Looking for new GPS

wlw41

We've been using VZ Navigator on my phone for a GPS. Thinking of getting an RV specific unit...probably in the $250-300 range. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Wendell (Wendy) & Ella Williams

'05 Fleetwood Expedition

Traveling w/ "Jacki" our Maltedoodle

'05 Jeep Laredo toad

"Not all who wander are lost"

We are using a Garmin 760 LMT. It is has a bright 7" screen, lifetime maps, understandable voice prompts, and does a great job of designating which lane to be in as you pass through cities. Kind of the opposite end of the spectrum from an app on a smart phone, but a very nice dedicated unit.

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

Ditto on the Garmin RV 760 and it hasn't steered us wrong yet - in fact I think its a bit over cautious when I use the RV profile instead of our car (we swap it back and forth).

BUT, there is now a 660 which sounds like a 6" display version of the 760. Have not seen it so no idea of the software capabilities. Personally, I've become quite accustomed to the larger display and have no desire to go to something smaller.

As for the 760, since there is a new unit out, I imagine prices will begin to fall on the 760 so look to EBay and you may score a great deal!

Berkshire XL 40QL

Camphosting and touring

Howdy!

X2 for Co-Pilot. Been using it for years and it has served us well. Use it on samrtphone and tablet and love the large screen in the MDT while driving. I would buy a new tablet before a stand alone gps. You will get a lot more uses for your money out of it.

"Happy Trails"

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

The Garmin 760 series allows input from a camera so I mounted one on the tool box and it makes hitching up very easy. It also can link up with your cell phone for various activities. My favorite is "Smartphone Link" that allows you to find something on you cell phone and just push a button to send it to the Garmin.

Later,

J

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

I just bought a Garmin Dezl 770LMTHD to replace the one that was in the truck when I bought it (Not a Garmin and I never liked it anyway...) All of the other GPS units we have are Garmin and this one is outstanding as far as screen resolution, size accuracy and connectivity are concerned. Wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

On our trip to Alaska our 760 would get us into trouble for no apparent reason. It would get lost so we kept the map handy any time it gave us a squireely route to get to the next campground......Other wise it was great.....

Occasionally (maybe 5% of the time) RV Park (and other addresses) are not correct in our GPS. The errors aren't big, but they may take you to the north side of a highway instead of the south side, for instance. I try to preview the route the evening before we leave and confirm that the destination is correct. A quick call to your intended campground will often let you know if GPS's tend to find it correctly or not.

Mark & Teri

Mark & Teri's Travels

We are using a Garmin 760 LMT. It is has a bright 7" screen, lifetime maps, understandable voice prompts, and does a great job of designating which lane to be in as you pass through cities. Kind of the opposite end of the spectrum from an app on a smart phone, but a very nice dedicated unit.

I bought this gps and it is a GREAT gps. The warning it gives you in advance are awesome!!! It is better then the RV ones as you can input your rigs specs. Vs the RV ones have a height of I think 12 foot 3 inches programmed in. My rig is taller then that. I think wider also and not to mention heavier. This is why I went with the semi truck version.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

We use the Garmin 760 and are generally happy with the unit. We don't always travel were a phone has service, so the Garmin is very important to us. We have used it for 1 1/2 years and have some issues with campground directions. Twice we were directed past our campground as the Garmin was directing us to travel 8 more miles. Twice our Garmin had us turn onto a road just before the actual entrance to the campground. Despite these issues, I would buy a 760 again.

I bought this gps and it is a GREAT gps. The warning it gives you in advance are awesome!!! It is better then the RV ones as you can input your rigs specs. Vs the RV ones have a height of I think 12 foot 3 inches programmed in. My rig is taller then that. I think wider also and not to mention heavier. This is why I went with the semi truck version.

Am I understanding you correctly that the Garmin rv unit will not let one enter height of rv? I currently have the Rand McNally and was considering going with Garmin but if this is true I will stay with the RM.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Am I understanding you correctly that the Garmin rv unit will not let one enter height of rv? I currently have the Rand McNally and was considering going with Garmin but if this is true I will stay with the RM.

That is not correct. With the Garmin RV 760 LMT you input your rig width, length and height.

Mark & Teri

Mark & Teri's Travels

I think I read that somewhere. In my truck one, there are 3 settings. Car, RV and truck (semi). I can not change the settings in the RV mode. So I use the truck mode when hooked up.

I think I read that somewhere.

Again, this is incorrect information!!

I own and use a Garmin RV 760 LMT and you can definitely set the width, length and height of your RV. In fact, it is one of the first things that it asks for when setting up the unit. And it is easily changed if the need arises.

Mark & Teri

Mark & Teri's Travels

I own and use a Garmin RV 760 LMT and you can definitely set the width, length and height of your RV. In fact, it is one of the first things that it asks for when setting up the unit. And it is easily changed if the need arises.

I have this GPS and can say that you definately can enter this information. As others have said it is great display and great lane warnings far in advance. I have not had a gps that hasnt led me astray whether Garmin, tomtom or several phone versions. Just have to double check.

truckntrailer1.jpg

2006 Peterbilt 387 -2013 Dutchmen Voltage 3950

You are correct. I just went income GPS settings and was able to change it. I will have to set it up and see if it routes me differently. Sorry for the miss info.

If you start seeing more corrections or errors on your directions, you are probably due for some updates. Maps, routing and warning triggers are updated regularly so if your Garmin is behind on its updates there could actually be some significant errors. The night before we are scheduled to leave, checking for and installing updates is at the top of our checklist followed by any special waypoints or other stops of interest programmed in.

Look for profiles in your settings and yes, if you are using the incorrect one you could get some unexpected routing. We were in the toad and hadn't set the profile so were routed around a tunnel the toad had way ample clearance but not the motorhome.

Berkshire XL 40QL

Camphosting and touring

Archived