Cleaning the grease filter over stove

woman_who_sees

We haven't cleaned the grease filter over our stove in years and it is now so greasy that it doesn't work well. I can't find a new one listed at Camping World so we will clean this one. But how? Any suggestions? Also, it makes an awful racket when I turn the fan on. Is the excess grease causing this?

Bill (DH), Jan (DW), Sunshine (DBird), and Gila and Tacobelle (DCats)

2004 Winnebago Sightseer

"Folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be" (after a cup of coffee)

We took a baking pan that would hold the grease filter, added a pan of boiling water and a couple spoons of soap then dropped the filter in and poked it around with a kitchen stirrer. Sopped up the floating grease with paper towels until it looked pretty clean.

If it is clogged you likely got grease past it, probably need to clean the fan and wipe down the vent interior too.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

It is possible that plugged filters could make the motor/fan louder so I'd start by cleaning or replacing them. If they are metal filters you can clean them by soaking them in a strong detergent/water mix and if that isn't good enough try using some ammonia. If it doesn't change the noise issue, try running it with no filter and if noisy then, most likely it is a problem of motor bearings.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

In both our current and previous coaches, I replaced the noisy OEM kitchen vent fan with a 180mm computer fan I found on Amazon.com. At full speed, 1300 RPM, the fan is so quiet that I added a red LED indicator next to the switch to remind us it's on. On our previous coach, I installed the included speed control, but we found the fan was so quiet at full speed that in our current coach, I used the included jumper to bypass the control and run it at full speed all the time.

SilverStone High Performance 180mm Case Fan

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

I have had good luck cleaning the filter with oven cleaner, and in a pinch, automotive degreaser. Spray, soak in sunlight, rinse with hose, repeat if necessary.

Safe Travels...

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

Thank you all for your suggestions! We cleaned everything (the filter, the fan, the housing) and voila! NO NOISE!

Bill (DH), Jan (DW), Sunshine (DBird), and Gila and Tacobelle (DCats)

2004 Winnebago Sightseer

"Folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be" (after a cup of coffee)

... I replaced the noisy OEM kitchen vent fan with a 180mm computer fan ....

The specs on the computer fan you provided shows the fan moves 65-150 cubic feet per minute. The specs on the Sharp Convection Microwave that sits above the range in our coach shows that on "high" - it moves 300 cubic feet per minute. Are you sure you're getting the venting needed with the computer fan?

The Spacenorman

2012 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 43' DFT

2012 Jeep Liberty

Our Travel Website: www.penquinhead.com​

The specs on the computer fan you provided shows the fan moves 65-150 cubic feet per minute. The specs on the Sharp Convection Microwave that sits above the range in our coach shows that on "high" - it moves 300 cubic feet per minute. Are you sure you're getting the venting needed with the computer fan?

We haven't had any problem exhausting any steam, odors, or smoke we've managed to generate in the four years or so we've had the computer fan installed in the two coaches. The vent flap fully opens. Are you sure all of that 300 CFM is needed? :rolleyes::D

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Archived