Baby's first set of new shoes

Big5er

Well, maybe it not the "first" set of new shoes, but it's the first set of rears that I have had to put on.

The rears were "new" when I bought the truck in 2010 and still had 24/32" of tread but I knew they were aging out. Once I got them off and could find the DOT date stamp I knew I was right. All four of the old Continentals were mid year 2008, so it was time to go.

I got a deal on 4 Toyo M144 all position tires.

IMAG0608_zps0jc6gb1e.jpg

The friend that got me the deal helped me mount them.

IMAG0609_zpspla74pg1.jpg

and I threw on a set of Centrarmatics for balancing while I had the wheels off.

Now I just need to clean them and polish the wheels again.

IMAG0611_zpsmy4ujjqs.jpg

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

New tires are just cool.

Sure your working on it but my tire shop gave me $100 per used tire. The sell them to some owner operators to run out on trailers.

They Evan bought my junk tires. I think around $50. They sell them to water truck and guys with offroad only trucks that tear up tires.

You are so right. New tires ARE cool. Part of the "deal" I got included giving them the old tires but the deal was good enough that I was more than willing.

2014 smart Fortwo

Well, maybe it not the "first" set of new shoes, but it's the first set of rears that I have had to put on.

The rears were "new" when I bought the truck in 2010 and still had 24/32" of tread but I knew they were aging out. Once I got them off and could find the DOT date stamp I knew I was right. All four of the old Continentals were mid year 2008, so it was time to go.

I got a deal on 4 Toyo M144 all position tires.

IMAG0608_zps0jc6gb1e.jpg

The friend that got me the deal helped me mount them.

IMAG0609_zpspla74pg1.jpg

and I threw on a set of Centrarmatics for balancing while I had the wheels off.

Now I just need to clean them and polish the wheels again.

IMAG0611_zpsmy4ujjqs.jpg

I don't recall what you had on before but be careful in wet grass with those. If you stop forward motion they are sometimes difficult to get moving again. Of course you won't have the squirm issue I had with my new rears for almost a year.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

I guess only a real a$$hole would point out that the wheels would have been much easier to polish before the new tires were mounted, huh?

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

I don't recall what you had on before but be careful in wet grass with those. If you stop forward motion they are sometimes difficult to get moving again. Of course you won't have the squirm issue I had with my new rears for almost a year.

Rod

Wet grass is only a concern when you wake up terrified going 65 on the median :D

Rod, I had Continental's which had a bigger lug than these all positions. I've never had an issue but time will tell, right?

I guess only a real a$$hole would point out that the wheels would have been much easier to polish before the new tires were mounted, huh?

Phil, you are absolutely right....but the guy mounting them doesn't do polishing and was mounting them for free. I didn't want to take too much advantage of him.

2014 smart Fortwo

Broncohauler, expect a lawsuit...the glare from that polished tank damaged my eyes !! Wow, beautiful ! What are your polishing secrets ? Bigfiver, good looking tires...you should be set for about 10 more years, tire-wise. Congrats. I will be interested in learning the difference in traction on different surfaces, since you switched from a drive lug to an all-position tread. Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

If you polishing guys need something to practice or demonstrate on, I have an entire aluminum bed that could use a little work...

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

http://www.nevrdull.com/

When I was a lad, there were a couple of small planes (Stinson?) at the local airport with aluminum skins, and no paint. The owners would invite a Boy Scout troop out for a Saturday of polishing and sight-seeing.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Thanks rick. I know what I am going to do for relaxation during the do nothing stage of my vacation. :) Sit on a little stool, driink a little Dr. Pepper and try out some nevrdull.

2014 smart Fortwo

Thanks rick. I know what I am going to do for relaxation during the do nothing stage of my vacation. :) Sit on a little stool, driink a little Dr. Pepper and try out some nevrdull.

You'll be there a long long long time.

1) pay some one while drinking Dr Pepper add icecream if you like.

2) or buffer with green rouge and some people don't like it but acid wash them first just make sure you rinse them off before they turn white. About the time you spray the 2nd wheel wash the first off.

Archived