Go Fund Me........ ?

Kirk W

On Facebook I just saw postings for a fund raising effort to benefit one of the RV parks that was damaged in the recent flash flood that hit Blanco, TX. Being one who does make monetary donations to disaster relief, but not without some investigation or via a known and respected charity, it got me to thinking. As near as I am able to tell, anyone can sign up on the website Go Fund Me and they alone collect the money and control what is done with that money, as long as the pass a Facebook test and a few others. So how do we know if the person soliciting is telling us the truth? Is this not actually a case of electronic panhandling?

I'm sure that at least some of these people really are in need, yet the recent disaster that I'm most familiar with, the Van, TX tornado has not one solicitation there which I could find. From the website:

Donors should only contribute payments to GoFundMe users they personally know and trust. We’re often asked how a donor can tell the authenticity of a personal cause found on GoFundMe. Unfortunately there is no way to 100% guarantee that a user’s GoFundMe donation page contains accurate or truthful information. As such, donors should not make payments to any campaigns or people unless they fully understand and trust the cause presented.

How about sharing with all of us how you look at such campaigns and what if anything you do to verify the validity of the solicitation.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

The answer is found in the text you quoted --

Donors should only contribute payments to ... (entities) ... they personally know and trust.

Edited to make general.

Most non-profits can be researched (to some degree), but you still end up trusting the individuals that operate them.

(Have in mind the recent case of some 'cancer' charities that were frauds/scams.)

I saw that too. I can't imagine not having insurance for a commercial operation. Also I don't believe it was started by the campground owners.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Our niece just recently received a liver transplant. Before they would put her on the transplant list, she had to show that she had a certain percentage of $100K in order to maintain the new liver if she were to get one. They started a Gofundme campaign, and she received a lot of the money needed, When I checked into it, I found out that Gofund me keeps 8% of each donation. I decided to send a donation directly to her let her keep the 8%.

Gene, Gayle, & Oliver-(the dog)
2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ
2012 Honda CRV toad
Blue Ox tow bar & base plate/Air Force One braking

Archived