Buying travel trailer to live in and have it moved when needed

ducksmobile

We have previously owned 4 rv's, so we are not unfamiliar with living in them. This time we have decided to buy, but not own a tow vehicle. We were planning on being in the midwest during the summer and Arizona during the winter. We were planning on using the services of a rv transporter to move the unit back and forth to destinations. Was wondering if anyone else is doing this? All ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Gary

We know a couple of State Park volunteers in Texas who own a very nice fifth-wheel trailer but no truck. They pay someone to move their trailer from park to park, about every three months. They drive a nice sedan and have decided it is less expensive for them overall to pay to have the trailer moved. They are not covering quite the distance that your are contemplating, but they are moving more often.

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

First of all, welcome to the Escapees forums! We will do all we can to help find good answers for you.

I'd suggest that as part of your research you may want to get some shipping company links from Google and then get quotes from several so that you will know what it actually costs. This subject comes up on occasion and there are always a few responses from folks who know someone doing this, but to date I have not seen anyone give the actual costs of doing so. It might be very helpful if you would be so kind as to share with all of us what sort of prices you find. I know that it could be done and I have known people who have shipped an RV in one direction, one time but never anyone who has done so seasonally.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

thanks very much for the helpful answers. I'm still undecided on the tow vehicle at this time. That will probably change when I can't get someone to move it about the time that I want it moved. Just like the freedom of going when I want to go and not on someones else's time schedule.

Gary

I'm a fiver driver and love having a short bed diesel and a fiver. If you are moving that little a Cummins diesel gets about 20mpg when not hauling. Makes a decent car with tremendous tow abilities. Then you can make a few bucks towing the others around that are snowbirding with no tow.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Like Roger said, towing others around for a few extra bucks is going to cost a lot of extra bucks in commercial insurance and a DOT number. Along with a CDL and some other things that can turn those few extra bucks into a really large headache.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Woder if: The possible way to go, and this assumes the same parks on each end every year, a park model on each end might do the trick

Wouldn't take long to eat up the cost of a second park model with transport costs.

LEN

Archived