IE Question Regarding Windows 10

DJW

So both of our machines (former 8.1 & 7) are running great on Windows 10. We are both running EDGE. I run a program called Secunia PSI. It checks and makes sure all my programs are up to date. I run this program every Saturday before I make my system image for the week. Today It showed that I needed to update my IE 11. I am guessing that it sees IE 11 in both of the backups that Win 10 made when it was installed? A couple of Questions

1. Will this backup that was made by Win 10 go away after the initial 30 day which as I understand it is the cutoff date for going back to previous copy of Windows. When it goes I assume it will take IE 11 with it.

2. Is there any reason to keep IE 11 on the machines?

3. I also run CC Cleaner as well. When I run the registry cleaner there seems to be 2 items in the registry that CC says need to be fixed. They are the same 2 items time after time. I select them hit the fix button and they go away. But if you scan again they are right back even if you reboot. They only showed up after installing Win 10. They show up on both machines. Any thoughts?

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

Mark

Does that leave you with all the problems associated with IE 11 then? Do I need to do the IE updates even though I am not using that browser? If I unintall IE will that cause me a problem with EDGE?

Thanks

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

Problems with IE11 can only happen if you you use it.

If you are comfortable with FireFox or Chrome as an alternative browser, then go ahead and uninstall IE11.

I wouldn't.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

I have IE11 for only 2 reasons:

1. To prove whether a problem is in Chrome or the website.
  2. To provide active links in ONeNote (which I use a whole lot).

IE is the only browser so far that supports active links. Chrome used to have a workaround until that door got closed.

Active links , sometimes called live links, is a meta-notation made automatically in OneNote for everything one enters that is related to an active page in the IE browser. As I research things like RV trips, rv parks, products, fuel prices, etc. I run with OneNote in "Docked to Desktop" mode and as I flip back and forth from the webpage to my notes anything I type in the note has a hidden link back to that webpage and content.

The huge advantage to this is that at any time I can click the IE icon that precedes my text line and it will take me to that exact page and location. I don't have to manually do cut and pastes of content and then links or use the hyperlink (ctrl-k) on the OneNote text to be able to go there, again. For a short demo see:

It also works within and between office products as well as between notes in different onenote notebooks. it can also be a shortcut directly to a specific spot in an audio or video captured in Onenote making it easy to quickly create an index directly to key points in either.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

IE 11 most likely cannot be removed from Win 10. It, along with Edge, is built into the OS. This allows those that do not like Edge to easily switch back to IE 11. I actually use both as Edge does not yet support add-ons.

Yes, when WU are pushed to you, IE 11 will also update. Generally these updates are security updates for IE 11. Just keep them and move forward. I have not had FF or Chrome installed for several years, and do not miss either. There are certain sites that seem to work better on Edge, and certain sites that work better on IE 11. If you find a site that does not seem to play well on Edge, simply use the _ _ _ section in the upper right and choose Open in Internet Explorer.

GS Lifetime #822128658, FMCA #F431170

2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Extended Class B

E 11 most likely cannot be removed from Win 10. It, along with Edge, is built into the OS. This allows those that do not like Edge to easily switch back to IE 11. I actually use both as Edge does not yet support add-ons.

IE11 is a Windows Option feature in Programs and Features / Turn Windows features on or off

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

Turning it off is different from uninstalling it. By turning it off, you can very easily turn it back on if/when you decide you wish it back.

GS Lifetime #822128658, FMCA #F431170

2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Extended Class B

Mark

I went to Programs and Features and l saw where IE 11 is turned on but I did not see where EDGE is listed any place? How do I know if I am running the EDGE Browser and not the IE 11?

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

I thought that after I posted. I clicked on the E and it showed MS EDGE.

What would be nice is if someone with the Tech knowledge would go through something like Program and Features and list what really should be turned on and what you can safely turn off without doing any harm.

Thanks Mark

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

Start with this, what Microsoft preset is pretty much what you need. The rest is OJT.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

Archived