Hayes Brake Controller Mounting

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for ideas on how to mount my Hays controller. Does anyone have pictures of there controller mounted ? Where is the best place to mount the controller ? I do not want to use sheet metal screws. I would like not to drill holes in the dash pad. Has anyone made a bracket to hold the controller ? My controller did come with a simple u shaped bracket. If I used the supplied bracket I would have to drill into the dash pad. This is something that I want to stay away from. That is the reason for the questions. Right now I can not come up with ideas for a bracket.

Open for all ideas,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Hey Al, I drilled the holes, unfortunately you did make your dash all pretty with the new paint. The industrial velcro might hold for awhile, but after you sit in the hot sun for a day or two, the glue will probably soften.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Hey Al, I drilled the holes, unfortunately you did make your dash all pretty with the new paint. The industrial velcro might hold for awhile, but after you sit in the hot sun for a day or two, the glue will probably soften.

Hi Jim,

Thank you for the complaint. Can I assume that your controller is mounted on the right side. I am starting to come up with ideas for a new bracket. I will use my favorite method. CAD which means cardboard aided design. I think I can take advantage of some screws that hold the bottom part of the dash. I should have said what model controller I am going to install. The Hayes air actuated controller.

I would still like to see some pictures.

Al

Al , Jim,

We mounted ours at the shifter console on out two pedal automatic. It's right in the front of the "pad" facing up so you can get to the red knob and also just glance down to see that it's working proper. Not at all in the way either !

On a side note, we're already planning for next years ECR, Hope to see you both then ( or before ) !

Happy Trails...

Denver and Ms Judy Geitgey

2006 VOLVO 780

41 ' Redwood

NTPA Event Announcer

dngeitgey@gmail.com

event.png

Al,

I have used 3M Dual lock on many applications and it has never failed me hot or cold. Very expensive but a great product when you don't want to drill holes in things. Here is a link

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the link. That stuff looks it could do the job. Nice and simple to use. If it does the job, it could be worth the price. Maybe the left over material could be used for some other projects with the truck and camper.

Thanks again,

Al

Al , Jim,

We mounted ours at the shifter console on out two pedal automatic. It's right in the front of the "pad" facing up so you can get to the red knob and also just glance down to see that it's working proper. Not at all in the way either !

On a side note, we're already planning for next years ECR, Hope to see you both then ( or before ) !

Happy Trails...

Hi Denver,

God willing I hope to be there next year. I have new wheels and tires for the trailer.

Al

Guest THE TRAILERKING

I just put one in a Beaver motorhome. I used a 2x2x1/8" aluminum angle. The leg of the angle went in behind the dash to secure with screws. The other leg aided in mounting the bracket for the controller.

This comment will start some controversy, but you can mount it in the side box if you have a Johnson bar, the only time I needed to see it was the first adjustment, then I just use the Johnson bar to control the trailer brakes just like an air brake trailer.

Why do you need to see it, if it doesn't work you will know because you will have to use more truck brakes.

See I told you this will start some controversy :wub:

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

This comment will start some controversy, but you can mount it in the side box if you have a Johnson bar, the only time I needed to see it was the first adjustment, then I just use the Johnson bar to control the trailer brakes just like an air brake trailer.

Why do you need to see it, if it doesn't work you will know because you will have to use more truck brakes.

See I told you this will start some controversy :wub:

Roger

The truck does not have any room to the side of the Johnson bar to mount the controller. I think I am going with the idea of using 3M dual lock. If it does not work, there are no holes drilled into the dash. Then later I could come up with a different idea.

I don't see any controversy. Keep up the conversation.

Al

Read it again, Al. He's suggesting mounting it in a storage compartment. Don't see the controversy myself, as I agree that once it's set, you can forget it. Assuming you only pull 1 trailer, and don't need to repeatedly adjust.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Roger is talking about the side storage box right beside the drivers door. He made a nice board with all his wiring running to the Jackalopee with redundant junction boxes where he can isolate any electrical issues. Plus with a fuse panel there, you can add power leads anywhere you want.

Plenty of room to add the brake controller.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Roger is talking about the side storage box right beside the drivers door. He made a nice board with all his wiring running to the Jackalopee with redundant junction boxes where he can isolate any electrical issues. Plus with a fuse panel there, you can add power leads anywhere you want.

Hi Jim,

I have replied to your p/m.

Al

This sounds like a set-up that I should look at. I have a Jackalopee that stills needs to be installed. I need to take a closer or better look at the interior of my truck. Jim, you are talking about the storage box behind the drivers seat ?

Al

Brilliance always creates controversy. I like it. In fact, I think this winter's "do over" list just got a little longer.

The only thing I might add is a little indicator light, red of course, on the dash to show that it's all working. Of course that would be redundant, because when I do the "tug test", I'll already know........

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I hope this is not considered hijacking. I also plan to install a Hayes. We have a Johnson Bar and a Jackalope. If I wanted to install it in the storage area under the driver side dinette seat, where would I tap into the air line to activate the Hayes? I was planning on tapping in the dash behind the speedometer. Would I still do that and run a line from there to the driver's side storage compartment?

Jim

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

While you could tap the stop light air line from the trailer transfer valve, that would mean feeding a line into the cab.

Taping the stop light switch behind the speedometer means you are in the cab, just a lot of routing.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

I hope this is not considered hijacking. I also plan to install a Hayes. We have a Johnson Bar and a Jackalope. If I wanted to install it in the storage area under the driver side dinette seat, where would I tap into the air line to activate the Hayes? I was planning on tapping in the dash behind the speedometer. Would I still do that and run a line from there to the driver's side storage compartment?

Jim

Hi Jim,

I do not see any hijacking. Please ask all the questions that you need. You might have some questions that could help someone else.

Al

Being of semi-sound mind therefore easily distracted / confused :) - for the purposes of the rv land glossary ( where a 5th wheel is a "hitch" and hitch is also a "hitch", weight distribution bars are "sway bars", and a "5th wheel" is a semi-trailer coupled by a king pin to a "hitch" which is a 5th wheel...)

Is the "Johnson bar" (as in second def. below "Johnson bar (vehicle)") aka the trailer air brake control aka what truck drivers call "the trailer spike"?

Or is it a Volvo lever of some sort?

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Johnson bar may refer to:

A Johnson Bar is a control lever on a steam locomotive, used to control the timing of the admission of steam into the locomotive's pistons. By controlling this timing, the amount of power delivered to the wheels is regulated, as is the direction that the wheels rotate, giving the lever the alternate name of the reversing lever.

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Is the "Johnson bar" (as in second def. below "Johnson bar (vehicle)") aka the trailer air brake control . . .

Jump to: navigation, search

Yes, it's the trailer brake control lever, on vehicles so equipped (on new Volvo truck tractors, for example, it's deleted for no credit by default, unless that "option" is itself deleted during the ordering process).

In trucks that have one, it's typically located on the instrument panel somewhere, although not always. Mine is located on the right side of the steering column of my T2000, like a turn signal lever that's lost its way.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Jim, why not just mount it further up under the dash? The airlines are all there already and that way you only have to run the wiring to the back. There are plenty of places to hide it under the dash without having to run airlines under the dinette seats. Wires are much easier to run than airlines, in my opinion.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Archived