Re-thinking needing a "slide"

coachmac9

Slide failures do happen as with any Rv component. We have had slides on our last two 5th wheels four on each of them. We are long timers and travel a lot. The slides have been in and out countless times without a single failure.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

For long time usage, such as full timing, the addition of slides is a real plus. Yes, you can get along fine without them, but it's a much tighter experience doing so:)!

On slides, do some thinking on what is important to you. Here are some general comments:

-Non passenger slided coaches, can allow easier access to the basements.

-A three slided coach, with one slide in the BR of the passenger side, will allow access to the front passenger bay storage.

-Having slides on only one side, say the driver side only, can allow you to fit in tighter RV spaces.

-Some slides are deeper then others, and those with the deeper slides allow more space of for living. (We had a couple with two a four slide Beaver come into our two slide coach with the front slide being a deeper slide. They were in visiting with us for about 20 minutes, when the wife commented 'This seems as spacious as our two slides living room coach.' Theirs was two shallower slides for the living area.

-Each slide adds extra weight and maintenance opportunities.

-Slides with slide covers are usually more positive then negative.

-Each slide, can also reduce headroom storage in cabinets by 4-6", depending upon the builder.

-Super slides, when done properly, can provide enough room to square dance!

-Examine the access to items in the coach, with the slides in. (I still chuckle at one we walked into where you could not open the fridge door, with the slide in...)

Not all coaches are built the same way. And the manufacturers will mix and change the kind of slide mechanism within it's models and years. And, structural integrity of the coaches can be a factor.

The advice that was given to me, was to look at the makes. models and years that we liked. Then research on owner group forums about those years and models to find out if any major problems exists.

Usually, but not always, a higher end coach with slides. Will have good build and maintain integrity of the chassis and house coach.

If the right coach comes along with one living area slide, especially if it is a deeper slide, I would consider it. But, we targeted two slides on the drivers side when shopping. And we specifically did not want a moving kitchen. (For plumbing, and cabinet storage reasons.) But that is what we wanted, and if I had found the right coach with three slides, with the 3rd slide being in the bedroom, I would have considered this too. (We wanted good access to the front passenger side storage bays.)

Happy hunting!

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

We chose our motorhome based on two deep slides on the driver's side. We used forest service campgrounds, national parks and state parks a lot so there were trees. Slides on only one side made it easier to park among the trees. Plus, it gave us a nice big patio area. We definitely didn't want the kitchen in a slide. No problems with our slides.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

I am surprised to see that "kitchen in a slide" is still considered a deal breaker by some folks. Kitchens have been located in slides for quite some time now, and the bugs have been worked out. We have our frig, stovetop, and convection oven all mounted in a slide, so the only additional item that is flexing is a gas line. It is a heavy rubber line inside of a big steel "spring" for lack of a better word, and it looks very well designed. The upper vent for the frig is flush mounted on the upper wall of the slide, and there are temperature controlled fans to assist with the venting. It works just as well as the roof-vented frig on our last fifth wheel.

Our sink is in a non-moving portion of the kitchen, so we don't have water or drain lines in the slide. I think that most "kitchen slide" trailers place the sink either in a non-moving island or on a fixed wall.

Just a little input from a "kitchen in the slide" owner, FWIW.

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

I am surprised to see that "kitchen in a slide" is still considered a deal breaker by some folks. Kitchens have been located in slides for quite some time now, and the bugs have been worked out.

I know a few people who might not agree with you that there are no extra issues from kitchen slides. It is true that not all of them have problems but they are still a common warranty call and problems get more common as the units age. No doubt that reliability is improving but they are a long way from perfection. There are still some RVs with the kitchen sink in a slide but that may be changing. I helped the owner of a 2013 motorhome replace the flexible connection for his kitchen sink drain a few months back.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Our main issue with slides was our big heavy kitchen slide. Poor distribution of weight was the main issue in my opinion. Ours was a shallow slide but long. It was in a Country Coach and simply over engineered. Every thing was hidden and a pain to maintain. The slightest hicup and it would get out of line and start jamming.

We often left it in. The good thing is is that when we purchased the coach we made sure it was usable with the slides in. Rear slide failed when a bolt sheared off.

Great coach hated the slide.

regards

• 2 weeks later...

Archived