WIFI Ranger or ?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Phil and Mickey

I think you have a wrong idea of what a WFR or similar device does. It's function (If I understand it myself) is to take an external WiFi Signal and rebroadcast it so multiple devices can use it.

That external WiFi signal can be a free campground signal, MCDonalds, Starbucks etc, a private cell phone hotspot or even a home WiFi network. If you have a home wiFi netork it's like that but with some other benefits for the RV'er.

The big benefit is that multiple devices can logon to the signal from the WFR using a common password (as you'd do with a home WiFi netork). Then when an external WiFi signal comes into the WFR that signal's password (If required) can be set once using a laptop. That way the other devices don't have to change their passwords every time and the WFR provides a more secure connection for those multiple devices to what might be an insecure network.

Using the laptop you can also select several external networks and it will automatically surf from one to another if one shuts down.

It won't magically give you access to multiple networks and for your limited needs (E-mail etc) it's probably not for you.

We have a similar product from another manufacturer in our rig, together with an external antenna and a signal booster. These together give us slightly better signal on our ATT cell phone based internet connection and allow us to have single password access to other free WiFi networks when they are available. This saves data usage on our own plan which costs $10 per Gig if we exceed our monthly allowance.

Hope this helps

Somebody jump in and correct me if I have this wrong!

BnB.

2009 Monaco Cayman DP 38'

bnbrv.blogspot.com/

I do understand that expecting to hook into a wifi signal at 2 miles is pushing the envelope, would anyone like to respond to the claim made by WFR regarding their "Eilite" product and it's 2 mile range?

Well, I thought I did.

It will connect to a strong AP with LOS at that range and work well within the limitations of the originating AP signal. Notice the words I used. A STRONG AP, with clear line of sight. Trees, hills, metal, other interference and any water will block the signals enough that you will not get a two mile capture.

Thus, in a typical RV Park situation it will work exceptionally well to acquire and repeat a signal.

I guess I don't understand how WFR stays in business if their products can't be used specifically for hooking into free wifi... just thinkin' out loud.

:huh:

They can be. It is just that they are dependent on the quality of the originating AP. And in most RV parks that is not "great". You might be able to get a local business that performs better, if the AP is "open". Mostly I use it to pick up my Jetpack signal and use that as a backhaul. RIght now it is connected to BOTH the Jetpack AND a wired WAN connection. Talk about "blazing speed".....that gives it to me. As explained - the value is in its router functions, presenting one network login to my various devices (I typically will have more than 5 devices connected), the ability to host a cellular backhaul, AND its ability to capture wifi as a WAN connection (backhaul connection). The latter feature is only ONE of its benefits, and the least reason why I use it.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I guess I don't understand how WFR stays in business if their products can't be used specifically for hooking into free wifi... just thinkin' out loud.

:huh:

In my experience very few RV parks are located within line of sight of accessible wifi sources other than those provided by the park. Having a McDonalds or Starbucks down the road is the exception rather than the rule. So the issue of connecting to wifi signals at very long ranges is simply not something which most RVers will encounter frequently. Furthermore, accessing an "open" wifi provided for customers of a business without being a customer of that business can be construed to be a theft of service and is not something condoned by WiFiRanger. Our products are designed to help RVers connect to wifi at RV parks and campgrounds not for stealing wifi service from others.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

A related question. I was in a campground in the City of Jackson, Wyoming. The campground was right across the street from the public library. I was figuring on a good source of internet. I walked over and got the password and hooked up with the Smart phone. I went back to the coach which was less than 50 yards from the library building. The library's network didn't even show on the Ranger's list of available wifi's even with its bullet antenna. I tested the smart phone right outside the building and it could not see the signal unless I went inside. How could the library confine it's wifi signal so well to just the interior of the building?

Was the building, by any chance, a metal-skinned Butler Building, or something equivalent? It's virtually impossible to get a signal outside any building of that type.

If that isn't the issue then I assume that the library is using short range antennas pointed "inward" toward the center of the building. I'm sure some others will be able to explain what kind of antennas are being used.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

Was the building, by any chance, a metal-skinned Butler Building, or something equivalent? It's virtually impossible to get a signal outside any building of that type.

If that isn't the issue then I assume that the library is using short range antennas pointed "inward" toward the center of the building. I'm sure some others will be able to explain what kind of antennas are being used.

Also, keep in mind that one of the hardest things for a single to penetrate, is items with moisture in them. Like cardboard in a warehouse, I've seen an area that when the building was relatively empty was supported well with 4 access points. Once the warehouse of inventory was in and full (Done so over a three day weekend.), we ended up with 12 access points required.

Libraries used to have books, newspapers, magazines - so they could really hamper a strong signal.

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

OP - If you are really planning on Boondocking a great deal the time. You've been given solid advice to look to a cellular solution.

WiFi will be a very hit and miss while not in a park.

On WiFiRanger. Yes, I have had signals of about two miles. Line of sight, and over water. It was Jack that pointed out that just because I could see the AP, did not mean that I had a signal that would support internet connection. (I never tried it, as I was using my Verizon phone Hotspot linked into our WiFiRanger GO2. (We had the 1st generation of Go, and had the roof mounted 3 dBi Bullet booster. Now attached to the GO2, and also now have the marine rated larger antenna, I think it's 8 dBi, but that is not yet installed in place of the 3dBi antenna.). IMO, WiFi Ranger is an honest company, that works hard to support their customers. Read their literature carefully, and see if it is not worded more like 'up to 2 miles' - which in rare cases is possible... But it is not the norm...

Maximum pulling in of WiFi, would be with a directional yagi antenna. But, I sincerely doubt you will find that it will be enough depend on. And frankly, it takes some 'geek' knowledge to use yogi's properly:)!

If on a limited budget, I personally would recommend more research a pay as you go data plan via cellular provider. Read up on the two links mentioned, as Technomadia (with Jack's info in the mix) will give you some of your hardware and data plan options. Also look for a summary that Nina just did, a high level one, on how they approach this.

http://wheelingit.us/2015/05/28/the-2015-wheelingit-internet-phone-set-up/

May not be what you want to hear, all of this input nudging you to cellular - but, that's kind of the way it is!

Best of luck to you,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

IMO, WiFi Ranger is an honest company, that works hard to support their customers. Read their literature carefully, and see if it is not worded more like 'up to 2 miles' - which in rare cases is possible... But it is not the norm...

The website says that the Elite systems have a "maximum range" of 2 miles and that statement is caveated by the following statement:

Max range based on respective environments for rv and marine--increased range specs for marine do not reflect superior hardware to rv, simply a better line of sight environment; max range reflects optimal conditions with clear line of sight and powerful access points and is not to be expected as the usual range achieved.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

Thank you to all of you for replying to my inquiry. I haven't quite figured out what we'll do for internet access while traveling. Perhaps the WFR "Elite" won't do what I understand it will do from watching their video. I do know one thing for sure, on a recent trip from Houston to San Diego we burned through our 3 gig Verizon data in a matter of days. Nothing irks me more than spending money and having nothing to show for it at the end of the day. Data plans IMHO amounts to pouring money down the rat hole. I guess I'm just a tight wad.

Anyway, I know there are times when Verizon will be our best and only source for internet access but it's not a viable option for us financially to use it as our primary source.

Here is a link to a wifi ranger video: https://www.wifiranger.com/elite

The "Elite" begins at about 1:40. The video specifically mentions "Public Wifi"... Am I confused in my thinking that "Public Wifi" is "free wifi"?

Do any of you have the "Elite".

The "Elite" begins at about 1:40. The video specifically mentions "Public Wifi"... Am I confused in my thinking that "Public Wifi" is "free wifi"?

Public wifi is usually provided by a business or RV park for its customers and may or may not be "open" (not encrypted) or encrypted (requiring a password). Some public wifi's are unencrypted but have a "splash page" (a login page) on which customers may have to enter information such as their hotel room number or other identifiers.

A public wifi may or may not be free. There are plenty of places such as airports that have available public wifi but it is handled by a pay service such as Bongo. Some RV parks have "public wifi" that is not free.

I'm not sure what your confusion is related to. WiFiRanger products are designed to enable you to connect to any of the types of wifi systems I have noted above. WiFiRanger doesn't guarantee that in any arbitrary location there will be a wifi signal available to you. Nor does the company claim that you can connect to every open wifi signal you might see on the control panel regardless of how far away it might be. We design our systems so that our customers can access RV park wifi and other wifi's they may encounter while they travel.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

...Most of the time we will be boondocking...

..."Public Wifi"... Am I confused in my thinking that "Public Wifi" is "free wifi"?

You have used two terms that I am not sure have one universally accepted definition.

Boondocking to some includes neighborhood/city streets and parking lots such as Walmart and Lowes. In these situations you may well be able to access "open" wifi signals using the Elite or some of the other wifi range extending devices. If boondocking/stealth camping in a neighborhood or city where Comcast has customers, my guess is that you might have a pretty good chance of picking up a usable signal. You would have to retain your Comcast service to be able to access their hotspots. If by boondocking you mean camping on BLM or Forest Service lands where there are no developed facilities provided, in my experience and opinion, your chances of even detecting much less capturing a usable wifi signal are between slim and none unless there is someone with a cellular hotspot nearby. You are concerned about the cost of cellular. Have you considered suspending or cancelling your comcast account and using those funds for extra data? I believe there are pay as you go mifi data plans that use the Verizon cellular network. My 20gig Verizon mifi plan lets me suspend it for two 90 day periods per year.

To some Public Wifi means any open wifi access point. As already discussed, some consider using a business wifi hotspot provided for its customers without patronizing the business as theft of service and there have been some prosecutions for this. Aside from the legal issue, there is an ethical issue similar to that of overnighting at Walmart and not patronizing the store. In my experience, more and more businesses are limiting access to their wifi hotspots with a password and I don't think any of them make a real effort to make the system accessible from outside their building. As mentioned by Docj, wifi in public places like airports may not necessarily be free.

True public wifi (free to anyone) on a city wide or area wide scale is not all that common, but does exist. This webpage and this one (that is a little dated) list areas with public wifi systems. Interstate rest areas and welcome centers in some states have wifi access points located throughout the parking area. I have encountered one county park that had wifi access points throughout the whole park not just the campground. As mentioned in a previous post, libraries often have wifi or other internet access. Some offer it to everyone, some may require you to have a library card/membership which may be restricted to just residents of the local community.

The one that dies with the most toys is still dead!

I think you have received some good advice here, and been provided proper technical explanations of the capabilities and limitations of the wifi environment. The WiFIRanger family of products is specifically oriented to the frequent traveler and provides the best capabilities for the mobile user on the market today - in MY opinion. And I've tested and/or used most of the available products.

However, it cannot perform magic. There are limitations to wifi both in availability and performance. No piece of equipment can change that. Again, to obtain the best chance of connecting to the Internet you need a selection of capabilities - all of which the WiFiRanger products help to bring together for your use. Without a cellular capability you will find your ability to connect to the Web limited.

The WiFiRANGER products may not suit your needs or you may find that for YOU they are not worth the expense. Only you can decide that. There are other available options that perform parts of what the WFR products do. You may find those meet your needs. But the bottom line - disregarding what technical solution you use - is that depending on wifi alone is not a viable way to provide reliable Internet service for an RVer unless you limit your travels to only those locations that you find good wifi.

As an aside, I just configured a Nanostation (with directional antenna) on the rooftop TV antenna and rotated it towards the neighborhood on the hillside behind me. There are several businesses and probably hundreds of homes on that hillside. I have mostly good LOS (line of sight - some trees). I show 35 viable wifi signals in about a 130* sweep. Six are open. I have not tried to connect to any of them, and three are businesses that may have a splash screen. Three are homes. The farthest signal I can id is about 2500' and I could easily connect to that one. There are farther APs I'm picking up but I cannot pin down the distance. The WISP in this area runs a tower on that hill. It is about 2 miles away with LOS - I can see it with binoculars. We can get a usable signal from that tower, and run about an 8 mbps connection from it. I know because we tried it. But it is not on the wifi bands. The campground owner has a parabolic antenna pointed at a mountain about 10 miles from her house and gets a 15 mbps Internet connection from that. Again, not wifi frequencies.

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

...I just configured a Nanostation (with directional antenna),,,

I'm curious which model Nanostation and what router? Is Comcast in the Woodland Park area? Any of the open signals identified as xfinitywifi or any of the AP's using an SSID of "HOME-XXXX" which I think is what Comcast uses as the default on their wifi capable modems?

You have used two terms that I am not sure have one universally accepted definition.

Boondocking to some includes neighborhood/city streets and parking lots such as Walmart and Lowes...

To some Public Wifi means...

TCW,

Thank you for this information. When I mention boondocking I'm referring to overnighting at a place where there is no fee... we parked in the street in front of friend's house for a couple of nights and were able to use their wifi on our computer out in the coach... same for a relative near San Francisco.

The same for Public Wifi... any wifi that is not password protected is what I have always thought of as Public Wifi.

I think I'm close to having enough information to make my decision on purchasing the WFR Elite. I suppose I should call the company and speak with a representative to obtain a bit more information though.

I think I'm close to having enough information to make my decision on purchasing the WFR Elite. I suppose I should call the company and speak with a representative to obtain a bit more information though.

You're welcome to send me any specific questions you may have either via PM or at jweiss@wifiranger.com

joel

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

After reading all these confusing posts I am still left with the question whats right for me......I use a wi-fi 3g hot spot from straight talk and would like an antenna for my ladder and a repeater for the inside of my rv. The more I read the more I am confused. I think some thing from Wilson will do what I want but for the price......There must be a reasonable solution to this problem. I am not full time and only go out once every month or so....

After reading all these confusing posts I am still left with the question whats right for me......I use a wi-fi 3g hot spot from straight talk and would like an antenna for my ladder and a repeater for the inside of my rv. The more I read the more I am confused. I think some thing from Wilson will do what I want but for the price......There must be a reasonable solution to this problem. I am not full time and only go out once every month or so....

It is very confusing. Start with http://www.rvmobileinternet.com/ to get gently educated.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

......I use a wi-fi 3g hot spot from straight talk and would like an antenna for my ladder and a repeater for the inside of my rv. The more I read the more I am confused. I think some thing from Wilson will do what I want but for the price......There must be a reasonable solution to this problem...

Connecting to Wifi (using Wifi as WAN) and connecting to cellular services require different types of equipment. Increasing the capture capability of either also requires equipment specifically designed for either Wifi or cellular. While some of the smart phones, tablets and computers are capable of using either Wifi or cellular for an internet connection, I am not aware of an amplifier/signal booster that will handle both. I suggest you visit and read Jack Mayer's website in addition to Technomadia's website. They each review a number of products and discuss solutions for internet connectivity.

Just to give you a random example:

1. In an RV park in AZ the WiFi Ranger could see 20+ hot spots in addition to the park WiFi, 1 or 2 of those were "open" Xfinity hot spots that I "might" have been able to access if I had an Xfinity account. All the others were encrypted. Instead of the 1 or 2 park WiFi signals my laptop could see, I could see 4 of them with the WiFi Ranger.

2. Trinidad Lakes State Park in CO. We had "line of sight" for probably 20 miles from the top of the mountain. WiFi Ranger received no signals at all.

3. Cherry Creek State Park in suburban Denver. Could only see the park WiFi, although there must have been commercial signals within a mile or two.

In the past in Cherry Creek the park WiFi was weak and intermittent, with the WiFi Ranger it was solid and fairly fast. Of course it was off season and the park was not crowded.

4. Parked behind my house on the East side I could not get a signal from my U-Verse unit which was in a West facing room. I moved the U-Verse box 15 feet South where there were windows between it and the fiver and then had a real strong signal!

We have found that the laptops alone have difficulty picking up a lot of park WiFi; adding a Bear Extender will improve the signal acquisition considerable IF you can get the antenna in a window facing the signal; the WiFi Ranger has picked them all up strong and solid.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

Hello all,

I submitted the following to the folks at Wifi Ranger today and their reply is below my inquiry. Their reply was the kind of straight forward, cut to the chase response that I was hoping to get from the forum. So, are they feeding me a line of bull or is it the gospel?

Thoughts?

###

I am trying to decide if the Elite is right for me. I would prefer not to buy something that I will be disappointed with.
My wife and I plan to travel in our RV for several months at a time.
We have a very limited data plan with our cell phones so it will not work as a primary source for internet access.
Will the "Elite" allow us to hook into "free wifi" while we are traveling so that we can use it as our "primary source" for internet, email, skype, etc?
We never know where we will be, we may be parked in the street in front of a friend's home, a Wal-Mart parking lot, BLM land or even an RV Park.
Please advise,
###
It does sound like the Elite would be a good start for you. This will give you the ability to connect to free public WiFi at extreme ranges, up to 2 miles away. You'll also have your own private WiFi network provided from the Elite on the roof so that all of your computers/devices can connect.
When at Wal-Mart Parking lots, RV Parks, etc. you should be able to connect to free WiFi and do all of those internet-based tasks that you mentioned. However, some remote places such as boondocking on BLM land may prove to leave you disconnected, but from WiFi and Cellular, depending on how far you are from civilization. So be prepared to have some locations where you won't be able to get online.
In the future, you may consider adding some more Cellular data to the mix, and perhaps a Cellular Amplifier so that you're boosting both WiFi and Cellular for maximized connectivity. WeBoost (formerly Wilson Electronics) makes good Cellular Amps that would suit your needs. In general, I recommend people rely on both WiFi and Cellular while traveling, and that they tie it all together with a WiFiRanger Go2 indoor router for the most convenience and control of connectivity. You could start with just the Elite, and add other components like the Go2 and Cellular Amp on later.
Evan Sorenson
WiFiRanger Product Manager

I am hearing you are most concerned with recurring cost vs one time investment. If I've heard correctly this would be how I would approace a solution.

1. Determine if there are or will be any wired client devices in my unit. (Motorcoach or trailer?)
    • If wired Then a WFR GO2 or equivlent would be needed to wire those devices.
      • Printer
      • Home Theater
      • TV
      • Game Consoles etc.
    • If not then the Elite solution would work.
  2. If you have a trailer/5th consider placing the Elite etc. in your TV so you could travel to the library, McD's, etc if camped out of range. or install in your Toad if that is your setup.
    • The beauty of this setup is you can have connectivity when you are day tripping & you can drive to a WiFi HotSpot if you need to without your house.
    • The down side is appearance and leaving the spouse without connectivity if one of you runs to the store etc.
  3. Lastly I would closely monitor my cell data usage and if WiFi is a problen for your location then add 10 Gig just before you go over for that period & drop it back just prior to the next period starting. Verizion does that for us when we need.

Do not be surprised if you view your situation quite differently after living a full season with what ever direction you choose to go in. Some shoes breakin to be faviorites others not so much. They must be worn to know.

Personnaly I am considering moving my WFR Sky to my truck, Unfortunately I stuck it to the TI's roof before the experience of another season on the road revealed the potential benefit of having WiFi in the truck.

ylXUWGQ.gif

ajaR0Ky.gif

YuzFntZ.gif

Now I'm confused. Evans answer is pretty much identical to the advice you have received here.

www.jackdanmayer.com

I'm curious which model Nanostation and what router? Is Comcast in the Woodland Park area? Any of the open signals identified as xfinitywifi or any of the AP's using an SSID of "HOME-XXXX" which I think is what Comcast uses as the default on their wifi capable modems?

Nanostation is an M2-HP. Router is the latest firmware (beta) on a Go2 and also on a Pepwave SOHO. Both work.

No Comcast in Woodland Park.

www.jackdanmayer.com

Archived