WIFI Ranger or ?

...A fine gentlemen by the name of David Bott posted an instructional video on how to hook up a wifi antenna and router using components found on Amazon and do the whole thing for under a $100.00...I was anxious to take this git-up for a test drive so I took a peak at what was floating around in the air space of my neighborhood. I found an xfinity wifi signal about a 1/4 mile from my house and decided to see if I could hook in to it. The system hooked up with no problems and that was with the antenna laying on my desk. I was able to watch a youtube video while hooked up to the xfinity wifii so I believe this is a resounding success.

I need to figure out how to seal the antenna against the elements when I mount it to my OTA antenna but I expect that will be easy to figure out.
So... to those of you interested in wifi while on the road, there are good solutions out there and at a very affordable price...

Glad you found something you are happy with!

In the interest of sharing the information with others, is this the video you are talking about? If so, the NanoStations are designed for outdoor use. No need to seal it against the weather if mounted vertically as it is intended to be. As I mentioned in post 15, I use a NanoStation2 (more powerful and sensative radio than the Loco) to access wifi. It has been outdoors with no additional protection for over four years. You will have to seal the cable entry into the RV. One thing to consider, is that the NanoStations are not designed for mobile use. In the process of their product development, Wifi Ranger considered using the NanoStation as the basis for one of their products. According to the company representatives, the NanoStation did not stand up well to the vibrations when mounted on the roof of an RV. Another thing to consider is that the NanoStation has a directional antenna. You need to mount it such that you can turn it a full 180 degrees. I have mine mounted to a pipe which can be attached to the RV ladder, a flag pole, a tripod or a weighted base that can be placed on the RV roof.

Again, glad you found something that will work for you!!

The one that dies with the most toys is still dead!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...In the interest of sharing the information with others, is this the video you are talking about? ...

Yes. That is the video I am talking about. I will be mounting this to my OTA antenna. So, when traveling the NanoStation will be horizontal subjecting the connection box to the blowing rain and dirt. I will seal the bottom of it to keep "stuff" out. By mounting it to the OTA I will have the ability to aim it for a better signal.

I will take my chances with the vibration. Since it will be mounted to the OTA I suspect that the vibration will be less than if it was hard mounted to a rigid object. Time will tell. If it turns out to be an issue then I will make the necessary adjustments.

Thanks for your input,

Phil

I generally get about 2 years out of a NS mounted on a batwing.....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

And what causes it to fail?

Phil

I've never looked at the root cause. They are throwaway devices. I would say vibration breaks up the board, but that is just a guess.

In AP use in an RV park environment I can easily get 5 years from them. Even in salt air areas and at 8500' in the Rockies in winter. So they are well built devices. But they simply are not designed or toughened for a vibration environment. Note this is with a NS that has a built in antenna. On a Bullet with an attached omni you can get less life. In that case I have seen the connection between the antenna and board fracture. I don't use Bullets anymore on RVs. I use a Pico or a Nano. Overall cheaper, simpler to deal with, and not as prone to break. Well, at least in MY experience. And virtually no one needs the antenna gain of a Bullet with (say) a 12dbi omni on it. In a fixed location I would not hesitate to use a Bullet/omni. But for mobile use there are better solutions for MOST people. If I was outfitting the typical person's RV I'd put on a Go2 and a Sky2. To me that is pretty much a perfect RV setup. For MOST people.

All the above are MY OPINIONS. Take them for what they are worth.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

• 5 weeks later...

Since using "xfinitywifi" came up on this thread I wanted to talk of my experience. I have a relative I assisted with their Comcast XFinity wifi, so one of my machines is authorized to use xfinitywifi. I just found myself in a campground with a housing development next door and there was a decent "xfinitywifi" signal, so I tried it out. I ran a speedtest.net with a ping of 18, download of 0.6 and upload of 2.0. Not good. Then I ran a download and it was slow,, sometimes only 9000 B/s, really slow. I suspect others in the campground were using xfinitywifi and slowing it way down. Just my experience at one campground, but I don't think depending on xfinitywifi is a good strategy.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Since using "xfinitywifi" came up on this thread I wanted to talk of my experience. I have a relative I assisted with their Comcast XFinity wifi, so one of my machines is authorized to use xfinitywifi. I just found myself in a campground with a housing development next door and there was a decent "xfinitywifi" signal, so I tried it out. I ran a speedtest.net with a ping of 18, download of 0.6 and upload of 2.0. Not good. Then I ran a download and it was slow,, sometimes only 9000 B/s, really slow. I suspect others in the campground were using xfinitywifi and slowing it way down. Just my experience at one campground, but I don't think depending on xfinitywifi is a good strategy.

If it will send and receive email then it's good enough for me. Thanks.

Archived