HDT friendly RV Parks - Seattle to Banff to Calgary to St Mary's Glacier National Park

budeneighe

Roger:

Is this info overload??

Not at all! This is great!

I have already made some revisions based on suggestions from you guys. Looks like from Kamloops it is up 5 to Valemont then east to Jasper. Taking 93 south gets us through the Icefields down to Lake Louise, Banff and CA 1.

Calgary then a swing down through Waterton Glacier before going back into the US.

A few questions, though.

1. Crowsnest pass, though suggested, seems out of the way no matter how I do it from Jasper. Is it worth a jog over there and back?
  2. Thinking that taking 40 south down to 3 rather than over to Calgary and down 2 would be more scenic but would it be tight with our rig, hard to find overnights and not worth the trouble?
  3. How about 22. is this prarie lands or real mountains

More later as I peel this onion.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

22 is in the foothills and is also called the Cowboy Trail. Very scenic. We use it quite often to go up to Rocky Mountain House from Waterton. 40 from 1 is in the mountains. I think it's called the Peter Lougheed(spelling) Trail. There are campgrounds along 40 also but again I don't know if your rig will fit. You'll come off 40 in Longview and there is a campground there but I don't know the size of rigs it will accommodate. It's right at the corner of 40 & 22 on the south(right) side as you come to the t junction. 40 & 22 are paved hwys. The people who live out that way should be able to give you better info. We've been on those hwys and that drive through the mountains on 40 is great. Now my rig is 35 ft long and my puller is a LDT.

Pipeman VE3PJF, 35 year FireFighter, Retired

Hi Budd,

All the roads in this region = great scenery. Google maps street view and terrain functions are a good tool for taking a peek at the lay of the land.

Highway 40 - The Forestry Trunk Road - is mainly gravel south of Peter Lougheed Park. Logging trucks, resource trucks, ranchers, outdoors travelers, dusty motorcycles and 4x4's. Beautiful country.

BUT: Hwy 40 south of #1 is paved south through Kananaskis Country and then take Secondary 541 to Longview to meet Hwy 22 south and would make

an excellent route to Waterton from Calgary.

Any of your proposed routes = great scenery, mountain truck drivin', and in summer idiot tourists stopping to take selfies beside large wild animals.

Others with more detailed info please chime in...

edited due to excess Chinook windiness in original post :lol:

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

In my mind, Crowsnest pass is infinitely superior. I always get the heebie-jeebies going through Rogers pass. Doesn't matter the mode of transportation, I just don't like it. Most of the traffic incidents happen in the winter, but I still don't like it. Did I mention I don't like that pass? Thousands of vehicles use it everyday, but I'll go through any other pass before Rogers. I've used it over a dozen times in my life, going both ways. It's purely a personal issue.

22 is a pleasant drive through rolling foothills, with true mountains right outside the side window. Wide shoulders, and most of the traffic is locals, used to slow moving ranch equipment, and tourists. Good places to pull in for lunch, with mostly private restaurants, not chain-stores. Nice area, good people.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

First stage will be from your location to Kamloops.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here you go.

Port Townsend to Keystone
Clinton to Edgewater

Don't find Edgewater. Maybe Everett? Clinton Ferry goes to Mukilteo then drive up to Everette.....

Any reason to not just follow wa 20 up from Keystone up to Fidalgo Island and over to I-5 at Burlington? Have not been on that road so don't really know suitability but it would save the $80 for the Clinton ferry and some significant miles.

Rt on, looks like exit 256 A and B onto Guide Meridian North in Bellingham
Rt on 546 and east to incept ( northbound to the border at Sumas). You have now bypassed all the towns, communities and other clutter such as people cutting in at hiway speeds etc. Not that you planned it but you absolutely want to avoid the stretch around Langley to Coverdale. Stop-go, detours etc. Been there dozens of times.

Excellent Advice! Thanks.

North from border to intercept Canada 1, you are now on the main Hiway heading east.
Hope is the jump off point for going to the interior. Choices are up the Fraser Canyon or up the Coquahalla, we call it the Coke. The Coke is the equivalent of the I-5 in the US but with major hills. You are traveling from sea level to the interior plateau. Lots of traffic, main route from Calgary to the West Coast. Can't speak to camping in Hope, I was always passing thru one way or the other. The city itself is easy enough to drive the rig around, it is off the main hiway so you will have no problems there. Rambo was filmed in Hope.
If you choose the Coke, you will notice all the dark splotches on the side of the road where engines and transmissions detonated along with the odd big burn spot where a rig burnt. Your next main town is Merrit. You come over the top of a hill and are see it at your 10 oclock. Exit 286, Hiway 5A. Good place for a pit stop and re group. Try out Tim Horton's, food is really good and cheap....something like Subways.
From there it is a straight shot to Kamloops.
After you pass the weigh scales on the left and rt side of the road, there is a big hill going down into Kamloops. There is a large mall on the left going down the hill. If you need to make a pitstop there is a Flying J just east of town on your left.
I lived in Kamloops from 67 to 69

There are Passing lanes but never enough, re roadside pullouts in general, they are not posted soon enough or at all, pullouts are small. By the time you come around a corner and see it, there is not enough time to turn into it and stop safely. They are not meant for 65' rigs travelling at 63 mph weighing 40,000 lbs ish. I don't care if you have discs or drum brakes. Trust me, I looked last year when I was tired and wanted to stop anywhere.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OK, decided to go the 5 route but fraser Canyon sounds very interesting if I had more experience in interpreting BC campground and road reviews. By the time we get to Hope, we might opt to go that way.

So far you have done the I-5 route. Personally, I go up the Fraser Canyon. It died on the vine when the Coke was built. Much less traffic, more places to stop or pull over, fruit, jam and veggie stands. Less stress. Main stop will be Cache Creek. Fuel stop with a retro 50's restaurant just north of the intersection on the rt. There is also a tourist info center at the intersection . On-site there is a dump station and plenty of parking....been there.

From there you head East. You will run into the only 2 provincial campgrounds in BC with power. They were formerly privately owned and are now provincial. 30 amps if you are luck enough to get one with power. Recommend reservations. If you are interested I have some pics of my foray into that location last year. My rig fit in backwards and didn't need to be unhooked...but it was a challenge none the less.

www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/steelhead/
www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/juniper_bch/

Juniper beach on your right and Steelhead further east on your left. Both have RR tracks close by. Welcome to BC. These 2 are pretty much the only 2 provincial parks I would visit. Most others are tite quarters for my truck alone, never mind pulling the trailer. BC doesn't get it re RV camping. I don't know if reservations are available or possible. Info may be on line, not sure but can check later.

Both of these campgrounds are on the banks of the Thompson River, clear water and route for returning salmon. Fish from the shore for sockeye, Use a red lure. Lots of folks do it. I missed last year but will catch it this year.

www.flattestroute.com

This was posted by another contributor, I find it useful to zoom in on locations I'm interested in. I type in, say Golden BC in both boxes then search and zoom in and drag to whatever interests me like the Golden municipal campground for instance.

Going east from there you will come to a big hill. There is a great viewpoint at the top overlooking the lake. Be careful turning left across traffic if a left turn is possible...can't remember. Good spot for a break and lots of pictures.

Found this, you can make a left turn. Other vids on U Tube.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhrDYcyzVq4

Down hill from there to a small community called Savona then push on east to Kamloops.

This whole stretch is tumbleweed but along the left side of the road up high are the remnants of a sluice/aquifer for transporting water built close to 100 yrs ago. I remember it from my time in Kamloops and sections of it are still there. The wood turns dark brown/black from the sun. Very little moisture in the area.

The 50 miles from Cache Creek to Kamloops is one of my favourites of all areas visited so far, period.
This looks pretty arid. Can you clarify why you like it so much?

Is this info overload??

Not at all. Still building virtual roads.
I don't do more than about 200 miles/day and even less when it is really scenic or mountainous. Most of the potential places to overnight close 10/31 but a couple close mid Sept so I am also working around that.
I know this looks like I am planning every second but actually, when traveling, I really don't like having to have reservations for anything. All this detail planning is so I can "wing it" once we are on the way and feel like changing something. I really try to build as much perspective through visualization as I can so that contingencies can work themselves out when they have to happen.
All the suggestions and alternate choices have been factored in and now it is more about how long to stay where and what to see/do near these spots. I figure that a few days to a week near Jasper, probably at the Hinton KOA. Also a few days at the Tunnel Mountain Trailer Court near Banff and maybe a week at the West Glacier KOA or San Suz Ed RV park. Beyond that, I don't have much to go on yet about things to see and do.
Much of this trip is driven by pictures, movies and stories from my aunts and uncles that visited these areas in the 50s and 60s. That was back when we setup the smelly glass beaded screen and projectors and had home movies nights when I was just a kid. Besides a trip into space it's about the last thing on my bucket list.

Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

Don't find Edgewater. Maybe Everett? Clinton Ferry goes to Mukilteo then drive up to Everette.....

Any reason to not just follow wa 20 up from Keystone up to Fidalgo Island and over to I-5 at Burlington? Have not been on that road so don't really know suitability but it would save the $80 for the Clinton ferry and some significant miles.

I can comment on this leg, Budd, having lived in Burlington for four years, although we've been gone from there for eight.

We've driven from Burlington to Keystone and taken the ferry to Port Townsend and back. Unless something has changed drastically in those eight years, or if there's something in the way of construction that might impact it this year, there's absolutely no reason not to take WA 20 from the Keystone ferry to Burlington. It's two lane on Whidbey and most of Fidalgo Islands, but not a bad road at all, with a few miles of four lane after WA 20 turns to the east, just east of Anacortes. In fact, there were plans in place to make it four lane from that point all the way to the intersection with I-5 at Burlington when we were up there, and that may well have been completed by now.

Save the extra ferry money and the excess miles. Take 20 to Burlington, unless WSDOT can offer you a compelling reason not to.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

I was on the wrong scale map, Phil's route is better. Re the stretch from Kamloops to Cache Creek, less traffic, no tailgaters, lookout points, clear Thompson river. Hells Gate fish ladder, Adams River returning run of Sockeye salmon. The area is an interior plateau the river has cut thru.

I'm out on the road for a couple of weeks finishing up at the ABB airshow. Tonight Eugene then Junction City and working my way to Lewiston then up the stretch from Cranbrook to FT Steele for 2 nights where I will pan a few oz's of gold. After that up to Radium Valley Vacation resort for 3 nights. More pools and Jacuzzi's, pancake breakfast and some steaks on the barbi which is provided at no cost. Hike up to the hot springs for a dip. On up North toward Golden where on the right are some telephone poles with cross pieces on the top that eagles make their nests on.

Picked up some strawberry flavoured honey from a roadside stand today.

After that out towards Kamloops and Cache Creek then down the Canyon to Abbotsford.

This place in Eugene is definitely big rig friendly, spots must be nearly 100' long, pool, hot tub, 50 amps, tv and activity room... may come here again if passing thru.

I'm sure you will have a great time regardless of the route. These are my choices, the difference this time is I'm not in a rush.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Watch you speeds thru the National Parks, I think it is 90 km hr. In the Banff area we have the animal crossings to get critters from one side of the road to the other. They are huge culverts to accommodate 2 lanes of traffic in one direction and another on the other side of the divided hiway for traffic going the other direction. Overtop is covered with dirt, Cops hide in the median bw the east and westbound lanes, a whole herd of them, nailing dozens of speeders at a time.

So watch your speed, I set my CC for 5 kms over, that's kms not mph. This route has the animal overpasses 'cus the sides of the road are fenced off to prevent critters from getting mowed down by speeders. A moose, elk or bear can total the vehicle and kill passengers. Especially at dusk when light is fading.

Other areas you travel may not be fenced off.

One more note on western Canada - our Feds & Provinces are good at passing laws to regulate hours of service for commercial drivers but provide very few rest areas for them to park 85 to 140 ft long (double 53ft's) trucks - so large vehicles boondocking here and there in back lots and frontage roads etc are not uncommon sights.

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

One more note on western Canada - our Feds & Provinces are good at passing laws to regulate hours of service for commercial drivers but provide very few rest areas for them to park 85 to 140 ft long (double 53ft's) trucks - so large vehicles boondocking here and there in back lots and frontage roads etc are not uncommon sights.

This is so true, many a time you will see rigs on off or on ramps or on hills. Truck is listing to port or stbd, must be most uncomfortable for the driver. I think I mentioned that the pull offs were lacking in BC.

Budd

I'm on the road for the next almost 2 weeks so I will take pics of notable things on the route. If posting them on the forum can be mastered you can see for yourself. One thing is there is a roadside stand either before or after Chase BC, about 40 miles East of Kamloops. Parking is lousy for rigs. But they have the best selection of items including fresh baked pies, peach cherry, strawberry etc., still hot. But you probably don't like pies so forget I mentioned it.

I'm loving this thread as well. We should be traveling from Ontario to Vancouver (to see relatives) in September. I'm getting the map out now to see how many of these spots we can hit on the way.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

As Charles Carault used to say, "Were on the road", left YYJ late pm on Sunday to benefit from cheap ferry fares, stayed at Bellingham RV Park, marginally Big Rig. Bought some strawberry flavored honey at their office. Then down to Eugene, stayed at a place which had a pool, Jacuzzi and they must have been 110' pullthru's with 50 amps. Got my custom slideout telescoping stairs made for the left rear truck compartment made and installed along with a receiver on the pin for my bike rack. That was not an easy job.

Then, back to the Interstate and another night in Portland, another HDT friendly place with 5 pull thru's reserved for late arrivals. My rig stuck out at both ends so out went the red triangles. Pics available on request. Having all the extra truck and trailer backup lights came in handy, also switched out the incandescent bulbs in the scare lights and fired them up as well. Showed up after midnight, walked the route and put reflective cats eyes beside where the rig was to go. Switched the engine on to "Stealth" and snuck in, lit up the cats eyes and hit the spot first time.

We are working on a method of turning all outside lights on thru the reverse switch. Scare lights, porch lights, all of 'em. You can never have too much light when backing up at night.

Then, back to the Interstate. Last night was in Lewiston at another HDT friendly place although you may have to disconnect, I didn't as I was 2nd to last to arrive and office was long closed...out with the red triangles again. Stopped for diesel at an HDT friendly Co-Op north of Sandpoint, $2.30 something a gallon. Got 2 bigger jars of different honey as first one was finished. Headed north to the border and passed a Conoco station with diesel at $2.03 or close to it. I can't win. Generally fuel gets more expensive closer to the border I get, not this time.

Tonight, I'm in Ft Steele rv park, bought some more gold panning stuff and will try my luck here over the next couple of days. Got the icemaker working so will buy a blender tomorrow for smoothies, if I can find a recipe. Local kid got my computer and cel phone up and running. Local woman brings in fresh baked bread and sticky buns so got both. Nuked some toasted whole wheat bread and honey...not bad. Generally whole wheat bread tastes like pizza carton but not this time.

Truck AC isn't working so need to get that sorted out, starting with the fuse or breaker if it can be found then of to a shop if one can be found. I'm no gearhead.

Back on the road Sat am and hit the enormous swap meet or whatever you call these things in Invermere or Lake Windemere. They have parking in the middle of town for RV's. The swap thing is within walking distance.

After that, up to Radium Valley Vacation Resort for 3 days and hit the hot pools up the road. People come from all over the world to visit them. Never done that before so it's on my bucket list this time. Toonie pancake breakfast on Sunday am at the resort, then prowl around the local area on the bike.

Radium Valley Vacation Resort has lots of pull thru's, 50 amp power, grass beside the parking pad and a deck, gazebo and a barbeque you are free to use, just clean it before you leave. You can't go wrong with this place. They have a 14k sq ft rec center with a pool and Jacuzzi. All kids to be out of the pool and jacuzi by 9pm and then just adults. This place ranks right up there with the swankiest digs anywhere.....An I got it for 3 nights, unbelievable.

So I'm not going to tell you what route to take but the route I took and why. Everyone has their own preferences.

Pull out of there Tuesday or so, hit the farmers market by Chase for more honey and fresh pies and some fresh fruit for the smoothie machine. This time, if I overshoot the runway at the Farmers market, I'll find a place to park the beast and bike back to the stand. May have to take both bike bags and the backpack for the booty.

I lucked out and got a spot at Juniper Beach, 2 nights. Talk about a miracle. While waiting at Swartz bay for the ferry I got speaking with someone who was going there. I told him that was where I wanted to go but was not able to book on line. The program would not accept my rig, giving me a red zero with a line thru it. Anyway the took my contact info and I asked him to check with the park rep. The Park boss in Kamloops called and said I could have spot # 1. The reason the program would not accept my rig is it was over 18'....yea, just a little. That is the one spot in the park that I could stick out and not interfere with anything or anyone....so out come the red triangles again. Water is too warm for the salmon so no fishing I guess. Govt is releasing water from other cooler regions to try to cool the river. Fisheries figures there may be an 80% die rate due to hot water.

Then next weekend off to the Abbotsford airshow, hitting more Farmers Markets and fruit stands down the Canyon.

Tonite, read up more on gold panning and try to figure out the truck ac problem.

Had a car full of what looked like punks pull up along side the other day, they looked at me, I looked at them....then one hung out the window and gave me a thumbs up as did two other from inside the car. A little later what looked like about a 9 yr old girl hung out the car window and gave me the pulling the lanyard or toot toot sign then the mom waved. I don't think the dad was too happy as the sped off at a great rate of knots.

What a blast.

BTW, I have contact info for the HDT friendly locations, not sure how you want to log it, me or just post links to the respective sites.

Great Info, Roger. Great.

Sounds like the Eugene and Lewiston RV parks were the Premier RV Resorts parks in those locations. we stayed 4 months in the ones in Redding, California and again in Lincoln City. My only complaints about the LC park is the sites are a bit too narrow for slides and a little short for 5th wheels+tow vehicles. The newer sites in Redding are fine, though.

You make your travels sound more like a full-time foodie. That really adds taste to your travelogues. As for links, I think there are enough people besides myself that are interested in these regions that more info online is greatly appreciates by all.

Hope your A/C problem is nothing much. Freon indicator look OK? MY VNL has a builtin A/C control on the firewall that does some automatic diagnostics as it is working. Things like low freon, obstructions and such are indicated on colored LEDs on the box.

No, not quite, I'm no junk food addict. Not too much wrong with fresh fruit and veggies now that I'm north of the border. In the past, I've always passed these places by but not his time. I'm generally careful of what I eat and either bike or run whenever possible. Today is the first day I have been able to park for a day or so. Premier was the one in Eugene, lots of width in that place if you get one of the purple sites.

Cell doesn't work here which is a major PITA. Shaw network, Telus works though.

The resolution was too high on my camera, that may have been the issue with not being able to post pics. But in this Park the internet is iffy.

Where on the firewall? Cab or in the engine area. I'm dropping the trailer and backtracking to Cranbrook to see if there is a location which can handle it on short notice. Had to take a 30 amp site for today, shorter so out come the triangles again.

I'll bang off some pics, this place has lots of trees as does Radium Valley Vacation resort. So there is plenty of shade.

The new custom steps sure work slick, no more headers or broken bones for me.

Roads are in decent shape, the odd on or off ramp onto bridges or overpasses being the exception.

Worst stretch was b/w Bellingham and Portland.

VNL A/C module is on the engine side just behind the steering wheel and up high on the Fire Wall. Hope it's simple.

Nope, not that simple. System has no coolant must be a leak somewhere. Will take the truck to Kamloops Volvo/Mack on Wednesday. Hopefully they have all the parts needed.

97f here today, Roads are 140f. I'll stop at Canal Flats for breakfast in the am just over the Kootenay river. Will do some more gold panning in this 7' deep whirlpool area that is dry now, maybe some gold settled to the bottom.

Great story Roger, thanks for posting it. May try some of those parks as we meander west. Walmarting in Sudbury tonight, everything is running well so far.

Geo

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Work ride is Western Star N2 Tri-Tri tanker at 56,500kg loaded

I've had a talk with myself last couple of days, seems my rig is not immune to goofs and mechanical failures so much of this trip has been for getting work done on the truck, some planned other work not so after 10 days in Victoria, I plan to head out again covering much of the same Canadian turf. Fraser Canyon thru to Golden then down to Radium, then Canal Flats for a night or 2. This is the place that has the restaurant. Big trout are caught under the Kootenay River bridge. But again the water may be to warm. There is a pic of my old 4700 on the beach somewhere. Adding in Kimberly campsite this time. Some of the spots at Kimberly back onto the river.

Note to all,

The biggest issue so far has been the lack of consistent cel phone and internet with e-mail access. Part of this is due to me not being that great on computers etc, Some is because some sites and locations don't have the greatest wireless service. Some locations only have connectivity in specific locations in the RV Park. Kimberly, according to there info has it by the pool, office and somewhere else, hopefully not by the dumpsters. We have marauding bears around here.

With the heat reaching 97 here yesterday, according to the truck, at least that works, the biggest thing is to stay hydrated. Mega headaches if I don't. This I remember from a trip overseas.

Steelhead park is close to Juniper so I'll swing by on the way to the Volvo place and snap some shots. Some of you may want to swing by, actually I may stay there on the second trip. There is a decent restaurant and store close by. This is also by the lookout point mentioned earlier, will take some pics there as well. Lots of room to pull in with big rigs.

Wish I had a dash cam so video could be posted.

Another spot to checkout is Lamplighter campground in Revelstoke. Revelstoke, going east, is the jumping off point going into the Rockies. Big shell station on the right after you come over the bridge Eastbound.

after arriving late in the pm to a full campground the manger/owner had me tuck in close to their office area and hooked me up to the building. They could have just as easily sent me packing but didn't so I'd like to visit them again. If you leave Hope BC in a morning, this is about as far as you may want to travel in a day if you push it. There is generally road construction during the Summer to cause delays. The Rogers Pass area is not one to try if you are tired at the end of a days driving.

One note, there is a lot of road construction coming east out of Lewiston. The Eastward climb out of Lewiston is similar to the Eastward climb out of Osoyoos BC but Osoyoos is 2 lanes only and has some hairpin turns. You need to be in stump puller low around some of it Really tight for big rigs. The US road is wide open and you can lean into it. The laser gun said 137 degees on the new blacktop.

The laser gun came in handy yesterday. A local redneck came in with his noisy pickup towing a clapped out trailer with 2 hayburners. I noticed one of his trailer tires was half or less inflated and pointed this out to him. He said it was OK and not to worry. Clearly he was not he type to explain tire pressure/failure etc. He was a dolt but I felt sorry for his gf and the horses so I got the laser out and took temps of the trailer tires, 3 were 100 ish and the low one was 147 degrees. He understood that. The horses butt in the trailer was 88.

Off to do some gold panning before the run to Radium.

Maybe Geo on his return could assist me in putting an album together and getting a photo storage program set up. Even if it costs me for the program. I've been too these places, others haven't so a pic with a brief explanation may help others to make a decision.

Got out of Ft Steele about 0930, Volvo said temps were 67f. Road coming north is pretty much dead straight and fairly level. Truly a piece of cake to drive and the truck is happy, happy, happy! I was able to take a couple of pics showing the dramatic difference from once side of the road to the other. The river side irrigated and growing hay, the other side dry and Ponderosa pines, at least I think they are.

Skookumchuck, North of Ft Steel has rv camping , claiming to accommodate big rigs. General store is across the street and they may have a restaurant. There was a greyhound bus behind as I went around the corner so it was eyes on the road at that moment.

Canal Flats on the Kootenay river was next. I did stop at the bridge and the rv park adjacent, 38$ night, 30 amps, he could handle big rigs. I rode it on the bike, no wifi or internet. The gold hole I was looking for was still underwater but there was a lot of rock around the perimeter as well as tree roots so this will be on my list of places to stop at on the return trip. Hopefully the water will be down and I can pry out some rocks or dig under roots for dirt and pan it. You never know.

North out of Canal Flats is Columbia lake, the start of the Columbia River. There is a lookout up the hill, something like the one just out of Savona Bw Kamloops and Cache Creek. Lookout may have been 800-1k ft above the water. Got some pics here and of the wetlands below. This whole valley bottom is wetlands and marshes. Birdhunters paradise. You can clearly see the mountain ranges on either side of the valley. The mtns on the rt or east are close, the peaks are bare, no snow or trees so must be above the tree line.

Driving this run reminded me of when I got the trailer out of Nochols New York and headed south to Florida and drove down a similar valley...wouldn't have been the Shanandoa would it? Lots of Civil War names of places come to mind. Picturing Infantry, Cavalry and horse drawn artillery. I could picture it in my minds eye as I drove south that Christmas Day in 2006.

Moving on 150 yrs.. next north is Fairmont Hot Springs, golf, rv camping, forgot if they were Big Rig or not but I am recalling seeing the term more and more. They also have tubing down the little river that cuts across under the northbound hiway. Lots of young people and kids with parents having a blast floating down the stream.

Continuing North you come to Windermere and Lake Windermere. lots of watersports here, renting jetskis, pedal water bikes or whatever you call them. Place was really busy. This is the place that has the swap/shop but no time to stop this trip.

The hiway is raised up above the surrounding land, kinda like range roads on the prairies.

Then after another 15 minutes downhill into Radium, watch your speed. Small Village, fuel stops, ice cream arts and crafts and grocery store, liquor store. At the intersection, you go straight thru to the Resort or turn right and up the hill to the world famous Hot Springs. It is a giant tiled swimming pool fed by underwater hot springs. This is on the bucket list for tomorrow. I've always driven past but not this time or next time either.

After all, at 67 how many more good years do I have left? Good being a relative word. Can't keep driving by places you want to stop at.

Budd asked why I liked the stretch b/w Cache Creek and Kamloops......Maybe it was the same as today, relatively early in the morning, sunny day, little traffic and for the moment no-one tailgaiting you and relatively flat and straight roads allowing the driver an opportunity to take in the scenery.

Used the free barbi tonight and this is pretty much the only place allowing fires if they are propane in a steel pit, so that's OK

So beset by no disasters today, avoided blowing up the barbeque but did burn the hot dogs. The most exciting thing done today was to find another sewer hose that could be undone by my gimped up mits. Not all sewer hoses are compatible with one another. Some are 4" OD and some others are 4- 1/8" OD on the female end. If they don't get locked together, they come apart. If they do lock, I can't get them unlocked.

Too bad, a 20' hose was 94 bucks. Can't have mistakes here, it would wind up on UTubes epic failures.

Every stop I make someone asks me how I get the car off the deck. The last guy I jokingly said there is a family of illegal migrants who lift it off. Or, " where do you mount the crane"? I'm asked, then he fired back, " I thought you'd catapult it off". Good comeback.

Got some pics today and will take more of these swanky digs tomorrow. This place has a lot of second growth trees, lots of shade. What a difference that makes. The spots from 77 to 97 overlook the valley floor several hundred feet below, spectacular view. 82 being the primo spot. There is a lumber mill on the Valley floor about a mile away outside the top of the site map.

Toonie breakfast at 0930 Sunday, pancakes, sausages, juice, coffee, tea. This place ranks waaay up there at the top of the pile in my view.

No driving tomorrow or the next, weather is great, toonie breakfast, hot pools....radar is on high gain, this is when something always blindsides me. Key staff quit or some medical emergency? Good thing I brought the FAK.

I'll try to post pics.

Went for breakfast,5 bucks not a Toonie,..inflation. Oh well got seconds anyway. Met with a couple who had dumped their kids on the GP's. The husband has a brother in the RCMP and said keep speed in the parks to 90 or expect a ticket. Outside the parks if everyone is travelling 115 they don't do anything. FYI.

Went to the Radium Hot Springs late am, glad I did. One pool was 1 or 2 degrees below hot tub temps of 104' say at the Premier place in Eugene a few days ago. The second pool, much busier, was 2 degrees cooler but still not swimming pool cool. The place is open 'till 11 pm so another trip is planned for this evening post burning more hot dogs. Will take the camera and attempt to post some pics soon. This is definitely worth a visit if you have aches and pains. Seems most folks were speaking anything else but English. Lots of Europeans, Philipinos and Asians.

If there are uncorrected typos or worse grammar than usual it is because I picked up some coolers. I recall someone some months ago criticising poor English, spelling and grammar on the forum. So bear in mind I am not an Eric Sevaried or Winston Churhill.

Another gent mention Fairmont Hot Springs and RV park back down the road so of on a walkabout. Golf course, swanky digs but few trees. Met up with an IH Lonestar owner who told me there are a few spots 90', some at 75', 50 amps, 61 bucks a night and better book a long way ahead. Few trees to give enough shade. This place was hammered 3 yrs ago when Calgary got flooded. They have hot pools as well, took some pics, but they remind me of the scene in Jaws, people screaming and storming out of the water. It was that packed and don't forget the clown with the boombox somewhere in that din. Took some pics of the RV park and one of the pool, that was all I needed to make up my mind. Gent in the Lonestar said his single air conditioner was struggling to keep up. This area of the park is paved and has grass between pads so they liked that for keeping the floor clean. No gazeebos, decks or barbeques here.

Spruce Grove farther south is an OK place. I stayed there a few years ago. River runs thru the park, small sandy beach on the river, lots of tubing. 2 hr drift. Lots of places to handle big rigs. The spots are advertised as 50 ft but clearly they can handle longer units. In my case if the wheels were to be kept on the pad, the last 10' of the trailer would overhang the grass. I could nearly use the power analyzer and a dogbone for the power hookup.

Rvvr seems to be the best choice so far, they have pull thrus but you do need to be careful with clearances.

If I'm still sober later, I'll try to post some pics.

Another free day tomorrow then hit the bricks again for 350 odd miles to Juniper Beach.

Thanks Roger!! We're in overflow at Westerner at Red Deer currently. Suits me just fine as we have 15amp and the weather doesn't need AC.

Will be headed west in a week or so.

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Work ride is Western Star N2 Tri-Tri tanker at 56,500kg loaded

Archived