Indiana Diesel Fuel Prices - Tax Exempt?

RandyA

The Speedway in Goshen posted $2.25 (10th rounded) for DIESEL. Regular gas was $2.96. First time I have seen diesel lower than gas in a long time.

Pulled up to diesel pumps, swiped my credit card and pumped 85 gallons. Took my receipt and drove off. No mention of price being tax exempt at this location. Nothing on the receipt either. No one or way to give a DOT or other ID number as I did not need to go inside. Only sign was "Trucks Only" on the pumps. While I did not see anything that said "Tax Exempt" I have a suspicion it probably was as other stations were showing slightly higher prices with small "tax exempt" letters under the the price on the sign. I noted numerous pick-ups filling up there as well.

OK - I have absolutely no idea how all of this works in Indiana and if, what or how I am suppose to respond if this was indeed tax exempt fuel.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Indiana stations are devious that way. They always have a very small sign saying tax exempt price. We were fooled once too. We went inside and when we discovered the issue we said we had no tax number and they had no way to take the diesel back so the clerk said "go away, now you know". Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

That's ok that that you don't know how it works in Indiana. Neither to the officials in Indiana know how it works. Truckers don't know, I don't know, nobody knows. In Indiana you just fill up your tank and hope for the best.

Maybe it has something to do with some of the worst highways in the U.S. They jar your brain so that by the time you need fuel it just doesn't matter.

Poste by a former Hoosier

Indiana sales tax is exempt to many/most production use purchases be it fuel, repairs, parts, machinery etc. To take advantage of this in a truck, the state assumes if you have a DOT number then you would fit the production category-which is generally but not always the case. One example would be farm trucks in Indiana normally do not require a DOT number and are involved in production.

Indiana sales tax is exempt to many/most production use purchases be it fuel, repairs, parts, machinery etc. To take advantage of this in a truck, the state assumes if you have a DOT number then you would fit the production category-which is generally but not always the case. One example would be farm trucks in Indiana normally do not require a DOT number and are involved in production.

Well, sorta. Farm trucks are exempt on the portion of fuel they use "off road" only. If you burn the fuel on a public road, you owe the tax. I've had farm trucks/semis for 40 years.

While I agree the law and signs are confusing, don't blame the service stations. They're just playing by the rules they're given, dumb as it may be. If you dislike the laws, Indiana's a small enough state that you can cross to by fuel in the next state.

And like any other state, some roads are good, and some not so much. I get all around Indiana and surrounding states, and the worst road I've been on recently was I-70 from Indy to the Ohio line. Conversely, I-74 is great.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Funny, I always thought the roads got BETTER after I crossed the IL/IN state line, heading east.

Just took my kids to college In Ohio...and let me warn you all the way on I-74 in IL was construction. No construction to speak of in IN, but the REAL bad news was I-75 in OH. AVOID AT ALL COSTS this road. Major construction with narrow lanes and lane changes and split lanes and...all the way from just north of Dayton to Toledo. I think there was a 60 mile stretch where both lanes are crammed between concrete barricades with only occasional "emergency pull offs" .

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

I have learned to never attempt to fill up in Indiana. With 300 gallons I should be able to make it through no problem. Had the same thing happen first time in Indiana. What a tax, a higher price, I'm confused.

And I really thought the roads were good as well. With as much as we pay in tolls they better be. God love ez passes In the north east.

Roll on

JC

2009 Volvo 780. D-16 500hp 1850 torque with a Herrin hauler bed.

2015 Continental Coach

2008 650cc Suzuki Bergman

2013 Mustang GT 500 convertible

2014 Smartcar convertible

WWW.Hollyfab.com. (Metal Fabrication Company)

Jamesc@hollyfab.com (preferred contact method)

But..... filling up in Indiana at $2.25 a gallon was a bargain considering the higher diesel fuel prices in Ohio, Michigan, PA, Maryland, West VA and VA. (all part of our route). Why would I want to avoid buying diesel in IN at these prices and terms?

I still have no clue what I was suppose to do that I didn't related to the "possibility" of filling up with tax exempt fuel. I am just a fat, dumb and happy out-of-state motorist...... well, not too fat. I can tell you one thing..... everything in Virginia has a tax and when it comes to fuel no one is exempt.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

That particular station does not seem to really watch for commercial trucks or DOT #, and a lot of the rv transporters fuel there and I think that they just think we are hauling new rv's. At other stations closer to a major highway I have been asked for a DOT #. I have fueled there the last 3 years while attending the FROG Rally without a issue.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

Archived