1st trip from Washington, D.C. To Boston.

JC and Angie

Please help a brother out.

We are traveling from DC to Boston. Heard all the horror stories about 95. How is the best way to Get there and where would be a good place to stop over night on the way?

My first time ever on the east coast and have a long and tall RV to deal with.

Thanks for the help my friends

JC

2009 Volvo 780. D-16 500hp 1850 torque with a Herrin hauler bed.

2015 Continental Coach

2008 650cc Suzuki Bergman

2013 Mustang GT 500 convertible

2014 Smartcar convertible

WWW.Hollyfab.com. (Metal Fabrication Company)

Jamesc@hollyfab.com (preferred contact method)

How much time do you have to make the trip? If you can make a slow go of it, I'd go into jersey on I295N up to route 206 through Princeton and continue north to I287 into New York. I684 to I84 to Boston. That route is the most "scenic" but will take a little extra time.

The only smart way to drive I95 in the northeast is after hours, and even then, it's a crap shoot.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

We traveled to Boston a few years back with our rig. We too I-81 to I-84 and had no real problems with traffic although there are some good mountains in PA. Chose a route from DC to I-81. I-270 to I-70 would work, or even I-66. This route avoids the entire east coast.

2000 Volvo 770, 500HP/1650FP Cummins N14 and 10 Speed Autoshift 3.58 Rear 202" WB, 2002 Teton Aspen Royal 43 Foot, Burgman 650 Scooter

The tolls along the I-95 corridor north of D.C. can be quite steep, especially when towing a multi-axle RV. :o

Our preferred route is take I-83 north from Baltimore to Harrisburg, I-81 north to Scranton, then I-84 east through Connecticut. We then pop over to I-95 via several routes. The only toll going this way is the Hudson River bridge at Newburgh. If you don't mind the tolls, just stay on I-84 all the way into Boston.

It is a little further but the savings from the tolls more than pays for the extra fuel and traffic is MUCH better. I have vowed to never cross the George Washington bridge again and to avoid the NY City metro area like the plague!

Safe Travels...

Edit: It looks like Rif and I like the same route, but he types faster :D

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

Remember NO PROPANE in Balt tunnels

Good point. You would need to take I695East around Baltimore...no biggie.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

WE get off I-95 at I-66 toward Front Royal VA to I-81 and then take I-81 North to Scranton and go East on I-84 to Newburgh and Danbury. CT. There is a nice rest area right after Newburgh, I-84 Northbound. We get off I-84 to avoid Hartford , in Southington CT at I-691 and hop over to I-91 North. That intersects with 84 outside Hartford and take that up to Mass TPKE I-90 toward Boston. Not sure where you are staying around Boston. Nothing in Boston but several within a 50 mile radius in Foxborough, MA, Bellingham, Cape Cod , Salisbury, MA , and Southern NH (30 mi north). Enjoy your trip. We will be in NH at our house in the Lake Sunapee area mid July to mid Aug. if you need a spot to park with electric on I-89 near VT border, give us a call :rolleyes:

Safe travels,

Davena

PS STAY AWAY FROM DC AND BALTIMORE, ITS INSANE!

The 50 to 301 route avoids the tunnel and is a very nice ride over the Bay Bridge near Annapolis

That's how we go also. Family still in NJ.

All the above routes are OK but on the way to NE or Canada I use the GW bridge AFTER about 8-9PM and continue on I-95. Much quicker.

Ray & Deb - Shelbi the Aussie & Lexington the cat
2004 Volvo 630 500HP ISX "Bertha D" - 10 Speed-MaxBrake -ET hitch.SOLD
2009 Designer 35RLSA SOLD
Fulltiming since '07 - stopped 2016

Out of DC take 50 to 301 to 95 to 295 over the Delaware memorial bridge then take the nj turnpike to either 287 if you want to the Tappan Z bridge or stay on the turnpike and cross the George Washington bridge. Avoid rush hour times in any of the cities. Use your phone or gps to look at traffic and see which route has the least amount of red on it. Late at night will get you thru NYC the quickest. I've found that 95 is not near as busy north of NYC on Saturdays and Sunday mornings compared to the rest of the week. Remember in NY state expressways are for cars and thru ways are for trucks. If you forget this you will end up with a convertible. Nothbound 95 is slow going all the way thru Connecticut after noon during the week. There is construction all along 95 in Connecticut until you get to New Haven. If you don't have EZ Pass make sure you have lots of cash for tolls. It's free to come in to jersey, but you have to pay to leave. Get fuel in Jersey it's the cheapest in the north east and the service plazas on the turnpike are close to what you pay away from the turnpike. I worked in Mass for 6 month's and commuted back and forth to jersey every weekend. Took my trailer up to mass late one night and brought it home late one night. Oh yeah, watch out for potholes, it was a cold winter so they are bad again. Good luck and enjoy the ride.

Thanks everyone. Yes, I'm trying to avoid the convertible causing tunnels and bridges. We're staying at cherry hill in Washington then Normandy farms in Boston. Then up to Maine at pumpkin patch. Then maybe up to Nova Scotia for a rally with some friends we meet in key west.

Just have never traveled the east coast, ever. Want to know anything about the western side of the U.S., I'm your guy. Was in the natural gas industry for 25 yrs years and that's where I traveled. Sometimes 30-40 weeks of the yr.

JC

2015 Continental Coach

JC,

We stayed at Normandy Farms a few years ago. Unless things have changed, they will not allow any motorcycle (I note you have a 2008 650 Burgman just like I do) onto their property. They would not even let it in if it was mounted on a loader. Things may have changed but I suggest you check before you get there to avoid an unpleasant situation.

2000 Volvo 770, 500HP/1650FP Cummins N14 and 10 Speed Autoshift 3.58 Rear 202" WB, 2002 Teton Aspen Royal 43 Foot, Burgman 650 Scooter

i saw this great looking truck combo on I 495 today. WOW is an understatement.

We are in Baltimore if you need anything, and i travel to DC for work quite often. Also, the Pete store has wonderful service, not the cheapest, but top notch. They have a location in Landover, MD and in Baltimore just north of the I 95 tunnel.

Mark

That was us. Got here to cherry hill about noon.

And thanks

JC

2015 Continental Coach

Boy if we were not hitting the road today I think I would drive down from Delaware just to see your wonderful rig, enjoy DC

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

Archived