steering wheel off center

heavyduty

Guest THE TRAILERKING

I'm not positive on the Volvo.......But on my Pete' had to remove the steering wheel from the splines and reposition as required.

Absolutely, take it back. It affects how your turn signal "cancels" besides being irritating. Now, if you can't due to distance or whatever, you can remove the U joint just above the strg box and center it, re-bolt. Not the "right" way to do it, but works.

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

I had the same problem when they replaced my steering box. It is very simple to correct (even I can do it) but you may not get it on the first try. Remove the bolt the connects the steering column to the steering box. (You may have to drive a screwdriver in the slot to spread it enough to pull the column off the splines.). Then just turn the wheel to the correct position and reattach. Take it for a drive and then adjust if you need to. It may move and I do not know why. The Volvo dealer adjusted and drove mine three times before getting it where it belonged.

I helped Furball Express adjust his and it is easy.

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

IMO rotating the steering wheel on the box will correct the problem of the wheel not straight. But that's not going to solve why it happened.

IMO the drag link is now to long or short and needs to be adjusted.

If you turn the wheels full lock to the right and measure the steering stops. Then turn full left and measure the other stop. You will find the wheels turn farther one way or the other.

I would take it back. If you can't do that. Then drive the truck in a straight line and stop. Loosen the to locknuts on the draglink and turn it until the wheel is straight. Tighten the nuts back down. And test drive it to make sure it steers straight on its Owen. Just my opinion

Charlie

IMO rotating the steering wheel on the box will correct the problem of the wheel not straight. But that's not going to solve why it happened.

IMO the drag link is now to long or short and needs to be adjusted.

If you turn the wheels full lock to the right and measure the steering stops. Then turn full left and measure the other stop. You will find the wheels turn farther one way or the other.

I would take it back. If you can't do that. Then drive the truck in a straight line and stop. Loosen the to locknuts on the draglink and turn it until the wheel is straight. Tighten the nuts back down. And test drive it to make sure it steers straight on its Owen. Just my opinion

Charlie

That would be the right way to do it, but I don't recall ever seeing an adjustable draglink on any HDT I aligned and most motor homes were the same. Had to pop the wheel on mine too.

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

Archived