HDT Newbie Questions

elhajj33

started reading the FAQ. and The two personal sites listed in the FAQ. Answering many of the annoying questions i've been asking you all :)

One question: do i really need an HDT for about 16-17,000lbs?

NEED is a funny word. Nobody Needs an HDT, errrr, forget that line of thought, YES you need one....lol

What everyone is trying to tell you is that most of us have gone down the proverbial path you are looking at and a lot of us started with 3/4 ton trucks and then one tons and for some, 2 ton or the MDT route. For the folks who put on a lot of miles, they usually do one of three things, scale down the size of the trailer, switch to a Motorhome, or get an HDT.

There are always exceptions, but not many.

Some things in life you just need to experience for yourself to build wisdom. I, for one, have gotten to a point in life where I am ok with not building anymore wisdom and settle for learning from other folks mistakes.

John

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

Here is another thread that might help with some additional info....

http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=118785&hl=

Thanks for that! I called him and had a good conversation. Waiting on him to send me images.

One more dumb question. I have a minivan (family of 7) is there any way we can tow that and the fifth wheel? That would be amazing...

The short answer is Yes.

As to your van, you may need to mod it to allow for towing if it has an automatic transmission, or put it on a tow dolly.

As to where you can tow, check this link for states that allow double towing.

http://towingworld.com/towinglaws.cfm

You would be hard pressed to double tow with an F-350 or F-450.

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

Now, I'm a newbie, but i've been doing my research. I'm thinking I'll need an F-350 that's 2007 or newer. i've been pouring through the Ford towing guides on http://www.fleet.ford.com/towing-guides/. It looks to me I can pickup an F-350 that will tow about 18,000lbs.

Before you buy a Ford with a diesel engine, do a google search on Ford's 6.0 and 6.4 diesel engines. As I recall the 6.0 engines ran from 2003ish to 2007. The 6.4 engines ran from 2008 to 2011. The engines gave a many owners a lot of grief. I owned a 2008 6.4 F550. After too many times in the dealer for repair, Ford bought it back from me. I now drive a 2008 Volvo 780 and love it. Don't trust the manufacturer's literature.

Look at some of the used HDT's for sale on this forum. A Volvo 630 may be just the ticket for you. I have seen them with beds, air hitches, brake controllers and Jackaloppes. And if you buy from a forum member, you will have a history of the HDT.

My 780 is quite large (compared to a 630) and I needed a p/u truck so I bought an older GMC.

ok, one more question: the peterbilt is registered in Maryland as a motorhome. Can I do the same in Florida? or will that be an issue? If not, can i register it in Maryland, even though I live in FL ?

That could be an issue if the registration with your name, does not match your license state.

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

That could be an issue if the registration with your name, does not match your license state.

there has to be a way to work within the system to get this done. I have a florida LLC and could open an LLC just about anywhere. Advice anyone? You all (plus all the research i've done) has me convinced an HDT is the way to go!

One more dumb question. I have a minivan (family of 7) is there any way we can tow that and the fifth wheel? That would be amazing...

With a family of 7 you are going to have a hard time finding any HDT or dually that can safely haul that many people and hopefully you can find a toy hauler you can full time in with many people.

You might want yo look at an HDT conversion like what Nuke-e has and then pulling a stacker trailer for the van and toys. Other option would be DP motorhome with similar trailer.

Also a lot of RV equipment cannot hold up to full timing and some manufacturers will void their warranty if you full time.

Florida does not allow a 5th wheel hitch on a converted HDT, so you may want to change your state to Texas or SD or other when you go full time.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Many states will not allow you to tow a trailer and the van (double towing) and others will not let your entire combo be over 65 ft. Almost any trailer that needs an HDT will put you real close to maximum length with just the truck and the trailer.

Seven people in an HDT..yuck. Towing doubles..yuck

It is a crummy option but maybe the van could be driven? Split your passenger load and just have the missus follow you?

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Many states will not allow you to tow a trailer and the van (double towing) and others will not let your entire combo be over 65 ft. Almost any trailer that needs an HDT will put you real close to maximum length with just the truck and the trailer.

Seven people in an HDT..yuck. Towing doubles..yuck

It is a crummy option but maybe the van could be driven? Split your passenger load and just have the missus follow you?

That does sound like the best choice of a less than desirable circumstance.

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

I think we're just going drive two cars: the truck and our minivan. This will also let us "break up" the kids. I'd rather have us all together, but breaking up the kids is a pretty good idea: especially when the boys want to watch sci fi and the girls want to watch something else while we drive.

Our poor deprived kids had to watch "out the windows" and quit buggin your sister when we travelled :lol::lol: .

We saw a large family camped near us in a double spot early this summer - they travelled with 2 vehicles and had a nice routine to set up camp and get the cookstove going.

One of these might be the ticket:

http://www.beatthestreet.net/#!/page-van-hool-superhighdecker-12-bunks

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

A long time ago, we (me, wife, and two daughters) were driving on US 287 between Dubois, WY and the Tetons. We rounded a bend and there before us was a grand view of the mountains with the valley walls before us covered with wild flowers. I can still see it.....

I said to the girls, "Look at this view. Isn't it spectacular?" A couple of minutes later, after we'd dropped behind another mountain and they'd finished the paragraph or chapter in their books, they asked what the fuss was all about.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

oh man,that would be sweet, but that's way, way, WAY out of the budget!! Right now we're trying to find a good 5th wheel. We're negotiating on the 2013 raptor right now, but we'd like something bigger if we can find it.

We love the coachmen brookstone, but not too many 2013+ for sale

Archived