First time loading of Motorbike on Hydraulic Bed

RickS

Today I had to take my BMW motorbike in for a couple of warranty recall's and got a chance to use the hydraulic loader bed for the first time for this purpose. It was a little more interesting since the angle of the bed is fairly shallow but once the front tire is in the chock it wanted to roll backwards out of the chock. It would have been easier with another set of hands but I find more often than not I'm loading stuff myself. So, I'm going to have to find a way to have a strap ready once the tire is in the chock so it won't roll back even the little bit when the bike is in first gear as it won't stay upright in the chock. Maybe, a little bar with the strap at a arms reach while holding the hand brake? Hmm. Once I got it up found out the wheel tie downs for the Smart Car are not far enough forward so used the SC wheel chock as and anchor point.

Truck%252520with%252520R1200GS%252520loa

Truck%252520with%252520R1200GS%252520loa

These are the wheel chocks I have now and are bolted to the bed. On flat ground or in the Toyhauler they work great. The uphill angle of the bed makes it a bit more challenging. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=OG1L5r9A6y0

C'mon. It's a GS fer goodness sakes. You don't need no stinking loader, just leap it right onto the bed. :o

Seriously, I use the cheap cradle/rocker units from Harbor Fright. They slip into a couple of e-track fixtures that were intended for a 2x4. That said, I doubt they'd rock far enough to hold on a grade. A simple pedestal to hold the ends of your tie-downs so you can reach them from the saddle would be nice.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I use ramps..48 inch wide by 12 foot. 3 piece set up

My K1200GT goes straight up and into my front wheel chock. I put the side stand down let her lean over then work the tie downs from side to side. Easy as that.

Now my old 12 foot 2x12 times 2 was a little more tricky getting her up on the deck. Lot less weight with the new ramps to push around.

I do not understand why your bikes would roll ..even with being left in 1st. Mine does not budge at all once the front wheel is in the cradle.

These are the wheel chocks I have now and are bolted to the bed. On flat ground or in the Toyhauler they work great. The uphill angle of the bed makes it a bit more challenging. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=OG1L5r9A6y0

X2 A hands free way to strap down. Bike stays put and upright once in the chock.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

Yeah, the bike stay's put and upright with these chocks as long as they are on level ground, flat on a deck, or flat on the toyhauler floor. The angle of this loader deck means your trying to tie the bike down on a angled ramp facing uphill and if you let go of the brake it will roll backwards right out of the chock. Just need a way to lock it in place to get the straps on. :)

I also use 2 sets of trifold ramps with a support in the middle that are just over 12 ft. Also I use a winch to take the fear out of the process. I works well and the ramps store behind the back wheels. I move the ramp to the other side for unloading an drive off.

2004 Volvo 630, Freedomline, Rear view camera, Max Brake, Jackalopee, 38 ft 4 horse LQ Platinum, 40ft Jayco Talon toy hauler

Http:/www.flickr.com/photos/shallow_draft/

Https://flic.kr/p/fqhyAN

You are not lost if you don't care where you are!!

Sorry I don't know nothing about wheel chocks. :unsure:

And was not any help. :)

And I need to quit answering any questions in the HDT forums that I don't understand what they are about. :rolleyes:

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

Archived