Goodyear G114 failing

Ronbo

Bobi and Dick

Just asking what problems you had with Sumitomo tires? I am in the process of putting Sumitomo ST 727 215/7517.5 16ply H load rated 4805# 125#psi, will run at 100#psi on my 5er.

2011 vnl730 D13 435/1650 I-shift singled mid 2015 Keystone Raptor 425ts 2015 Smart

I also run the G114. We just started on our 5th year, so it is about time to replace. My biggest concern with other brands are where they are made. Goodyear is the only USA made tire. also the Michelin only has a 62 MPH rating. Not a fan of Goodyear, but to me there is not much choice.

Cary

The Bridgestone R 184 are also made in the USA. It has a 65 MPH rating which is plenty fast enough for me.

Tom and Karen. Our Sumitomo ties wore unevenly even after balancing and having the rig aligned. We lost a tread at 1700 miles and when we pulled into the dealer in Bakersfield they showed me another that was starting to separate. I am absolutely anal about tire care. They are in a garage about 6 months a year. Sumitomo picked up the two tires and after checking them out sent us a check for the cost of two of the Bridgestones and the damage, $1500, to our rig. The dealer in Bakersfield said the Bridgestone 184 is the tire almost all the oil outfits run on the their lowboy equipment trailers and they never have any problems. I actually wanted Michelins but they were on backorder for about 60 days. So far I am very pleased with the Bridgestones.

Trey I have removed some wt from the rv to the truck but I can't move too much or the pin will be too light. I have also added solar panels. The conte installs I am looking at are rated at 75 mph and have the 6000 lb rating per tire. I need to find a chart to see where to run them for my wt. I hope you are going to be at the rally this year. I need another wt. my rims are 6.75 and will permit me to go to the 235/75 r 17.5 tires

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Ron,

Don't know if it helps but my F450 came with 19" Continentals. Can't say I was impressed with the ride or wear. No huge issues though.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

The continentals I was going to buy are nowhere to be found in the nation. I don't want a tire that I can't get a replacement. The Goodyear dealer I was at doesn't work with Goodyear doing adjustments. Goodyear suggested discount tire. They do work with Goodyear. I m replacing all the 2 remaining on the ground and the 2 Chinese tires. I paid full rice for 2 and 29% for 2. Total with road hazard is $1479.96

Ron C.

We found dealing with Wingfoot, the commercial arm of Goodyear, far better for getting Goodyears tires. They have to deal with truckers who don't have the same sense of humor as civilians at a Goodyear store.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

We found dealing with Wingfoot, the commercial arm of Goodyear, far better for getting Goodyears tires. They have to deal with truckers who don't have the same sense of humor as civilians at a Goodyear store.

Yeah, I agree with that. They deal with these issues every day and know how to get you back on the road. Also, if you are dealing with a non-Goodyear shop (someone who is just a retailer of Goodyear products), they are not going to help you much.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Yeah, I agree with that. They deal with these issues every day and know how to get you back on the road. Also, if you are dealing with a non-Goodyear shop (someone who is just a retailer of Goodyear products), they are not going to help you much.

Hey Jack, what ever happened with your tire destruction? I was away from the forum for awhile and didn't see the final resolution on your thread.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Hey Jack, what ever happened with your tire destruction? I was away from the forum for awhile and didn't see the final resolution on your thread.

It was a run-flat situation. Looking at the carcass it was pretty clear that the tire lost air (unknown reason) and then I ran on it. This was one of the primary motivators for me to dump the Pressure Pro on the trailer. I was getting a LOT of drop outs. So this tire dropped out and serendipitously failed somehow. All within 30 miles of trip start. And the walkaround did not show an issue - at least that I noticed.

I now use TST on the trailer and have not had a SINGLE dropout (I have the repeater). Not one. Unlike the PressurePro that was constantly dropping a tire here and there, for varying lengths of time. I do have a lot of comm gear in the bands that the Pressure Pro uses so I may be causing this myself. But the TST works, and that is all I care about. I still run PP on the truck and the two work well together.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Noob question...Having Goodyear G114 215-75R-17.5 LHT load range H installed this week on on our MS 36RSSB3. Plan to install a TPMS and was wondering if the term TST stated in the above posts is the same thing.

Roger and Barbara

On the pale blue planet, retired and happy.

2011 DRV MS 36RSSB3

2015 GMC Crew Cab Duramax DRW

Get individual wheel wys. Until then run them at max pressure. This will ensure you are not overloading any tire. I believe that was my original cause

Ron C.

I'll play the role of contrarian.
For the past 9 out of 10 years, I've run 17.5" Michelin XTA 2 Energy tires—Load range J—on our Teton. Have not had any issues.
As a former tire changer-turned-salesman, I can tell you that Goodyear offers a better warranty and, in most cases, will pay for damage as a resutl of tire failure. Not true for Michelin. That being said, I've run Michelins on all vehicles I have owned since the 1970's and will continue to do so in the future.
Mark

Mark & Sue---SKP#86611
'06 International 4400LoPro DT570 310hp 950ft-lbs.-Allison--3.70 gears
'05 36' Teton Liberty
'12 BMW F650 twin

I had tread separation in Stember on one. Yesterday I had 2 more loose the tread. That is 3 total in 8 months. I have done the was. I run them at 125 psi as recommended. I have a TPS that only went off on 1 because it got a slow leak.

What tires are others running on 17.5 inch rims that are lasting.

Did you file a complete actionable (Full DOT serial and vehicle VIN is what they need) complaint with NHTSA? One for each failure is appropriate.

Complaining around a campfire or on an RV forum may make one feel better but it will not put the pressure needed on the tire industry to improve the quality and durability of tires in RV application.

This goes for all who ever have a tire failure unless you have identified it was due to cut/puncture/valve leak.

Check out my Blog www.RVTireSafety.NET

I serve on Tech Advisory board of FMCA as their Tire Expert.

Give three different seminars on tires at RV events and I also give three seminars on Genealogy too.

Well isn't this just a dandy thread to find. Just ordered 6 G614's for my Cyclone... :blink: Fortunately I have also read plenty of threads where the FEW Goodyear failures were 100% backed, including damage to the trailer.

I'm a tri-axle with, in theory, around 2500# on each wheel. But, I suspect that my kitchen with slide and double fridge full of beans and beer weighs a lot more than the couch, so the right rear corner is the heaviest corner. And, that is where a Blowmax went out of round and then blew. And I mean BLEW, sounded like someone fired a 105mm back there. (Yes, I've experienced that noise....lol) The Blowmaxes are a 3500 pound E rated (hmmmm, that's an eyebrow raiser right there) at 65mph. So, the G614 G rated 3750 at 75 mph (which I rarely ever do) should provide me a better safety margin.

Yes I run a TPMS..... started beeping seconds after the BOOM. But, it has also alerted me to slow leaks in time to slow down and get off the road before further damage happened. HIGHLY recommended.

Previously a 2017 Forest River, Berkshire 38A, "The Dragonship". https://dragonship.blog/

Archived