Radio antenna

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I have a few questions about radio antenna's. Are all antenna's the same ? Is there any antenna better than another ? What radio antenna would you use ? I need to add an antenna to the truck. I heard that you could plug into the multiplexer, but I can not find one in the truck. My CB antenna goes right to the CB. The truck also has an after market radio. I am not into satellite radio. I would like to have a good antenna. I will add the antenna to the top of the mirror. What should I look at ?

Thanks for any help,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

The multiplexor is in higher end trucks like the VNL 770s, that is why you can't find it.

There is supposed to be a fixed radio antenna on the right side on a VNL42.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Hi Al,

This info is not truck-specific, but generic:

For CB and ham radio the antenna is much more critical than for FM/AM reception, because you are transmitting as well as receiving. Hence the impedance match is important, and people talk about adjusting the SWR (standing wave ratio, a function of the impedance matching to the cable and the transmitter output circuit).

So to simply improve your FM reception (I assume you don't care as much about AM, as it seems to be dying out IMHO), you should be fine with any vehicle-style whip antenna that comes with an appropriate mounting base and cable. The only real challenges will be 1) routing the cable from the radio, out through the weatherstripping around the door, to the mirror bracket; and 2) finding a solid method to mount it to your mirror. Also standard car antennas work with the roof or fender metallic surface serving as a "ground plane" that allows the antenna to work as designed. Mounting on the top of the mirror, with no level metal panel below it, standard car antennas won't work as well. So if possible, find one designed to be mirror-mounted on a truck.

If your mirror is like mine, there is a threaded hole at the top, part of the internal aluminum casting that forms the structure of the mirror assembly. However a better option MIGHT be to find a mount that will clamp onto the round tubing. Google "trucker FM antenna". Here is an interesting discussion:

https://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=6828

Here is one link I found that looks interesting:

http://www.truckers-store.com/store-products-amfm3-4ft-FireStik-AM-FM-Receive-Antenna-Black-Only_1097998895.html

but that Firestik antenna requires their Firestik mounting adapter, which I have been unable to find by itself online.

Finally here is a generic, inexpensive, mirror-appropriate antenna:

http://www.truckers-store.com/store-products-rp-557-RoadPro-28-AM-FM-Mirror-Mount-Stainless-Steel-Antenna-Kit-with-2-Shock-Spring_41223793.html

I suspect that would work as well as the original FM antenna.

Looks like a little project in your future! Good luck,

Pete

2007 NuWa Hitchhiker Discover America 339RSB

2000 Volvo VNL64T770 with TrailerSaver hitch, wooden flat bed, Detroit 12.7L S60, 10-sp AutoShift, still tandem

Here is one link I found that looks interesting:

http://www.truckers-store.com/store-products-amfm3-4ft-FireStik-AM-FM-Receive-Antenna-Black-Only_1097998895.html

but that Firestik antenna requires their Firestik mounting adapter, which I have been unable to find by itself online.

The 3/8-24 mounting they refer to is the standard threaded cb antenna mount, they just reference their mount as they want you to buy more of their "Firestik" branded stuff, any cb antenna mount will work.

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the info. Your last suggestion looks like a good option.

http://www.truckers-...g_41223793.html

I suspect that would work as well as the original FM antenna

I like the idea of the spring.

I have a small side panel off the truck to access the antenna wire. I am also working on an idea to add turn signal lights under the mirrors. So far the brain is blank on ideas. I have seen turn signal lights on some of the long nose trucks. I am open for ideas there also.

Thanks for the help,

Al

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the info. Your last suggestion looks like a good option.

http://www.truckers-...g_41223793.html

I suspect that would work as well as the original FM antenna

I like the idea of the spring.

I have a small side panel off the truck to access the antenna wire. I am also working on an idea to add turn signal lights under the mirrors. So far the brain is blank on ideas. I have seen turn signal lights on some of the long nose trucks. I am open for ideas there also.

Thanks for the help,

Al

i used some brake light strips on the outside edge of my mirrors on mine.(on the outside of the mirror running vertical) Bright as Hell (LED), wiring was easy.

Fulltimer Class of 2007

1998 Volvo VNL64T610 Detroit Series 60 12.7 470HP/1650TQ Eaton 18spd 228"WB Tandem
2006 40' ToyHauler 3 slides and a 14' Toybox

Someone did a write up about turn signals recently (last year or 2). They used a mini van 3rd brake light that they mounted to the outside of the mirror housing. Wiring was run to the mid-cab turn signal light. I've thought about using some of those cheap LED strips from the auto section in Wally World that stick on. The red strips are bright and would get someone's attention.

As far as antenna's, in Amazon, do a search for Marine FM antenna's and boosters. There are some more options.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Red lights anywhere but the rear of a vehicle is bad Juju. Amber only.

Edit: Misread the intent. Rear facing red lamps, mounted mid-ships are good juju.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Someone did a write up about turn signals recently (last year or 2). They used a mini van 3rd brake light that they mounted to the outside of the mirror housing. Wiring was run to the mid-cab turn signal light. I've thought about using some of those cheap LED strips from the auto section in Wally World that stick on. The red strips are bright and would get someone's attention.

As far as antenna's, in Amazon, do a search for Marine FM antenna's and boosters. There are some more options.

that would have been sibernut. (aka Ron) about the turn signals. i never seen the writeup but he sent me pictures and thats what inspired me.

Fulltimer Class of 2007

1998 Volvo VNL64T610 Detroit Series 60 12.7 470HP/1650TQ Eaton 18spd 228"WB Tandem

that would have been sibernut. (aka Ron) about the turn signals. i never seen the writeup but he sent me pictures and thats what inspired me.

lou10,

Do you still have the pictures ? Can you post a picture ? That would be great if we could see a picture.

Al

Fulltimer Class of 2007

Archived