Diners, Drive-ins & Dives. - HDT Style

VegasFlyer

After reading a recent post by Trey & Susan, I got thinking about how many folks on here would be excellent sources to share some of the great eating establishments throughout North America.

Now I could be totally wrong, but I would bet would bet that Susan and Trey (and ME) are not the only foodies on this forum.

Here's a challenge to everyone, list out some of those little whole in the wall places or the places that you either regularly go to or definitely recommend to friends.

The Triple D show is great though it is rumored that a lot that wind up on the show was due to money being paid by the business owner. It might be fun to see what some of the members here could come up with.

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

Milt's diner - Moab Utah. Old fashioned burgers, home made fries, and milkshakes. Got there every time we are in Moab (which is quite a bit). Parking is hit or miss. If the place is empty, you could pull a rig into the parking lot (in and out access), but if the place is packed, find a place along side the road and walk.

http://www.miltsstopandeat.com/

Bruce's bar - Severance Colorado (between Ft. Collins and Greeley). Used to have awesome Rocky Mtn Oysters. It is in a very small town, so any where you park is within walking distance.

http://www.brucesbar123.com/

I'm sure I have more....

Chris & Tonya

'99 Freightliner FLD120, '01 Wabash Toyhauler (32' garage, 20' LQ)

27b.jpg.d0423223324307d7b8525a90ffe5746e.jpg

Prairie Nut Hut, Altoona, KS - Hoppin Nut Basket (frog legs and mountain oysters)

My favorite is the hand breaded chicken fried steak sandwich.

Eishens's Bar, Okarche, OK (oldest bar in Oklahoma) Famous for their whole fried chickens!

http://eischensbar.com/

1999 Volvo VNL610, Cummins M11 - 350/400 HP, 10 speed Rockwell - 'CHIEF'

Custom flatbed with TrailerSaver air hitch.

3 cyl 8000 watt Kubota diesel generator.

New Mexico April 2019.jpg

Here's my list:

Santa Fe Bite, Santa Fe, NM -- one of the best, thickest, juiciest hamburgers you can find. Don't try going there in an HDT though.

Hoskin's Rexall, Clinton, TN -- old-school lunch counter.

Joe & Aggie's Cafe, Holbrook, AZ. Easy HDT parking, might be tight with a long rig.

Chili Works, Los Alamos, NM Real New Mexican food. Park at Smith's and walk a couple of blocks.

Hickory House, Gahanna, OH

Massey's Pizza, Reynoldsburg, OH (other locations in Columbus area, plus one in Pawley's Island, SC)-- Columbus-style pizza. Easy parking in back (Kroger shopping center)

Cattlemen's, Oklahoma City, OK -- Right in front of the stockyards; one of the best (and more expensive) sirloins I've had. Sat at the lunch counter--there was an hour's wait for a table for one even at 10:00 on a weeknight. Park in back.

Char-Grill, Raleigh, NC -- no easy HDT parking. Order on paper, and drop it in the chute straight to the cook doing the charring.

Cook-Out -- lots of locations branching out a couple hundred miles or so from central NC. Best $5 you can spend on a meal. Many locations open until 4am on weekends (and usually busy too). Most don't have indoor seating--good place to go on a nice day/night.

Parkway Bakery & Tavern, New Orleans, LA. Home of the Po' Boy. Take the Smart.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

This is a great start!

I will start a spreadsheet with the info that everyone submits and forward the info to the powers to be for inclusion in the Heavy Hauler Guide or similar document.

If possible, please include info about HDT friendly parking and either a link to their website.

Thanks,

John

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

John, you've started a snowball down a steep and slippery slope.

Just so ya know, a bunch of my motorcycle friends and I used to call ourselves "Buffet Racers". :ph34r:

Best fried chicken, Wagner's in Oldenburg, Indiana, 3 miles north of the Batesville exit on I-74. On street parking only, but you can leave your rig here and I'll take you. Order family style, 1/2 chicken each, smashed taters and real chicken gravy, green beans and very good slaw. Chicken here is lightly breaded and VERY peppery. Pan fried in lard.

Mile high pie at Blue Springs Cafe, just east of the I-70/I-55 split near St. Louis. Cream pies measure 11 1/2" tall, and fruit pies were 4 1/2". Split a sandwich so you can each get a piece of pie. Plenty of parking for the rig.

I might add that I've eaten at a bunch of places Triple D has featured. About half were really good. A few were awful.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

One of my favorite resources is the RoadFood website. There aren't nearly as many listings as some of the other restaurant directories, but each listing has pictures of food to make you hungry and enough detail to decide if it's worth going. Something about rating restaurants based on how far you should drive to go fits in well with a travelling lifestyle...

If that's not enough, there are active forums with all kinds of suggestions.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

John, you've started a snowball down a steep and slippery slope.

Just so ya know, a bunch of my motorcycle friends and I used to call ourselves "Buffet Racers". :ph34r:

Best fried chicken, Wagner's in Oldenburg, Indiana, 3 miles north of the Batesville exit on I-74. On street parking only, but you can leave your rig here and I'll take you. Order family style, 1/2 chicken each, smashed taters and real chicken gravy, green beans and very good slaw. Chicken here is lightly breaded and VERY peppery. Pan fried in lard.

Mile high pie at Blue Springs Cafe, just east of the I-70/I-55 split near St. Louis. Cream pies measure 11 1/2" tall, and fruit pies were 4 1/2". Split a sandwich so you can each get a piece of pie. Plenty of parking for the rig.

I might add that I've eaten at a bunch of places Triple D has featured. About half were really good. A few were awful.

It might be slippery, but what a slope to slide.....lol

Any HDT'er who does not love enjoying a great hole in the wall place or cherished culinary treasure, well, they should just be publicly stripped of their HDT and anything having to do with this forum....

I will add some of my places soon.

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

One of my favorite resources is the RoadFood website. There aren't nearly as many listings as some of the other restaurant directories, but each listing has pictures of food to make you hungry and enough detail to decide if it's worth going. Something about rating restaurants based on how far you should drive to go fits in well with a travelling lifestyle...

If that's not enough, there are active forums with all kinds of suggestions.

Good points and I will be adding a link to Yelp or some similar food site for folks.

The problem with some of the sites like Yelp, is that it can be hard to tell whether the great overwhelming reviews are from the owner and staff, while the overwhelming horrible reviews are from the competition and disgruntled former employees. The one advantage here is that most folks will not have a horse in the race as to reviews. Also who better to add the HDT parking info, than one of us?

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

Mary's Place, Theodore, AL

BK Tacos, Tucson, AZ

The Ridgewood

900 Elizabethton Highway, Bluff City, TN

The best pulled pork anywhere! Hard to find, but worth it.

Beyond Bread, Tucson, AZ

Melio's Trattoria, Tubac, AZ

Fred's Arena, Tucson, AZ

Tiny's Saloon

4900 W Ajo Hwy, Tucson, Az

La Septima Cafe, Brandon, FL

Cuban sandwich

CK Smokehouse, Parish, FL

Cock of the Walk, Nashville, TN

Catfish

Jack's Bar-B-Que, Nashville, TN

The one on Trinity Lane

Black's BBQ, Lockhart, TX

Lexington BBQ, Lexington, NC

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

Mary's Place, Theodore, AL

BK Tacos, Tucson, AZ

The Ridgewood

900 Elizabethton Highway, Bluff City, TN

The best pulled pork anywhere! Hard to find, but worth it.

Beyond Bread, Tucson, AZ

Melio's Trattoria, Tubac, AZ

Fred's Arena, Tucson, AZ

Tiny's Saloon

4900 W Ajo Hwy, Tucson, Az

La Septima Cafe, Brandon, FL

Cuban sandwich

CK Smokehouse, Parish, FL

Cock of the Walk, Nashville, TN

Catfish

Jack's Bar-B-Que, Nashville, TN

The one on Trinity Lane

Black's BBQ, Lockhart, TX

Lexington BBQ, Lexington, NC

Great info!

If you get a chance can you share what you like at those places, or what is special about the place?

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

No big rig parking, but if you're camping on the "Quiet Side of the Smokies", here's the best breakfast place I've found. Country ham breakfast, or biscuits and gravy are both very good:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.riverstonefamilyrestaurant.com%2F&source=maps&ved=0CAkQ61goBDAAahUKEwjF_4KfpYTHAhVHmIAKHRmuB-0&ei=Jdm6VYXZD8ewggSZ3J7oDg&cd=1&usg=AFQjCNFzCCLF9pQOdb7FMsaRiYsKrF9dgg&sig2=z6a1ptM6d9pWrdoA3s0j3w

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Alaska Bound? Grande Prairie has 2 fine establishments for the gear-head crowd. Both the Northside and West locations of A&W have a cruise night every Thursday in the summer. Parking is abundant at both locations, with a charity fundraiser for the MS Society of Canada. Our KW has been several times, including in full travel dirt.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Try the DINKY DINNER in Goldfield Nevada.........Great Breakfast........And plenty of HDT parking........

Drive on...........(Steak-n-eggs please......)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Mel's Diner, where the movie "Mel's Diner" was filmed in Phoenix, AZ They are big rig friendly, parking in the lot and on the side street. Just off I-17 about a mile to the east, and south of McDowel Road, on Grand Avenue. A waiter named Frank works there, and is surley and in your face if you catch him right..... just like Mel was.

Bigtrailer

Near Clemson, SC is a bar-b-que "joint" called the Smokin' Pig. It's only open Wed - Sat from 11am - 9pm...or until the meat runs out! The pulled pork sandwich is the best I've eaten....that includes Memphis, KC and Texas. It's a dirt parking lot and next door could fit an HDT or two but a Smart guarantee's a space! LOL

2016 Volvo VNL780 D13 I-Shift

2016 DRV 44 Houston

2015 Smart Cabriolet

Thanks for the participation so far everyone. I am on the road this week and will put all this into a spreadsheet this weekend and post it for everyone to stash for reference.

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

We just hit Cattlemans in OKC for a late lunch early dinner. I'm still full and the steak was so tender, seasoned and cooked to my liking :wub:

I went there last night. It is hard to beat their Blue Ribbon Special......

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

Archived