MaximumSignal Update?

MNRon

Yes, the antennas are both mounted correctly, and no, I see no change whatsoever regardless of how close or far away I hold the phone from the downward pointing ceiling antenna. This morning the signal strength is bouncing between -100 dBm and -120 dBm. and occasionally the phone falls back to 1x. Remember that I am able to acquire a good 4G signal here with the Wilson Cradle and the exterior antenna in the exact same spot. Obviously something is not right.

lets not tie up the forums . please use my email maximusignal @aol.com.. Check all connections and email me . Maybe we have a bad inside antenna.

Keeping You Connected

Proud Commercial Member #129 http://www.maximumsignal.net/

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK. I will contact you by e-mail. For those who are following, I will come back and report the results when the issue is resolved. I know there are many who are very interested.

2000 Volvo 770, 500HP/1650FP Cummins N14 and 10 Speed Autoshift 3.58 Rear 202" WB, 2002 Teton Aspen Royal 43 Foot, Burgman 650 Scooter

The only way to do the direct wired is fused and even that is sketchy as too many people fried Cyfre amps with sketchy wiring . Much more predictable this way.

Gord,

Thanks for providing clarification on the concern regarding direct wiring and the quick replies to the various issues that users are encountering.

One confusion that I have is if only fuses were involved in the 12V connector then a replacement device would not be needed. Another confusion is the fact that the label on the cigarette adapter shows an input voltage of 8-30V. Does that mean that it can be used in vehicles with 24 volt batteries?

It seems that the 12V connector has some type of voltage regulator and/or protection circuit instead of simply a fuse. Am I correct in my understanding?

2011 Bengal TX - "La Esperanza"
Ford F-350 Lariat gas with FX/4 pkg

Howdy!

I am about to order one of these units and I have a question for those that have already installed one of the RV unit. We have a 44' TH 5er and would like to know how others have routed the antenna from inside the RV to the roof area.

"Happy Trails"

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

Our inside antenna is effectively "hidden" from the bedroom end of the coach by a couple layers of thin RV paneling, but the effect on the signal levels is a minimal 1-2dB. Even outside in the patio area there's only a 2-3dB drop until about 10' out. The drop off may be more significant in weaker signal areas, but we haven't been stationary enough in those areas yet to do any checking. In the photo, the living area is to the left and the bedroom to the right. The patio area would be behind the photo.

4V2MSTwl.jpg

Thanks Dutch, this is exactly what I was going for, just painting it white but moving it off center so it doesn't look like a homing beacon for all to see. How did you run the cable, through the foam AC duct space or up through the roof and back down?

Gord,

Thanks for providing clarification on the concern regarding direct wiring and the quick replies to the various issues that users are encountering.

One confusion that I have is if only fuses were involved in the 12V connector then a replacement device would not be needed. Another confusion is the fact that the label on the cigarette adapter shows an input voltage of 8-30V. Does that mean that it can be used in vehicles with 24 volt batteries?

It seems that the 12V connector has some type of voltage regulator and/or protection circuit instead of simply a fuse. Am I correct in my understanding?

With that CLA it adjusts the power it can be used in a 24 volt CLA outlet , not direct wired It has a voltage regulator in it.

Keeping You Connected

With that CLA it adjusts the power it can be used in a 24 volt CLA outlet , not direct wired It has a voltage regulator in it.

Thanks!! That is what I thought. That is a good solution to protecting the amp.

I have a DHAP (Digital HAM Access Point) which uses an efficient DC/DC buck boost converter to power a Raspberry Pi for D-Star radio access. The external voltage range is 5 to 36 volts and the output is 5 volts to a micro USB for the Raspberry Pi.

Like some others, I am waiting on the car/mobile app for my short - 20 foot - Ford F-350 based camper.

Thanks Dutch, this is exactly what I was going for, just painting it white but moving it off center so it doesn't look like a homing beacon for all to see. How did you run the cable, through the foam AC duct space or up through the roof and back down?

I ran the cable through a hole drilled into the cabinet behind the antenna, and then routed it through the adjoining cabinets to the amplifier location on the same wall.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Howdy!

I am about to order one of these units and I have a question for those that have already installed one of the RV unit. We have a 44' TH 5er and would like to know how others have routed the antenna from inside the RV to the roof area.

"Happy Trails"

Chiefneon

When we had our Solar Panel installed, I had two double gang junction boxes mounted to the roof, with two two inch holes made into the roof. This was over a rear bedroom cabinet, and provided a direct and shortest path run to the controller/battery compartment areas. My 'communication cubby cabinet', is forward of this by about 6' (it's a wall of ceiling cabinets above the passenger side rear bedroom window. I've cut two 1" holes low along the back wall of these cabinets, and have antenna cable(s) (Wifi Ranger Cat 5 cable to the Umbiquti Antenna; Max Signal 13" Magnet antenna cable; And future a MIMO antenna cables. Still plenty of room for future cable expansion.)

Whenever doing a roof penetration for cabling, I recommend a good quality junction box. And I go overboard on sealing and attaching the junction box to the roof. We used multiple beads of 3M 5200, running out circles out from the middle hole, with a final 1/2 twist right/left while pressing down the junction boxes. Once totally cured. We went around the edges of the box with a redundant seal of Dicor seal. And finally on my install, we were also going with a BosKote roof coating, which we ran up the sides of the junction box, which also provided a few layers of protection too.

=========

Two popular methods of getting to the roof without adding new roof top penetrations, are:

-Fridge vent chimney

-Black/Grey/Drain piping to roof vents

Which one to choose is a choice on the objective of what you're mounting, and where you want it on the roof for the best install. In this case, either the rear or front is a good location for the Max Signal Antenna location, assuming mid coach mounting of the internal antenna. (Mine is on the ver rear of the coach, behind the rear AC unit.)

I reviewed my install options wth Gord. So looking at where our units AC Cover Vent and or pipe vents are, and factoring the 25' length of the wire with the antenna - will probably dictate what way to go for you.

Best of luck to you,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Howdy!

"Happy Trails"

Chiefneon

I routed the rooftop mag mount antenna cable through an existing Winegard 4-slot cable entry plate into the front cap area. From there, it's routed along the passenger side wall behind a trim piece that conceals other wiring, until it reaches the amplifier mounted on the wall just above the trim piece. I installed a 12-volt outlet in the side of a cabinet next to the amplifier.

Dutch

Two popular methods of getting to the roof without adding new roof top penetrations, are:

-Fridge vent chimney

Which one to choose is a choice on the objective of what you're mounting, and where you want it on the roof for the best install. In this case, either the rear or front is a good location for the Max Signal Antenna location, assuming mid coach mounting of the internal antenna. (Mine is on the ver rear of the coach, behind the rear AC unit.)

For our antennas I went with the fridge vent option. There's a cabinet directly against one side of the fridge vent cavity, so I drilled 1.5" hole from that cabinet into the fridge vent and ran PVC conduit from the cabinet through the vent cavity and up to the roof. Some of my gear is located in that cabinet, and some is mounted on the opposite side of the wall in the kitchen.

-Fridge vent chimney

Another option to consider is a Blue Sea Systems CableClam - https://www.bluesea.com/products/1001/CableClam_0.68in

I used one on the side of my roof to run a dual band VHF/UHF antenna. You drill a hole just large enough for the antenna connector and then mount the base plate to side, using a wood back plate for extra strength. The large rubber grommet seals tightly around the wire. They have larger sizes if needed. It is designed for use on boats.

Dutch - My location is similar you yours Dutch, which we both know is not the preferred location for optimum coverage in the coach. Gord was able to send me an off-white inside antenna, that very closely matches the vinyl material of our roof. But I agree that painting is another way to go. On ours, our cabinet bumps out (Where yours is refrigerator, ours is the glasses cabinet, that sticks about 10" further towards the middle of the coach.) I had a simple metal L bracket spray painted to match the roof/antenna. I mounted this to the side of the wood cabinet, and it provides a magnetic place to mount the antenna. The wire is run thru the AC Ducting from the bedroom, then fished over to the inside of the glasses cabinet. Where I have 2-3' of coiled wire, to extend the location more towards the middle if i want to. (Have not done this yet.) I mentioned earlier in this thread, that I chose this location due to it moving the inside antenna out of my head bumping potential, as well as it covers the cockpit area 12-15' away, and where we usually sit in our drivers side slide out, 7-10' away, depending upon which chair where in. I usually place my Verizon Samsung S6 HotSpot phone beside me, on the side cabinet of the Drivers Side Slide out. Which is 8-10' away from the inside antenna. From that location, the HotSpot provides good signal to our Samsung Smart TV, Oppo BluRay, Personal Laptops, as well as our WiFiRanger also had an adequate signal (The WiFiRanger is in the bedroom Communications Command Cabinet:)!), for rebroadcasting when I'm outside.

In fringe coverage locations, I'll temporally mount the Samsung S6 phone in a car holder that reminds me of a rubber gumbie twist man, and hang it 8-10" away from the inside antenna. (Being closer in these fringe areas, does improve signal strength.) So far, the DW has been 'OK' with this jury rigged set up. But if I find as time goes by that I need to have the phone closer to the antenna for optimum download speeds as the norm - I'll do a more permanent arrangement. May even move the antenna to a different location.
But that is what it's like with most new pieces of equipment. Trial and error, until you find out what works best for you specific needs. I'll second yours, and others comments, that I know that the inside antenna has provided cockpit support for both of our phones. Allowing connections in places that normally would have been none, to very weak. So remain pleased with the overall results of far!
Best to you, and all,
Smitty
I've put my wife's iPhone in the cradle, where we sometimes mount my Samsung S6 to optimize download speeds. It also shows the L bracket and inside antenna.

post-15309-0-18963000-1465938762_thumb.jpg

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Looks good, Smitty! The included Velcro is holding my inside antenna on the "mouse fur" ceiling material so far, but my "Plan B" is to attach an appropriate sized fender washer to the ceiling with a flat head screw to use the mag mount if needed. I haven't decided about the repaint yet.

Dutch

Gord,

Roof antenna installation would be much easier if I could route a bare cable from the roof combiner box to my electronics center. Any technical issue with terminating the roof antenna cable with this male TNC connector?

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

Gord,

Roof antenna installation would be much easier if I could route a bare cable from the roof combiner box to my electronics center. Any technical issue with terminating the roof antenna cable with this male TNC connector?

As long as you are proficient at it . Messing around with cable ends can be disaster if not done properly. I won't even do myself . I order all my custom cables from a company .

Keeping You Connected

Gord,

Thanks so much for the help with which maximum signal amp would suit. I so appreciate your time. Thank you!

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

• 2 weeks later...

Gord called me today and said that the mobile/car amps were shipping. He asked if I still wanted one. I was hesitant since I will be leaving for a long trip in a week. He said that I would get it by Tuesday. After a brief pause I said yes. The unit will have both types of indoor antennas.

Even though I will only have a few days to get it working, I will be able to test it during a group 4x4 trip from New Mexico to Montana over the continental divide - http://www.rawhyde-offroad.com/continental-divide.html

Cool video, Gord! We continue to have excellent results with our MaxAmp and our Verizon phones and Jetpacks. In addition, I'll soon be testing a low cost T-Mobile unlimited 4G/LTE data plan and Netgear cell modem/router in an area that's shown as no signal on their coverage map, and I'm expecting the MaxAmp will continue to give us good results.

Dutch

Cool video, Gord! We continue to have excellent results with our MaxAmp and our Verizon phones and Jetpacks. In addition, I'll soon be testing a low cost T-Mobile unlimited 4G/LTE data plan and Netgear cell modem/router in an area that's shown as no signal on their coverage map, and I'm expecting the MaxAmp will continue to give us good results.

Great to hear!!

Keeping You Connected

Archived