Air Tank Leak

TwoBearBill

Now that my new governor is installed, I've discovered I have a leak in one of my air tanks from the rust worm. While I'm at it, I think it wise to replace all 3 tanks. Volvo wants $300 per tank + tax + $140 shipping from Denver. LKQ in Charlotte has nice used ones for $100 each + $175 shipping.

Anybody done business with LKQ or recommend a good source?

Could I buy an air tank from local NAPA dealer and replace 3 with 1? Is there an important reason for 3 individual tanks?

Bill Greenwade

Full Timer from Mena, Arkansas

2012 KZ 40ft 5th Wheel Toy Hauler

1998 Volvo VNL 610

Don't know about NAPA handling these but never hurts to ask. I believe you need three separate tanks as each tank performs a specific function. Will see if I can find my copy of air system schematic to help. Maybe someone has one handy and haven't checked lately but pretty sure Mark has one on the resource guide or on his website. Sorry not familiar with other company

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Sorry posting at same time as Bill and Mark

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

AHA! That would explain why 3 tanks! I'm learning. I will pursue replacing all 3. I don't want ANY of them to fail. I consider myself very fortunate to discover it while workamping in one place for the summer and not on the side of the road somewhere.

Bill Greenwade

1998 Volvo VNL 610

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

I say replace all three. I had one leaking and when we got them out we found pin holes in all three.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

There are many aftermarket suppliers of about all standard truck components. Put a value on your time as you write down the number of bulkheads and their clocking for each tank, then start looking at places like six states distributing and other places like that. Many have the factory parts book and can find your tanks by year, make and model.

I'm a work'n on it.

Threaded bosses welded into the tank, and where on the tank they are installed. In other words, if the drain is always pointed down, which it should always be, then that is 6:00 clocking. Where is the inlet in relation to that, and where are the outlets and other items in relation to each other. Sometimes generic air tanks are made and used in many applications. As long as the size of bulkheads or bosses or whatever one wishes to call them and the amount of them are somewhere close, the lines that connect to them, can be re-arranged easy enough. No air tanks should be hard plumbed with steel line that I know of on a truck.

The air tank is a reservoir, nothing more. So adapting a bit is fine IMO. It's things like brake pots and spring cans or treadle valves that you must make sure are the right ones without compromise or adapting to make anything fit. The air tanks themselves are like battery boxes. You can relocate them or re-arrange them as needed to facilitate other needed changes.

I'm a work'n on it.

Same happened to the Argosy 15 yrs old. Rusted out under the strap. Ordered both tanks, $550 for both. Don't mind paying OEM prices, exact fit and all. Have better things to do with my time than search half the world for extra fittings because the holes are in the wrong places on generics.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Jeff, our situations are different. You're still making a living with your truck, so time is $. Mine is going to sit while I'm in Gunnison for 6 months and I have other transportation. I don't plan to buy generics - I've already found a couple of sets with the same fittings.

Bill Greenwade

1998 Volvo VNL 610

I looked once for sources and all have similar prices, not cheap.

I think part of the reason is the liability that comes with these components.

Ray & Deb - Shelbi the Aussie & Lexington the cat
2004 Volvo 630 500HP ISX "Bertha D" - 10 Speed-MaxBrake -ET hitch.SOLD
2009 Designer 35RLSA SOLD
Fulltiming since '07 - stopped 2016

No offense intended toward anyone, however, this is a good example why anyone driving a Class 8 truck should go through training. If nothing else, it will let you know what to be scared about and what is par for the course.

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

No offense intended toward anyone, however, this is a good example why anyone driving a Class 8 truck should go through training. If nothing else, it will let you know what to be scared about and what is par for the course.

True enough. There is plenty of online educational material oriented towards commercial drivers that is easily digested. EVERYONE should be familiar with air brakes, theory of operation, etc. Also, everyone should be aware that as good as the HDT brakes are, they DO NOT stop you like a car, or even a pickup pulling a light trailer....assuming you are hauling heavy. And many here are.

Modifying/substituting brake components on a tractor is not something you want to be involved in. Unless you absolutely know what you are doing.....some guys here do know exactly what they are doing, but for everyone else (me included) I'm sticking to the original design parameters and components.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Training and STUDY regarding air brakes can go a long way to saving heart-pounding moments, downtime, potential tows for repair, AND not needlessly replacing components that were not the problem.

Last winter I replaced the original rear service brake valve that was NOT failed with a NEW service brake valve because.........the FAILED spring brake valve was back-flowing into the "balance-line" that connects the service brake valve to the spring brake valve to relieve over-pressure to the spring brake when you depress the service brake while you have the park brake set.

Seldom........very seldom does the spring brake valve fail since it is a very simple valve........BUT......it has a check valve built-in that will only let air flow into the valve from the service brake valve.......the check is supposed to NOT let air flow from the spring brake valve to the service brake valve.

I should have known what the problem from the first occurrence...... because +40 years ago some of the old log trucks would have the same problem after 2,000,000 miles of wash-board dirt / mud / rock pig-trail logging operations......the constant pounding simply would wear the check valve out......I was the kid that got to crawl down between the drivers and change out the nasty mud / ice crusted little valve.....

I should have known better ............so far I "think' that this is the only thing I have forgot in the last FORTY years.........."I t h i n k.........

Drive on........(only if the brakes work...)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

i would NOT replace your used tanks with ANOTHER used tank. id pony up the $$ for brand new and also put new fittings on the new air tanks.

its NOT fun to change those tanks to start with. LET alone put a used tank back on that could put you in the same situation soon down the road.

Fulltimer Class of 2007

1998 Volvo VNL64T610 Detroit Series 60 12.7 470HP/1650TQ Eaton 18spd 228"WB Tandem
2006 40' ToyHauler 3 slides and a 14' Toybox

Archived