Seeking Recommondations: Florida in Jan / Feb

SpaceNorman

My wife and I are new to RVing ... having taken possession of our new (to us!) 2012 Endeavor 43' DFT motor home at the end of March. We've been loving our new toy - and taking lots of short jaunts in our home state of Michigan. (We're both still working stiffs - so short is the key word here). We're looking to take our first "winter" trip for 4-6 weeks in January / February of 2016 - and are looking for recommendations for places to stay in Florida or along the Gulf Coast where we a reasonable sure chance of enjoying good weather.

We're seriously considering becoming "full timers" when we retire (summer of 2016) - and would like to visit a couple of parks that cater to the fulltimer crowd. Obviously we're looking for something with full hookups - but would like to avoid the "high end" resort sort of places (that's just not our thing....). We're not looking to be entertained ... we're simply hoping to hit a couple of parks that offer pleasant sites and that are clean and peaceful.

My only requirement over and above "full hookups" will would be that the park be located where Verizon cell service is available (this will be a working vacation ... and I need Verizon coverage for my internet access).

Any suggestions?

The Spacenorman

2012 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 43' DFT

2012 Jeep Liberty

Our Travel Website: www.penquinhead.com​

One of our favorite spots in the winter is the Escapee's own Sumter Oaks RV Park near Bushnell, FL. A lot of very nice fellow SKP's of course, and pretty fair full hookup sites at more than fair pricing. Oh, and a Verizon tower is within sight of the park... :D

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

You shouldn't have any problem with Verizon. If you're looking for the warmest temperatures for winter, then the further south you go the better. Surprisingly, the northern part of Fl. will get pretty darn cold from time to time. I've stayed in the Ocala area and had the water spigots freeze solid overnight. I personally don't want to stay anywhere I have to unhook my water for fear of freezing. So look at the bottom half of the state, while keeping in mind, it seems the further south you go the more expensive it is.

Fulltiming since 2010

2000 Dutch Star

2009 Saturn Vue

Myrtle Beach, SC

Just something to consider... You mention Jan/Feb for 6 weeks and you are coming from Michigan. A really bad stretch of cold, ice, and snow in the plains and the north delayed the departure of many of the snowbirds who were staying at the park in Florida where I was this past winter. If you are looking to get back home by early or even mid-March, just know that there could be a weather delay if you want to travel safely. Heck, delay it further and you get to retire a tad early!

Full-timing and enjoying every minute.

Blog: www.agingonwheels.com

January / February of 2016 - and are looking for recommendations for places to stay in Florida or along the Gulf Coast where we a reasonable sure chance of enjoying good weather.

Any place from Tampa South for a less chance of any 32º weather.

For NO chance of 32º the Keys are the best bet. :)

Jan. usually has the Coldest nights/Days.

You need to get reservations NOW as the best places may be already gone.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

There are a number of rentals available at our co-op, located about 45 miles SE of Tampa.

http://www.avionpalms.org/?page_id=323

The vast majority of lot owners are snowbirds, but us full-timers fit right in.

Safe Travels...

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

Look at the Arcadia area and Sebring area for warmth but less pricey. SKP park in Bushnell for Feb. Down on the Keys the Jolly Roger park will give you five nights on Passport America. If you're an Elk then Tavernier Lodge has sites at $25/night./ Sarasota South lodge has three sites.

Everglades area west side has dry camping areas.

Just some ideas.

Bill

Bill & Lynn Baxter

MCI102A3 Conversion, Detroit Diesel S50  

dolphins.jpgVisitedStatesMap.jpgVisitedProvincesMap.jpg

Go further south if you like crowds and spending money. Last winter there were exactly 2 overnights that got below freezing at our lot in Silver Springs (Ocala area). And those times the temp. only dropped below freezing for a few hours at most. The average nighttime temp is above 40 with daytime temp in the 60s. During those couple of nights I did NOT disconnect my spigot, I simply let the kitchen sink trickle (very small amount) overnight and did not have any problems.

Wilderness RV Resort in Silver Springs has a Class A section (Preserve Estates) that offer 20 X 60 concrete pads to park on. No parking on sand or grass here. Rates next winter are to raise to $600 per month plus electric. Not sure of weekly rate. Minimum stay is one week. This gives you use of all facilities included a wonderful club house exclusively for the Preserve Estate people.

GS Lifetime #822128658, FMCA #F431170

2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Extended Class B

• 3 weeks later...

Bill--you wrote about the Everglades area, west side, having dry camping.

Okay---newbie here. I'm not up-to-date on the camping within the Everglades area......what "critters"

might one encounter within the camping area? I guess Python Hunters on TV has made me a chicken!!

Bill--you wrote about the Everglades area, west side, having dry camping.

Okay---newbie here. I'm not up-to-date on the camping within the Everglades area......what "critters"

might one encounter within the camping area? I guess Python Hunters on TV has made me a chicken!!

Other Everglades species you will find that could be living in the area.

Of the 27 species of snakes in Everglades National Park, only four are venomous – the cottonmouth, the diamondback rattlesnake, the dusky pygmy rattlesnake, and the coral snake.

Florida cottonmouth Green anole Knight anole Brown anole Florida scarlet snake Eastern racer Boa constrictor Eastern diamondback

Southern ringneck snake Eastern indigo snake Corn snake Yellow rat snake Everglades rat snake Southeastern five-lined skink Eastern mud snake Tokay gecko Indopacific gecko Tropical house gecko Eastern hognose snake² Common iguana Florida kingsnake Scarlet kingsnake

Eastern coachwhip Eastern coral snake Mangrove salt marsh snake Florida water snake Florida green water snake Brown water snake

Rough green snake Island glass lizard Eastern glass lizard Burmese python Brahminy blind snake Striped crayfish snake Ground skink

South florida swamp snake Dusky pygmy rattlesnake Florida geef gecko Florida brown snake Peninsula ribbon snake Eastern garter snake :):lol:

Also the American alligator and American crocodile

A list of Mammals that also live there

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

In our early full-timing years our kids lived in our former state, Michigan. We would spend the winter at Gulf State Park, Alabama which was a reasonable drive back to Michigan for the holidays (leaving our RV in Alabama).

The park has many (around 300, I think) sites which are good size. During the winter season snowbirders flock there because you're allowed to spend all winter unlike most state parks. So you have a like-community of 'mature' folks and it's a fun group.

The town and surrounding areas have a lot of opportunities for nice dining, shopping and siteseeing. Pensacola, FL is near and has an excellent air museum. The white sand beaches are great for walking. Swimming is too cold in winter.

The Escapees also has a park in nearby Summerdale where we have stayed, also, but we liked being closer to the beach.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Biker56----

thanks for the "critter" info----now, I am sorry that I asked. Snakes are my one big fear. And the list that you compiled overwhelms me.

In the campgrounds, will I likely encounter these?

I don't want to be so wimpy but it's who I am.

We stay in Silver Springs at either Whispering Pines or Ben's Hitching Post. Both have FHUs. Ben's is $220 a month and Pines is $330 a month - you pay your own electric. We're not into the high end Resorts either. Both of these places are in the Ocala National Forest so are quiet yet Verizon has a strong signal there. They're 5 or 6 miles from the town where you can find shopping and a few restaurants - and about 12 miles from Ocala.

Archived