Pickup Truck Bed Length for 5th Wheel

K5RCD

I understand that a short bed pickup truck may need a sliding 5th wheel hitch for adequate clearance for safely making sharp turns and backing up. My question is, what bed length is adequate with a standard fixed hitch, 8 ft. or 6-1/2 ft.? I am particularly asking about a newer Ford F350 crew cab truck. I would likely be most interested in an auto slider unit if a slider is necessary. There is no way I would want to chance damage by forgetting to make an external adjustment. Hitch cost is not a factor.

X2 on the above. I will only have an 8' bed.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

I'd also suggest an 8 foot bed for towing, this will also allow an auxiliary fuel tank/tool box combo in the bed. It sure is nice not having to hunt for a fuel station with room to maneuver in while towing. We carry 70 extra gallons of diesel (50 would be fine too) so only have to fuel every 3 days when towing. By then we'll disconnect to explore or go out to eat or run errands so it's easy to fuel. Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

As big greg said, an 8' bed allows for carrying as much stuff as your GVW allows, if you use boards to keep things away from the hitch. I've seen extended bed trucks towing a 5er with bicycles mounted on the pin box of the 5er, and another with a genset mounted on the pin box. A standard bed (6') truck does not have a OEM fuel tank as large as the extended bed (8') model either. I've seen standard bed trucks with an in-bed fuel tank, but it and the hitch fills the bed, plus the fuel tank must not extend above the bed rails.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Archived