50 amp outlet

wildmandmc

#6 wires in a regular 50 amp power cord should be good for around 100' depending the current/distance table you read.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

That 100', or so, starts at the breaker and plugs/receptacles add to the resistance.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

I'm wondering why an outlet, then the run to the second outlet? Is that first outlet physically located between the box and the second location? The typical 120/240V outlet needed for an RV doesn't normally have two sets of connecting screws the way that a typical 120V/15A outlet found in homes does. It isn't a common practice to daisy chain them because you can't use two of them at the same time, in the way that we do the typical home outlet. There are outlet boxes that do have a provision in the box for connecting a series of outlets but those are much more expensive that just an outlet would be. They are also usually fed by a supply that exceeds the single plug level and the box has a dual 50a for that outlet only.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I don't think a dual 50 amp receptacle was implied.

I believe wildmandmc meant to put a receptacle on the outside of the house and then run either a couple of 50 amp extension cords or a custom made 75' cable to reach the RV.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

I believe wildmandmc meant to put a receptacle on the outside of the house and then run either a couple of 50 amp extension cords or a custom made 75' cable to reach the RV.

If that is what you have in mind, would it not be possible to put the outlet closer to the RV and so use less by way of an extension cord? Each time that you add another plug & receptacle you add unwanted resistance in those connections.

Sure, but it is up to wildmandnc where to put the receptacle. On the house and a 75' extension cord. Or install a power pole out at the trailer. Each has one receptacle/plug. One incurs 75' of buried cable.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

plan is right opposite the main panel in side garage have a 50 amp breaker put in. then have an external box outside. the price i got to have a line made an run down to where rv would be was well over 700 bucks, so i fig, box outside, then run a 50 amp plug to rv.

2000 Itasca Horizon DP (Got Total During Irma). 

Vice President of Charlotte County Defenders LE MC

http://charlotte.defenderslemc.com/

Just so you understand, 75' of 6-3 plus ground outdoor cable is going to cost a bit, like $300

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

Just so you understand, 75' of 6-3 plus ground outdoor cable is going to cost a bit, like $300

Our you could buy 50a extension cords which usually only come in 30' or so lengths from more than $100 each and they have the power loss of the connection plugs, with each one adding another plug of power loss. I'd either bite the bullet and run the power to the RV, or perhaps move the RV to the power. Either way is not cheap.

You probably could get by with only 30A to the RV when parked and that would cost you significantly less to put in. Many a 50A RV is used quite happily with only 30A for periods of time. If you don't need to keep everything running, I would consider doing that to lower the cost.

Archived