2005 VED12 435 hp

GlennWest

Found a t630 that is what I want. Saw the 435 hp and that is about the lowest I have seen. Truck only has 535000 miles. Ultrashift. Don't believe my cu will do an 05 but have submitted it. May request a deposit and pay cash. 21k. What am I to except from 435 hp?

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

First of all, that rating is adjustable probably up to ~485.

My personal opinion and that's all it is from having driven loaded to the gills race car haulers when we go out for the west coast races is that claiming you need even 455 hp and 1650 ft-lbs torque is a pretty sporty truck when hauling even a 25K lbs RV and Smart car. Just take a moment to realize 90% of the trucks on the road are frequently 20K lbs more than us and they deal with some very tough routes.

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

Any idea what the torque rating is, Glenn? That's what really makes a difference, not the horsepower. If it's 435/1650 lb/ft it should do a fine job with your trailer.

For reference, the C12 Cat in my T2000 is rated at 430 HP (430 HP at peak torque RPM, with the actual peak HP of 445 HP, a quirk common to many Caterpillar "personality modules") and 1650 lb/ft of torque in the top four gears. It does a great job with my 23,000+ lb. 40' Teton. I would expect comparable performance out of most any engine producing comparable HP and torque numbers.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

After I get the truck I will go up North and work. There is good money to be made up there and I don't trust my current tow vehicle in the Rockies. So it can be turned up if needed. I just didn't want a truck that I couldn't maintain a good speed up hills in mountains with a Smart and my Teton.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Gear ratio isn't listed and I forgot to ask. It does have a 230 wheel base so I could single short have 204 wheel base. Save some money there, I would do that. I wouldn't want to drill all those holes, no mag drill.lol.

HP = Torque x RPM ÷ 5252

So, for you folks who like to fiddle with numbers, it's pretty easy to get a rough idea of an engines torque or hp, if you know the rated rpm.

Fortunately, in the case of our engines, the torque curve is pretty flat, so as long as you aren't near idle or top rpm, you can get pretty close to the real number. Higher or lower rpm and all bets are off.

Then there's the issue of variable rated motors, like Broncohauler mentioned.

I would imagine 435/1550 would do a fine job.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

This is all a matter of expectations and what you are prepared to pay for the pleasure.

I like to travel fairly quickly and don't want to drive a slug. I did that at work with 550hp and 137,500lbs.

Now I have 535/1850 at just under 50,000 lbs. Even the combined units drive a bit like an SUV and the big engine is worth it in my view.

The Volvo unhitched makes quite a nice daily driver despite taking 4 parking spots on its own. The Volvo is quite heavy at nearly 28K standalone, fully fueled with driver and passenger. The trailer is only 20,250 with full water and 50% propane.

You would have a hard time convincing me that less than 500hp was a good idea. Power corrupts etc. lol.

But everyone has their own ideal.

Geo

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Work ride is Western Star N2 Tri-Tri tanker at 56,500kg loaded

My 99 had a ved12 at 435 hp and 1550 torque. I was in Idaho pulling my Mobile Suites which is probably not as heavy as your Teton. I know our 89 Teton was pretty heavy. With that said we never had any issue with the 435 hp. It went everywhere we pointed it. On some of the real steep stuff we slowed down but we would have slowed down anyway due to curves and such so it was not a power issue.

Archived