Hayes Brake Controller Mounting

alan0043

Jim, why not just mount it further up under the dash? The airlines are all there already and that way you only have to run the wiring to the back. There are plenty of places to hide it under the dash without having to run airlines under the dinette seats. Wires are much easier to run than airlines, in my opinion.

And safer....

I vote for under the dash as well.

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

Jim, why not just mount it further up under the dash? The airlines are all there already and that way you only have to run the wiring to the back. There are plenty of places to hide it under the dash without having to run airlines under the dinette seats. Wires are much easier to run than airlines, in my opinion.

Phil,

I am curious. Where would you mount the controller. I have a gen 1 truck. I am still keeping my opinions open. I do like your thinking about the air line.

Thanks,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Hey Phil, Mine is under the dash by the drink holders (Gen 1). Alan is just looking for options.

Running 3 wires or 1/4 tube thru the cab under the mat makes no difference. The wires or tube would lay in the channel where the rest of the Volvo harness runs by the outside of the drivers seat. Since you have to pull the kick panels and door threshold out, I don't see a difference except materials.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Jim, mine is the same place yours is, but to run wires, they bend, twist and mold easily. Air line doesn't. A kink in a wire means nothing, stand on it and it doesn't care and the electricity still flows. Bend an airline wrong and it is a kink and that is a restriction. You can make a short immediate 90 degree bend through the floor with wires. You need room to "curve" brake tubing through a 90.

It's just me, but I'd rather run wires than brake tubing under the mat. You are right, its gonna be the same amount of work, but the end result could be different. I'd rather run 10 or 12 inches of brake tubing in the dash and 10 or 12 feet of wire under the mat than the other way around. Of course, that's just me. Others may have a different opinion.

Alan, I am not that familiar with the dash in a Gen1 truck. I know on my Gen2, there is about 4-5 inches (in height) of dead space on top of the engine doghouse behind the dash. I actually mounted a small inverter in that space (runs the computer monitor on the dash). If you really wanted to hide your controller, that might be an option. Like you, I don't use it, I use the johnson bar, but like Jim, mine is mounted under the edge of the dash, where my mechanic put it :wacko: . If I had known then, what I know now, mine would probably be velcroed un the doghouse, right next to the inverter.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Archived