Texas Rv registration

Charles Skinner

As we all know, Texas has a new system of inspection and registration now. I got a letter today stating that my 5th wheel registration is due soon, and it seems to state that my 5th wheel must be inspected before I can go forward with the registration of my 5th wheel. Do you understand it this way? As we know, Texas has never be much on checking inspections on 5th wheels in the past. Do you know anything about this?

C. S.

Guest THE TRAILERKING

There should be more mandantory inspection all over North America. You'd be surprised at some of the junk being dragged around on the highways endangering people.

As we know, Texas has never be much on checking inspections on 5th wheels in the past. Do you know anything about this?

That, I'm sure, was the driving force behind the "one sticker" program. Not just the lax enforcement on recreational trailers -- there aren't that many, and most aren't severely under-maintained -- but on vehicles of every kind. Now, non-compliant owners can't get away with simply skipping a trip to the inspection station (easy to do) and hoping that a LEO doesn't notice the expired sticker (all too frequently, a pretty good bet). From the state's standpoint, the "no inspection, no registration" program makes a lot of sense.

Inconvenient though it may be, we're all going to have to hook up and drag the ol' fiver to the inspection station once a year at renewal time, unless, of course, the trailer is out of state at the time of renewal.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

The inspection requirement for trailers over 4500# is nothing new. The law requiring inspections has been on the books for a number of years. It is way under enforced in the past. I have seen too many trailers on the road that would not pass a safety inspection.

I had our trailer inspected yearly even though it may not have been convenient. The problem has been finding an inspection station that can accommodate a larger trailer and truck.

The largest portion of the inspections required is for the motor vehicles when compared to the RV inspections. The One Sticker is to try and streamline the system and less paper work.

The bottom line is you have to get the trailer inspected before you can get your reregistration. I had ours inspected and then a few days later I went online and took care of the registration and receive the tag sticker in the mail, a couple of weeks later.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

If the vehicle is out of the state at the time of renewal of the registration, what you need is to get a copy of the Safety Inspection Self Certification form from TX-DMV and file it at the time of registration.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I just renewed online and it was simple. During the process, one screen asked if the vehicle was out of the state. When I responded yes, I was,allowed to self certify and agree to have the vehicle inspected within three days following my return to Texas. I paid the fee with a credit card and five days later the registration arrived.

In the commercial aerospace world it seems that every minute the aircraft is on the ground some geek is peeking into a lot of places to see what is loose, leaking, or about to fall off............it's called a "Progressive-Inspection" and it works fairly well.

Our RV most of the time has a horse (Dolly-the-paint-horse) riding in it.......... It would seem that if the Dollytrolley were to breakdown it would be so simply unload Dolly , saddle-up and ride away from the Freightshaker..........this is a dream....in the real world being broke-down with a horse in the RV mix is a major headache........only a couple of tow companies will deal with horse rigs.

I have found that the Progressive-Inspection method works fairly well for RV trailers since much of the RV rolling gear tends to be fairly low-quality and tends to be highly loaded........

To tell the truth I think I spend more time now inspecting the RV that we have now than most aircraft I operated.......

On edit: While inspection is a part of this thread the other part of the thread pertains to the Texas registration process that involves a certain-level-of-inspection.........my point is that the RV owner/ operator is actually the chief-inspector at the start and end of the day..........

Drive on..........(Inspect often........)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

We are ordering a 2016 DRV Mobile Suites Atlanta. It should be delivered to the DRV dealer in Elk City, OK in October. We are full time RVers and have a physical address in Mesquite, TX. Is it necessary to go to the Tax office in Mesquite to register the RV? Can we register at any Tax office in the state? I know we can get it inspected anywhere in Texas that inspects trailers.

Any ideas?

Joe

2017 Dodge 3500 Laramie 4x4 dually 4.10 Aisin trans. Rear factory air suspension.
2016 DRV Mobile Suites 43' Atlanta

Just do it by mail, Joe. That way you don't have to bother with inspection.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Just do it by mail, Joe. That way you don't have to bother with inspection.

You mean that the first registration of the RV can be done by mail? My current rig registration has been renewed via mail, but was not sure the original registration could be done the same way. I do not know if the OK dealer will handle the taxes or if we will have to do that ourselves. Can that be done by mail?

Joe

2017 Dodge 3500 Laramie 4x4 dually 4.10 Aisin trans. Rear factory air suspension.
2016 DRV Mobile Suites 43' Atlanta

Joe, Section 18.6 of the Texas Motor Vehicle Title Manual provides for an exemption from inspection prior to titling for full-time RVers that purchase a new RV while out of state, so titling and registering without returning to your home county when you're out of state must be possible. I'd recommend contacting your county's Assessor/Collector's office for instructions on how to proceed.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

We were out east at time of registration. Called Polk county and the lady said write full time rv'er on registration and have it inspected when you return to Texas. But, she added, this will not get you out of a citation if stopped in Texas by badge toters. We had it inspected and went to the tax office in Livingston and received the license tag. The lady also stamped on her registration paper a statement saying that I certify by my signature that I had no tickets or warrants because of the outdated tag on the license plate. One month overdue.

The inspection took about five minutes. Running lights, signals, hazards, brake lights, static and under tow. That's it.

2004 Volvo 630 left tandem with 12 speed Freedomline

2014 Sandpiper 35 ROK 42' fifth wheel

Western Golf & Country Cart (EZ-GO frame)

The inspection took about five minutes. Running lights, signals, hazards, brake lights, static and under tow. That's it.

They should have done more. Here is the DPS official list.......

Items of Inspection for a Trailers or Mobile Homes

05.06 Inspect All Trailers, Semitrailers, Pole Trailers, or Mobile Homes Exceeding 4,500 Pounds Actual Gross Weight or Registered Weight For: (Listed in suggested order of inspection) Refer to Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations, if required.

* Check for evidence of Financial Responsibility on towing vehicle

1. Brakes (system) (If gross weight exceeds 4,500 pounds)

2. Tires

3. Wheel Assembly

4. Safety Guards or Flaps (if four tires or more on rearmost axle) Pole trailers exempt.

5. Tail Lamps (2)

6. Stop Lamps (2)

7. License Plate Lamp (1)

8. Rear Red Reflectors (2)

9. Turn Signal Lamps

10. Clearance Lamps

11. Side Marker Lamps

12. Side Reflectors

13. Side Marker Lamps and Reflectors (30 feet or more in overall length)

(Refer to Reference Section as per lighting diagrams and as applicable to the particular trailer being inspected.)

14. Serial or Vehicle Identification Number

15. Window Tint.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

They did but I did not think it was necessary to post the great American novel about an inspection. It still took five minutes and I am well aware of what the DPS site says. The inspection was for a fifth wheel.

They did but I did not think it was necessary to post the great American novel about an inspection. It still took five minutes and I am well aware of what the DPS site says. The inspection was for a fifth wheel.

It wasn't a novel, simply what the inspection involves. If done properly, it takes more than five minutes. I assumed it was for a fifth wheel since that is what is listed in your signature.

No need to get your panties in a knot.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

They inspect for window tint on a trailer? :blink:

Does that mean they can reject you if your trailer's windows are tinted too dark? :rolleyes:

Chip

Go figure.........

Drive on.........(In the dark......)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

It wasn't a novel, simply what the inspection involves. If done properly, it takes more than five minutes. I assumed it was for a fifth wheel since that is what is listed in your signature.

No need to get your panties in a knot.

Don't you worry about it. I enjoy people imparting their vast knowledge of subjects on folks that they deem not as educated or worldly as they are.

Don't you worry about it. I enjoy people imparting their vast knowledge of subjects on folks that they deem not as educated or worldly as they are.

Worry? Hardly.

My post was intended to be helpful and share information about the thread subject. What was the purpose of you deliberately posting false information about your inspection experience?

You can have the last word. Regards.

• 3 weeks later...

What was the purpose of you deliberately posting false information about your inspection experience?

Exactly what did he post that was "false"? If you weren't there, how do you know how long his inspection took or what the inspector inspected?

Also, if you are going to post "facts" make sure you have them. The list you posted came from DPS's website, and is NOT exactly what the law says since it is an incomplete list. Maybe you should go read the Texas Transportation Code so you can post the complete list of items inspected during an inspection.

And if you think that inspection stations spend more than 5-10 minutes inspecting a recreational trailer, then you have never had one inspected.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

In his first post, he stated that these items were all that got checked. "That's it".

Running lights, signals, hazards, brake lights, static and under tow. That's it.

After I suggested that they should have checked more than that, he replies that "they did" but he didn't think it was necessary to post it. Therefore, I asked what was the purpose of posting an incomplete list the first time (false information).

They did but I did not think it was necessary to post the great American novel about an inspection.

Exactly what did he post that was "false"? If you weren't there, how do you know how long his inspection took or what the inspector inspected?

Also, if you are going to post "facts" make sure you have them. The list you posted came from DPS's website, and is NOT exactly what the law says since it is an incomplete list. Maybe you should go read the Texas Transportation Code so you can post the complete list of items inspected during an inspection.

And if you think that inspection stations spend more than 5-10 minutes inspecting a recreational trailer, then you have never had one inspected.

Nowhere have I stated that his inspection involved any thing more than what he stated it did. He's the one who changed the details of the inspection. I posted the official list from the DPS's website to illustrate that the inspection should involve more items than what Dave originally listed. Since, the DPS is responsible for enforcement of the inspection station system, I figured their list was a good place to start.

As far as time spent getting inspected, I've been getting vehicle inspections in Texas for as long as I can remember. I'd say 5 to 10 minutes is about average, nor did I ever suggest that Dave was misrepresenting that time frame.

Archived