Class C Question

GypsyQueen7

Hi, I'm getting ready to start full-timing in my not-yet-purchased RV, and keep wavering between a class A or class C. For the class C, I was thinking of finding one that has the bed over the cab and a 'bedroom' in the rear, which I would then change into my jewelry making studio. My question is, if you can't find shade, how hot does it get in the bed over the cab, and does the A/C eliminate or at least mitigate that issue?

Thanks!

Kirsten

“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.”

― Friedrich Nietzsche

Welcome to the Escapees Forum!!!

Having owned a Truck Camper and a Class C, I am of the opinion that the over the cab bunk is not that great for other than kids. I could not sit up in ours without hitting my head. I suggest you give very serious consideration as to whether you want to climb up and down, possibly more than once per night. How hot or cold it gets will depend on the quality of the insulation in the unit and also whether there is a window across the front (which in my opinion is also an unneccessary source of water intrusion). If the over cab has side windows, those will supply some cross ventilation. Most of the Class C's I have seen do not have ducted air conditioners. If you could find one with an air conditioning vent in the over cab area that would certainly help in keeping that space comfortable.

Again, welcome to the Escapees Forum!!

Thank you Trailertraveler! Yes, I was also wondering about the roominess or lack of...sounds like that likely won't be my best option. It definitely wasn't one I was in love with, but the idea had occurred to me so thought I'd explore it a bit :)

“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.”

― Friedrich Nietzsche

Hi, we have a Winnebago Itasca class c and while it has ducted AC, it doesn't have a vent in the bunk area. I would really try to go the Class A route if at all possible. Maybe look at one that has bunk beds that you could remove and make into a work area. We did see a class C a couple of weeks ago that had bunk beds that you could remove for a work area and a rear corner bed. It was longish (30-32 feet long) but I can't remember the manufacturer.

Dave

Welcome to the Escapee forums! We are here to help and support in any way that we may be able so do feel free to ask questions or offer comments in any of our forums or threads.

Since you have some interest in a class C, I suggest that you try and find a Lazy Daze to look at as they are one of the best of that class of RV. But you will probably have a better selection if you look at class A units. In class A RVs I suggest you look at Tiffin, Newmar, and Winnebago/Itasca as you first choices.

Keep in mind that to live in for many years you need to choose one of the higher quality, better constructed RVs with things like double pane windows, solid wood drawer fronts and cabinet doors, and more durable work surfaces and upholstery. You should make sure that you understand things like weight ratings and cargo capacities as you shop also.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thank you Kirk! So many things to think about before buying...think I'd better start making a list to take with me when I start shopping! Thanks for the links too!

― Friedrich Nietzsche

Hello, we have a class c , and think your biggest problem would be converting the bedroom space to a work area. Chances are that bed rests on a platform which is over the fresh water tank, and/or a storage compartment, a bunch of wiring, perhaps low water drains, etc.

I would suggest looking at floorplans to find something you can use without trying to remodel the interior. Re:the cabover bed, We found it to be claustrophobic, and a real pain if you need to get up in the middle of the night.

Carl

Have you considered a class-c toy hauler? There are several on the used market at very good prices and not all of them are necessarily huge. You set up the toy section for your jewelry work, then have the "house" as what it was intended to be - a house. By clearly defining your jewelry studio space you may also be able to take a portion of the RV payments off as a business expense and if you travel to shows, deduct mileage as well (consult a tax adviser).

Berkshire XL 40QL

Camphosting and touring

Hi Kirsten,

Welcome to the fun stage of trying to figure out floor plans, type of rig, which chassis, etc etc etc!

Another manufacturer you could check out is Phoenix Cruiser. They can do some customization of their Class B+ rigs (actually C's, but without the overhead bunk so more streamlined). They are a small company located in Elkhart, IN, and sell factory direct. If you want to check them out, they have a website (www.phoenixusarv.com), which includes an online forum and is full of info from the owners' perspective.

Good luck and have fun!

Carol

Full-timing and enjoying every minute.

Blog: www.agingonwheels.com

OH, I didn't know they made class c toy haulers! I'll have to check that out...Thanks for the link Carol, I'll take a look! Yes, there are so many options and so many things to think about, and as this will be my home, I want to make sure I think of as close to everything as possible! :D

― Friedrich Nietzsche

Archived