Dually?

curlydoc

Mntom, in an earlier post you said that you did not remember what the tow rating was but you were slightly over the GCVWR rating and in another post you said you were good on all of your axle ratings. We were trying to point out that we were in the same boat ( OK maybe not slightly over at +2k). Being over weight on the GCVWR is still over weight in the eyes of insurance companies and you could be found at fault in an accident even if it wouldn't have been your fault if you were within the weight. That is why we now believe in checking to make sure all the weights work now. Most people think I have a Dually and I can haul anything, but they need to verify the weights before they do!

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All this talk about overweight and insurance and lawyers in the event of an accident. I've never head/seen/ read/etc.etc anywhere where they brought out the scales and weighed the wreck at an accident site. They just clear the road and tow off what's left.

Weighing the junk that's left after the fact is a pretty useless exercise and probably wouldn't hold up in a court.

Not something I'd worry about.

Being negligent by not being able to stop at a sign/light, intoxicated or speeding or something else obvious would be more or a concern in being at fault.

Being overweight would be a concern to me because of equipment reliability. Being overweight in a accident would not. There would be other things they could find you a fault for. Now not being able to stop would indirectly be an factor in being overweight but that's not what they'd get you for, it would be failure to stop or control.

Flame away.

Ray & Deb - Shelbi the Aussie & Lexington the cat
2004 Volvo 630 500HP ISX "Bertha D" - 10 Speed-MaxBrake -ET hitch.SOLD
2009 Designer 35RLSA SOLD
Fulltiming since '07 - stopped 2016

• 1 month later...

Another thought here, IF you ever have a rear tire blow out, a dually leaves you with much more safety margin then a single rear wheel. Given you only get a dually for the heavier 5th wheels (mines a 17,500 lbs.) having that safety factor is a BIG DEAL. Note sig tags . . .

We're not here for a LONG TIME, we're here for a GOOD TIME! HOOH! :rolleyes:

'16 F350 DRW PSD CCLB, LKR Fx4, WH Platinum Tri, 4.3LSD, MR, PullRite OE 25K 5th, High CT, EB Heater, Tailgate Step, Recon RL's, Air Lift System, TruXcedo Lopro, DZ TG Assist, KC Lights, Pop&Lock TG, Cable Lock,'16 Fuzion 420 17.5k

Archived