Can I put a regular faucet in a camper?

The faucet in my camper is crap. Why do they put such garbage in the RV. For a few dollars more they could have something decent. Shower is the same, but I don't think I can change it.

I wanted to change the sink faucet in the kitchen. Will a standard bathroom faucet work OK or is there something special about an RV faucet? My faucet does not have a pump on it. It only operates when the electric pump is on or city water.

Thanks

Usually you can, take a flashlight under the counter and get a look at the plumbing to faucet connectors. If they are the usual ones just grab a new faucet that matches up to them.

Sometimes the RV folks are really cheap and just cut the plumbing to connect directly to the faucet, that can make switching to a faucet with slightly longer or shorter connections a pain. What I do in that case is buy some 12" extension hoses and hook them up in a loop to avoid having to modify the plumbing.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

It would help to know what kind of camper and faucet you have.

I changed out the faucet in my fifth wheel (much too large and luxurious to call a camper) because I was having to disassemble it and clean it out every couple of months and even when it worked it didn't work well. The household faucet I installed has been working flawlessly for over three years and works much better with a better flow.

Just understand that a household faucet may flow more water and that may be a concern if boondocking.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

We got our kitchen and bath faucet from Home Depot. The new kitchen faucet had a pull out neck which eliminated the need for the spray head that was separate from the camper faucet. So I made use of the extra hole in the counter top by installing a soap dispenser which we use for hand and dish soap.

Greg

Start your faucet shopping at the replacement parts section, if there are no replacement parts stocked for a brand it is either perfect and lasts forever (not likely) or it is junk you may want to avoid.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Matching the faucet to the plumbing connection was already mentioned. Now days the length of the threaded studs from the faucet can be any of several different lengths. Some faucets just have two flexible copper pipes with thread ends coming out of the center of the faucet. I like to take the old faucet with me to see if I can get a replacment I like that will fit with no modifications. If not, the flexible supply hoses mentioned will often work. The pex pipe used in many RVs is pretty easy to work with and the Sharkbite or similar connections make shortening, splicing, etc. easy. If I have to shorten or splice the pipes, I like to install a union that has a shutoff valve. That way if I need or want to shut off the water I can do so for just that fixture without turning off the water to the entire RV. I like single lever faucets on the sink and vanity as I feel it saves water by not having to adjust the mix every time it is turned off and on.

, I like to install a union that has a shutoff valve. That way if I need or want to shut off the water I can do so for just that fixture without turning off the water to the entire RV.

Me too! If your RV doesn't have these it is a tremendous improvement that costs very little.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

No you can't! You have to purchase a new faucet from Camping World ONLY ! Failure to do so will cause your black tank to leak and your reefer to fail. You also have to purchase a new mattress from them ONLY or you will never sleep again.

Of course, none of the above is true but CW would want you to believe it is. Go ahead and install whatever faucet you want that was purchased where you wanted.........it's YOUR camper.

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010

2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW Lariat Crew Cab

2012 Montana 3585SA

Some of the newer RV's (DRV is one) will have a manifold in the basement that will have home runs to each fixture that have shutoffs built in. That will eliminate the need to have a cutoff valve at each location. It comes in very handy to be able to get into one central location and shut off the water flow to individual outlets.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

We installed a new Moen in our first HitchHiker. No problem. I prefer cutoffs at each faucet but that isn't always how they are installed. I'll have to check my rig as I am doing my systems last sanity check today. I just got the 30 Amp outlet and water line to my parking spot next to and attached to the big steel workshop building in the last two weeks. 200 foot trenching by hand in this heat was a killer. Done.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

The only "must" is to make sure the pipe spacing is the same as the old one.

We put a Moen kitchen faucet in our rigs. No problem at all.

Our MH came with Moen faucets, when the kitchen began leaking I replaced it with a another like model from Lowes. FWIW Moen faucets are warranted for life, but I didn't have time to wait the ordering and shipping time to receive the replacement cartridge.

OH, I did have to buy adapters to fit the new faucet intakes pipes though, I guess something changed between 1999 and last year.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I helped my buddy replace his faucet in his Vista MH. We drove to Lowes, picked out an appropriate faucet (2 hole, 3 hole or 4 hole) that he liked. Drove back to his MH and about a half hour later his sink was back in service.

GS Lifetime #822128658, FMCA #F431170

2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Extended Class B

A standard kitchen faucet is 8" on center between the handles. A standard lavatory faucet is 4" on center. Sometimes they put some "Mobile Home" plastic Chinese junk that is different, and if it is a "single" handle unit the above is still pretty much correct.

Check the distance between the handles and if it seems "standard size" then it will work. If it is a kitchen faucet and the distance is 4" on center, they have come out with some lavatory faucets that are high rise that will work.

On your shower, I have found that the best think to do is to use an OXOGENIC shower head http://www.amazon.com/ETL-26781-White-Oxygenics-Shower/dp/B00F5MUB66/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439007075&sr=8-1&keywords=oxygenics+shower+head which induces lots of air in with the water and makes it see that there is much more water coming out, much as an aerator on a faucet does.

Traveling America in "God's Grace"

No you can't! You have to purchase a new faucet from Camping World ONLY ! Failure to do so will cause your black tank to leak and your reefer to fail. You also have to purchase a new mattress from them ONLY or you will never sleep again.

LOL!!

Thanks for a good laugh, I love it!!

I love a little good humor mixed in every now and then.........

:D

Overbuilt from the Ground Up

05 RAM 3500 CTD 4x4 Q/C Laramie DRW/NV5600/3.73, B&W Gooseneck, MaxBrake, PacBrake PRXB, Brite Box Fogster, BD steering Box Brace
2014 BoonHauler 3614

Archived