TEXAS REQUIRED RV INSPECTION

dkgood

Just received a notice from the DMV and it noted that I would be required to have my RV inspected before I could obtain my license. Has anyone else had their RV inspected and where do you get this done? Can the same people that inspect my vehicle do the inspection? If you have any information, I would be happy to hear from you. This in the state of Texas.

The inspection can be done at any licensed inspection station, but I would call ahead to be sure that they are willing to do an RV. I am assuming that you have a towed RV? If so, those over the weight of 4000# have been required an inspection for many years but in the past there was no effort to enforce that requirement. Now that they have gone to the one sticker type of registrations the inspection must be done because it is part of the registration, unless you happen to be out of state with the RV when registration is due. In that case you can certify that and so register without one.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I am amazed at the number of people complaining about the "new" requirement for a trailer inspection. This has been the law in Texas for a number of years and we have always had ours inspected.

I have talked with a handful of people that have received tickets for no inspection sticker over the years. They were stopped for something else and the LEO knew enough to look for the inspection sticker.

All the state has done is to make it mandatory to have the inspection done or you do not get your license plate or sticker.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

We always got inspection. The problem is my lifestyle. I work shutdowns. We work 7days a week until finished. I can't pull slides in, carry Teton to inspection station , bring back and set it up again. Tags will be dead and can't get until inspection. This year tags were 2 months dead due to this and we towed to next town for job like this. Had Teton inspected on trip. Ordered tags once we arrived. But we tow illegal. This is not good.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

This has been the law in Texas for a number of years and we have always had ours inspected.

When we first started fulltiming back in 1998, we had our fifth wheel inspected in Livingston (along with the truck) before getting it registered and getting our driver's licenses.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

The big handicap for large trailers is room to get in a facility that normally only does cars/trucks. A lot of RV dealers only perform inspections on units they sell and will not do a drop in. Ironically, the only things checked is lights, tires and brakes. The places I have been pull the breakaway and see if the trailer will move. A number of folks have their units in a park set up and seldom move. Since a lot of parks require a current license, these have a handicap in picking up "stuff" trying to find a facility and hoping the can get in/out.

Jim

Just got mine done this morning.

Exit 478 West side of I-35 is a Kwik Kar Lube station. 25 minute wait, and $7.00 total. Not too difficult.

I hear your pain, this is the first week since March that I could even drive in my pasture to get the thing out.

Mike & Carol Phillips

2001 Carriage Conestoga

2002 Dodge CTD 3500

FYI: I just received a renewal registration for one of my trailers. It is a 16 foot flatbed with a farm tag, I have two farm trailers, the flatbed and a cattle

trailer. When the new law went in effect, March 2015, I had expected to have to have them inspected. That is not the case. They sent my new sticker, it goes

on the plate. I was happy because they have never been inspected and they both are over the weight limit for inspection. It must be because they are farm trailers?

The renewal stayed the same price as past years, $7 each.

All state inspection stations have to do cars, motorcycles and trailers. DOT is another deal. Unfortunately most inspection stations are too small for RV's. I use a inspection station that does DOT tractor trailer inspections. Plenty of room there

2008 Ford F350 PowerStroke DRW
2006 Raptor 3813
2007 Harley Davidson ElectraGlide Classic

2010 Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra Classic
Street/Strip Harley Sportster Racebike
SFC (ret) US Army

Archived