now 24 days and 7 campgrounds under our wheels, en route to Rapid City, SD to get driver's licenses, etc. squared away. 

No regrets in the early going, all systems are green. Will say that I was glad to have made all my camping reservations some time ago, as many campgrounds we have stayed at have been full on weekends.

Andersen Ultimate Hitch

17 minutes ago, Stormin' Norm said:

We officially joined the 2018 Class on May 29th, a little late to update. House sold without a hitch, and now 24 days and 7 campgrounds under our wheels, en route to Rapid City, SD to get driver's licenses, etc. squared away. 

No regrets in the early going, all systems are green. Will say that I was glad to have made all my camping reservations some time ago, as many campgrounds we have stayed at have been full on weekends.

Congratulations on your accomplishment.  Enjoy your journey, it appears to be a nice one in progress.

Marcel

• 2 weeks later...

I just joined and got on the road in April, so I guess I am part of the class of 2018.

I’m hanging around Flagstaff, AZ for the summer. Fall, I will head down to southern Arizona deserts. 

I am going to joint Escapees, mostly because I like the advocacy work they do, we have to advocate for ourselves.

See you down the road!

Well, we made the jump. Moved into our trailer June 6 so the estate sale could be set up in our house. That happened June 8-9. We had signed on the house before this and closed June 18.

It was very busy for the months before, and very busy now. We made a quick trip to Canada for a trailer frame recall, back to Oregon to pick up a canopy for our new pickup, then off to Rapid City, SD. We're now if Box Elder setting up domicile, etc.

Online journal coming soon.

Thanks.

Hugh

20 hours ago, Hugh Currin said:

Well, we made the jump. Moved into our trailer June 6 so the estate sale could be set up in our house. That happened June 8-9. We had signed on the house before this and closed June 18.

It was very busy for the months before, and very busy now. We made a quick trip to Canada for a trailer frame recall, back to Oregon to pick up a canopy for our new pickup, then off to Rapid City, SD. We're now if Box Elder setting up domicile, etc.

Online journal coming soon.

Thanks.

Hugh

Congrats... neighbor! Lol, we are camped for another week in Rapid City after doing much the same. 

No regrets about spending 2 weeks here, so much to do in surrounding area.

Andersen Ultimate Hitch

Sorry to hear that Flipper.  Guess I'll welcome you to the class of 2019

http://www.rvnetwork.com/topic/128025-class-of-2019/?tab=comments#comment-902848

Mark

Mark from Missouri

Our Future in an RV

2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Dually LB 6.7L HO Diesel Aisin Transmission 4x4 3.73 Gears

2019 Vanleigh Vilano 320GK 35’ fifth wheel 16,000-pound GVWR