Alabama as a domicile?

Alabama has a State Income Tax, which is 5% after deductions. There are some types of income that is excluded, Social Security, Defined Benefit Retirement Income, Military Retirement for example. RV Tags include Ad Valorem (Property) tax as well as the license fees. The amount varies by county. We were domiciled in Chilton County which had low tax on vehicles, and the tag for a 2008 (in 2009) Tiffin Phaeton was hitting $1600 per year. If you are full time, Alabama makes it difficult to get a drivers license, vote, etc. Requires lying about having a S&B address. We relocated our domicile to Texas for this reason.

Frank
Kay - Co-pilot

Roscoe and Maggie - Rescue Beagles

"I asked God to send us a True Friend. He sent us a Beagle!"
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"

We moved residency from AL to TX when I retired from military primarily because of the huge ad valorem tax on vehicles annually. Our mh would have been taxed every year at a rate 10 times a stick home of same value. Many states in the SE & Central Atlantic areas have a similar annual vehicle tax.

Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...

'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E

'05 Honda Odyssey

Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART

http://www.pjrider.com

Let me invite you to read this article on our website about choosing a domicile, which was published in Escapee's Magazine. While it doesn't address Alabama as a domicile state, it does give you many things which need to be considered in that choice. The first thing that I suggest you check on is whether or not you will be allowed to use a mail forwarding service as an address for your driver's license and vehicle registrations. If you can't do that, it pretty much prevents the used of that state as domicile.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

There is a reason that SD, FL, and TX are the three most used states for full timers. Rather than spend time reinventing the wheel I would suggest you simply concentrate your research to one of those.

All three have excellent mail services and each has ther advantages and disadvantages so check each one out for things like health care, license requirements, registration costs, etc.

Alabama finally has an online drivers license system. It can only be used once over an 8 year period however.

https://www.alabamainteractive.org/dl_renewal/welcome.action

This is a step in the right direction, however it is useless if the state won't give you a drivers license unless you have a S & B address. Alabama won't accept a mail forwarding address for DL, vehicle registration or Voting purposes.

Frank
Kay - Co-pilot

Roscoe and Maggie - Rescue Beagles

"I asked God to send us a True Friend. He sent us a Beagle!"
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"

You might also check out Tennessee. We have no state income tax and my tag cost $50 and drivers license can be renewed on-line. Voting needs a non-commercial address.

Any idea how is Tennessee on these categories:

- Property Tax?

- Registration Renewal?

- Vehicle Inspections?

- Sales Tax?

- Mail Service?

- Homeschooling?

Archived