MaximumSignal Update?

MNRon

11 hours ago, Dp26 said:

Thank you for your succinct comment. I disagree with your statement of speed being the only fair test. Speed is controlled by the provider, not the amp - at least as I understand the FCC rules.

I also disagree that customers only care about speed. Does me no good to have a booster for areas I can already connect. What I need, and I suspect there are others, is to be connected as much as possible.

Perhaps I stated my speed comment wrong....In performance comparisons between two amps, speed is the only measurable element that is relevant between them. Speed is absolutely controlled by the provider, but properly tested, comparing two amps to the same provider is a fair measure of performance of the amp. You cannot do a single test, and you cannot test in a single location. But over time speed is the result of a superior amp. 

Customers do only care about speed - given the same location. Because the measure of speed encapsulates all the other elements of performance. Of COURSE the ability to connect is important....that is a given. But given connection, speed is the only attribute most people care about. 

I think we agree - I just was not as clear as I could have been.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/27/2017 at 6:14 AM, Max Signal said:

Our amplifier will see signal when others will not. 

The way you worded that is confusing. How does an amplifier "see" signals that other's can't? Maybe your ANTENNA sees signals that others don't and then amplifies it, but an amplifier actually detecting anything doesn't sound accurate.

7 minutes ago, eddie1261 said:

The way you worded that is confusing. How does an amplifier "see" signals that other's can't? Maybe your ANTENNA sees signals that others don't and then amplifies it, but an amplifier actually detecting anything doesn't sound accurate.

No the amplifier sees the signal . It has greater signal sensitivity.  And this amplifier power source supplies it with 12 volts . Less than 12 volts hurts performance.

Keeping You Connected

Proud Commercial Member #129 http://www.maximumsignal.net/

On 11/10/2017 at 7:39 PM, AquaDawg said:

With all due respect Dp26, specs can, and are, manipulated all the time by manufacturers, and they don't mean squat. I've also seen lots of feel good posts here about "we bought XYZ version 6000, and our signal is soooo muuuuch better than before we had an amp", which is also most un-useful.

Similar to how those pills that are pure powdered sugar make people feel better.....

You buy a product on the hype that you KNOW is going to do this or that and your mind has already convinced you that it is going to do wonders. Unfortunately this crap is so expensive that when you buy it, install it, and use it long enough to make an informed decision you are past the 47 hour return window and you are stuck with your $500 Pringle Cantenna that doesn't really, honestly help.

Can you tell I am a chronic skeptic?

When I hear people say things that are clues that they don't really know what they are talking about, I just skip the rest of the post. I view it as being similar to people telling you how their doctor is "the best" because that doctor helped THAT person.

8 minutes ago, Max Signal said:

No the amplifier sees the signal . It has greater signal sensitivity.  And this amplifier power source supplies it with 12 volts . Less than 12 volts hurts performance.

Your web page says this:

"You need to select an antenna for use in your vehicle."

If the amplifies "sees" the signal, why do you need an antenna? 

Never mind. I am not buying your product anyway.

I love the ignore feature!

2 hours ago, eddie1261 said:

Your web page says this:

The sensitivity on the amplifier sees signal that other devices or amplifiers cannot see. The antennas receive and rebroadcast the signal but it is the amplifier that enhances the signal and sends it back to the antennas to do such.  An antenna cannot amplify  signal on its own or even see a signal at very low levels without the amplifier. Sorry you do not understand how the technology works.

Keeping You Connected

On 11/11/2017 at 12:24 PM, Jack Mayer said:

First, let me state an opinion based on YEARS of testing, and not getting paid to do it. I'd guess I've done more testing than anyone else on this forum, and probably any other forum, if you count all the tests over the last 18 years.

Speed test is the only fair way to do head to head testing. Period. 

Speed is the only thing users care about.  But you do have to do the testing "correctly".

As to Gord's devices....my testing shows they work best in very poor signal areas. They do not give much performance increase in good or even moderate signal areas. One would suggest that that is the way you would WANT them to operate.  JMO.

So if I'm reading your post correctly Jack, along with some of your other previous replies, the Max Amp is going to have a better chance of getting out in a poor signal area than the 4G-X?

By the way, for some of us, being able to make the call is way more important than speed. I'd also like to throw out that using an app on your phone like "Signal Check Pro" to check the RSSI levels between two different amps in a poor signal area, is also an extremely fair way to compare them, particularly when roaming on 1x.

Just now, AquaDawg said:

So if I'm reading your post correctly Jack, along with some of your other previous replies, the Max Amp is going to have a better chance of getting out in a poor signal area than the 4G-X?

By the way, for some of us, being able to make the call is way more important than speed. I'd also like to throw out that using an app on your phone like "Signal Check Pro" to check the RSSI levels between two different amps in a poor signal area, is also an extremely fair way to compare them, particularly when roaming on 1x.

In my testing - which was extensive and lengthy - the Maxamp outperformed the 4G-M only when the signal was very poor. VERY poor. The MaxAmp seemed able to process this poor signal and make better "use" of it than the -M (I do not have a -X). That is the best I can tell you. 

As far as voice goes - I no longer test voice. But your point is fair.  Having good voice signal is important to some. 

We will have to disagree on signal levels. I have thousands - and I mean thousands - of test cases where a worse rssi outperformed a "better" rssi. Signal level is one component that is important, but not the only one. Which is why actual speed is a better test measure. I no longer test 1x networks, but your point about signal level may be accurate there. I'd have to refer back to 5 year old - or older - test data to see if that is the case, but it may be.  However, in more modern network protocols signal level is not the key criteria. 

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

On 11/11/2017 at 10:05 AM, Max Signal said:

Yes , Working directly with Tmobile to develop amplifier for them . I appreciate all the support folks . 

Is this going to be an entirely new amp, and will it be T-mobile only? Or will it still boost Verizon/USCC CDMA 1x along with band 71?

46 minutes ago, AquaDawg said:

Is this going to be an entirely new amp, and will it be T-mobile only? Or will it still boost Verizon/USCC CDMA 1x along with band 71?

At this point the only carrier that will be using the Band 71 - 600 mhz is Tmobile .  They bought the majority of it at the last auction. The amplifier we are currently prototyping for T mobile will cover all frequencies they cover . The design of the boards currently only support 5 bands . The cost of covering more than that would greatly increase costs. Depends what frequencies Verizon is broadcasting on . 

Keeping You Connected

6 hours ago, eddie1261 said:

Your web page says this:

Using your logic all I need is a really big antenna and no amp, right? 

Like a car stereo with no speakers, the stereo plays the music, right? Why do you need speakers?

And you are absolutely right about the ignore feature...See ya!!

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

22 hours ago, Dp26 said:

I can see that point. But, would the tower be overwhelmed if all within range were boosting to get max speed? I suppose that is what prompted the current regs.

Provider also includes the hardware serving the content... and the content. Netflix HD needs only about 5 megabits download speed.

At home, I get about -110db to -116db on cell, just under 2 miles from tower. Gives me about 6 to 7mb download speed. Better than dsl, fast enough to stream. Nice backup to cable internet.

Yes, the current regs require the booster amp to scale back on power as the signal from the tower gets stronger, just as cell phones/hotspots do by design. With a decent "native" signal, the amplifier should effectively shut down. And I see that as a good thing...

I've streamed video content on several occasions using one of our Verizon 3G only Jetpacks at 1.5-2.5Mbps with minimal buffering, albeit the resolution gets dropped to 720 or 480 most of the time. Our 4G/LTE AT&T Mobley hotspot works better of course, with rarely any buffering at all, and solid 1080 pretty much whenever it's available. We nearly always have speeds above 7-8Mbps with the Max Amp working, on up to 20-30Mbps where it's not needed.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2017 at 8:49 PM, Dutch_12078 said:

Yes, the current regs require the booster amp to scale back on power as the signal from the tower gets stronger, just as cell phones/hotspots do by design. With a decent "native" signal, the amplifier should effectively shut down. And I see that as a good thing...

I've streamed video content on several occasions using one of our Verizon 3G only Jetpacks at 1.5-2.5Mbps with minimal buffering, albeit the resolution gets dropped to 720 or 480 most of the time. Our 4G/LTE AT&T Mobley hotspot works better of course, with rarely any buffering at all, and solid 1080 pretty much whenever it's available. We nearly always have speeds above 7-8Mbps with the Max Amp working, on up to 20-30Mbps where it's not needed.

Dutch,

What are you using with your Mobley?  I am looking to get a booster to give my Mobley a stronger/better signal.  I have thought about putting my sim into an Unite Explore, but I worry that ATT could cancel my deal.  As it has been said that ATT sees what device is connecting.  But the Explore has more bands and broadcasts with more bands also.  People report a significant gain with the Explore.  But I would like a booster that can work with ATT and Verizon.  This way I could use my Mobley or IPhone 6 for my WiFi needs.  Thanks for you thoughts and input.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Our Mobley is happily working with our Max Amp RV, just as our Verizon Jetpacks do. I did have the Mobley SIM in a Unite hotspot for several months, but when AT&T started changing some of their hotspot plans around, I thought it best to move it back to the Mobley for awhile rather than risk losing the $20 unlimited plan. I'll probably go back to the Unite at some point for the features you mentioned.

Dutch

I have my Mobley sim in a Unite Explore. Obviously it works better than in the Mobley. All the terms of service I can find show that a sim can be moved between hotspots without violation. I've also talked to store personnel who said the same thing. After all, if you upgrade hotspots, that is exactly what you do....and it you have multiple hotspots but only one sim you can move it between them. What you CANNOT do is move between device types. Of course, ATT can decide to change the terms of service and you would have to go back to the mobley.....but I don't really see how they could terminate you without warning.

www.jackdanmayer.com

On 11/25/2017 at 8:31 AM, Jack Mayer said:

I have my Mobley sim in a Unite Explore. Obviously it works better than in the Mobley. All the terms of service I can find show that a sim can be moved between hotspots without violation. I've also talked to store personnel who said the same thing. After all, if you upgrade hotspots, that is exactly what you do....and it you have multiple hotspots but only one sim you can move it between them. What you CANNOT do is move between device types. Of course, ATT can decide to change the terms of service and you would have to go back to the mobley.....but I don't really see how they could terminate you without warning.

How much better in getting a stronger signal and better speed is the Explore vs the Mobley?  Are you running an external antenna on your Explorer?  If so what improvement do you notice and which one do you use? 

Thanks, Jack, that's good to see. Where I am for the next month, the AT&T signal is very good even without the Max Amp helping, so the Mobley has been doing a good job speed wise at 25-30/7-10 Mbps. I'll switch back to the Unite for the extra connections without going through our Pepwave SOG though.

Dutch

8 hours ago, rynosback said:

How much better in getting a stronger signal and better speed is the Explore vs the Mobley?  Are you running an external antenna on your Explorer?  If so what improvement do you notice and which one do you use? 

Up to twice as fast - or even more. I have no external antenna on the Unite. At least not yet. I'm setting up another antenna in my array to try, and it will be dedicated to the Unite. But that is a ways out. 

It does depend on what ATT bands are available in the area you are in...the Mobley is pretty old and does not connect to some of the faster bands.

www.jackdanmayer.com

There is something amiss with www.maximumsignal.net.  Somebody forget to pay the bill?

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

On 11/27/2017 at 9:06 AM, Jack Mayer said:

Up to twice as fast - or even more. I have no external antenna on the Unite. At least not yet. I'm setting up another antenna in my array to try, and it will be dedicated to the Unite. But that is a ways out. 

It does depend on what ATT bands are available in the area you are in...the Mobley is pretty old and does not connect to some of the faster bands.

Jack,

I just bought an Explorer 815s on eBay.  If I understand it correctly all I need to do is transfer the SIM card. Will it update the firmware/software when connected?  Or do I need to do something manually if even update at all.  I am also going to pick up a Netgear DC112A Smart Cradle in hopes that it will boost the signal as well as broadcast a stronger signal.  Thanks for your advice and thoughts.

I tried to private meaasage you this but the site states that you do not receive PMs.

So what AT&T Explore is recommended to replace the Mobley?
That the slim card in the Mobley can be used.

Unite Explore
Unite Explore 815S
Unite Explore Pro
Netgear Unite Explore 815S

A one that is for AT&T or a unlocked one?

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

Archived