KandJBm

Problem w/ Prodigy Brake Controller

I have been using this Prodigy proportional controller for 7 yrs and it now is acting weirdly. Went on line for help and have found all kinds of info on the codes (OL, SH) which all have to do with wiring, connectors or brake magnet problems, but I can't find any info on how to test the controller itself. I have checked all the wiring and connectors and magnets and can find no problems (I know that does not necessarily mean I have no wiring problems!) Are there no tests for the controller itself?

Can you hook up the controller to another trailer? This may make a lot of the troubleshooting steps easier if it does something different with a different trailer.

Howdy!

As stated above, hook up to another trailer and see what results you get. I had the same problem as your having with a brand new Rv I pulled off the lot. Turned out to be crimped brake wiring coming through the backing plate. The RV dealerships they will tell you they hate Prodogy brake controllers. Reason being they dignose problems dealers want to ignore.

"Happy Trails"

Chiefneon

The RV dealerships they will tell you they hate Prodogy brake controllers. Reason being they dignose problems dealers want to ignore.

:P

I had a Prodigy several years ago . Worked great for several years - then started acting erratically. Turned out to be the wires thru the trailer axles had bounced around inside & had rubbed off the insulation in spots. I pulled the wires out & replaced them (plastec wire tied new ones to the axles) & the Prodigy worked great after that.

Ron

what are specific issues?

Ron

Got the two codes: SH and OL. Now (8 days and 600 miles later, I only get the dot and not even the c When I turn the manual lever I get n.c.

Can you hook up the controller to another trailer? This may make a lot of the troubleshooting steps easier if it does something different with a different trailer.

Now that we are home I will see if my neighbor has a Prodigy on his truck and will ask if I can try his Prodigy on my truck and mine on his truck.

Howdy!

As stated above, hook up to another trailer and see what results you get. I had the same problem as your having with a brand new Rv I pulled off the lot. Turned out to be crimped brake wiring coming through the backing plate. The RV dealerships they will tell you they hate Prodogy brake controllers. Reason being they dignose problems dealers want to ignore.

"Happy Trails"

Chiefneon

Thanks, will try to do.

Finally used my neighbor's Prodigy controller in our truck/trailer and it also showed the same codes I got in our truck/trailer. Then put our Prodigy in his truck/trailer and it showed no codes. Then placed a compass near each of my trailer wheels (4 of them) and applied the brakes. The compass needle's direction was affected at three wheels and not affected at one. Found the magnet wire inside the drum of that one had rubbed on the drum/axle and shorted out. Fixed the wire and all is good! Thanks all.

Guest THE TRAILERKING

That's a neat "trick tool"................Using a compass to verify energized magnets.

Cool

If your brake controller doesn't have a function to tell you that there is a bad magnet adding the compass check to your regular maintenance schedule is not a bad idea.

Much better to find out you have brake issues before you have the brake pedal on the floor and something getting bigger fast out the windshield!