Medford unfriendly to RVers?

gypsydan

Interesting tread. Just confirms we are all different with different needs. We have been RV'ing in one form or another for nearly 30 years and we never thought of us being special or different or exempt from any rule or regulation . We are just ordinary people who like to Rv jut like ordinary people who like to golf or hike or who are boaters.

We are fairly avid sport shooters and I now see that we are discriminated against as to were we can shoot . There are rules and regulations that are sport shooter unfriendly .There are some folks in a nearby city complaining about a indoor shooting range that might be installed because it will draw a "undesirable element". I have two strikes against me I am a RV'er and sport shooter crap I even Golf and I can't hit a golf ball anywhere I want. What activity can I take up were you are exempt from rues and regulations.

And if you don't live in Medford why do you even need to go there.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just want to point out that in my searches, I found no RV parks in the city of Medford. They are in surrounding cities, but none in Medford itself.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

We are fairly avid sport shooters and I now see that we are discriminated against as to were we can shoot . There are rules and regulations that are sport shooter unfriendly .There are some folks in a nearby city complaining about a indoor shooting range that might be installed because it will draw a "undesirable element". I have two strikes against me I am a RV'er and sport shooter crap I even Golf and I can't hit a golf ball anywhere I want. What activity can I take up were you are exempt from rues and regulations.

LOL... this is an interesting comparison. Someone sleeping quietly parked overnight in a Walmart parking lot compared to someone else making noise and using devices that expel particles that, unless carefully controlled, penetrate buildings and people.

Really? You actually see a parallel here?

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

I follow a van dweller on YT. He is an avid Wal-Mart parker. However, a recent video showed a Wal-Mart in Utah in which the parking lot was peppered with Class A, Class C and travel trailers that had been parked there long-term. Many had stickers notifying the owners that the vehicle must be removed or it would be towed. That made me wonder who could they find who would be willing to tow said vehicles, some of which were likely inoperable. Should Wal-Mart bear the cost? Should the tow facility bear the cost of towing and storage?

The problem is not the well-maintained, operable RVs parked overnight. The problem is the decrepit vehicles parked long term. I even saw an A-frame trailer set up there with no vehicle in sight. That wasn't overnight parking, that was camping! The store manager said that while overnight parking was officially prohibited there, by practice it was allowed. However, "living" there was not allowed.

Just because you show up with a well-kept RV doesn't mean that those who came before you have also done so.

Should Wal-Mart bear the cost? Should the tow facility bear the cost of towing and storage?

Most businesses contract with a local towing company to remove unwanted vehicles (you see the signs in many places). The towing company tows the vehicles, stores them, and charges insanely high fees if the owners want to redeem them. Or they auction them off. Or move them to junkyards. The business pays them nothing. Towing companies compete for the chance to do this.

This is not a new issue and it's been solved for many years.

WDR

Ham Radio

We have the same situation here, the towing companies are eager to tow anything at no cost to the HOA once the local police ticket it. Once the tow company has touched the vehicle they are allowed to tow it away, even if the owner suddenly shows up to move it off the street. Getting the vehicle back costs towing, storage and administrative charges which leaves the tow company with a tidy profit.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

I just want to point out that in my searches, I found no RV parks in the city of Medford. They are in surrounding cities, but none in Medford itself.

That is the reason most RV's have wheels and can be moved. :D

Some even pull toads or have a TV that can be driven to Medford if it is necessary for some reason to be in that town. :)

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

WDR,

Here is the parallel.

There are some folks in a nearby city complaining about a indoor shooting range that might be installed because it will draw a "undesirable element.

'98 Volvo, '03 Newmar Mountain Aire 5er,
'07 Polaris Ranger
Part timing all the time

photo-25557.jpg?__rand=0.62441800+135093

I love the Rogue Valley, Medford, and Ashland area, usually stopping there on my way north. I have been hearing over the past few years of many towns around the country which are becoming unfriendly to RVers. Medford, OR, seems to be the latest I've heard about, which, because I lik the area, makes the latest blog from Nick Russell (Gypsy Journal) on May 19, disturbing. He reports not being allowed to park at Wal-mart, which is confirmed in a letter from the Mayors office that RVers are not allowed to park overnight at Wal-mart. The police will apparently provide you with a ticket, or make you move, should you desire to stop at any business which offers free parking. I will stay at an RV park if I am going to be in an area for several days, but would prefer not to if I'm traveling through the the area and would only be there for one night.

My question for writing this topic is to discover what other towns around the country are not friendly to RVers?

I found this in a few oregon cities this year. The Walmart in nearby Grants Pass is still OK. Or at least it was in April.

Paul Beddows

Summer-Abbotsford BC, Winter Jalisco Mexico

Co-Founder of NATCOA

Wagon Master for Caravanas de Mexico RV Caravans

2010 Majestic Class C

There are some folks in a nearby city complaining about a indoor shooting range that might be installed because it will draw a "undesirable element.

Well crap... now I'm a member of at least two undesirable elements...

WDR

Ham Radio

We ride our RZR in the widerness but cant ride them through many towns. Some towns and counties do allow it. I guess I might have to boycott those RZR unfriendly places.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

LOL... this is an interesting comparison. Someone sleeping quietly parked overnight in a Walmart parking lot compared to someone else making noise and using devices that expel particles that, unless carefully controlled, penetrate buildings and people.

WDR

Yep - Some see both as undesirable elements. Nothing to see here folks - just move along to the next town.

We ride our RZR in the widerness but cant ride them through many towns. Some towns and counties do allow it. I guess I might have to boycott those RZR unfriendly places.

Is there any activity or lifestyle that one can't find some group opposed to? Somehow I very much doubt that. I have seen threads here and other places that attack Walmart Stores as abusive to employees and small businessmen. We do seem to get awfully emotional about such subjects. Lets just all vote with our money and each make our own choice.

We should all listen to this fine example of reason and sound logic! :D

Oh Hallelujah, I have seen the light! Rules are being made to repress all the RV'ers!! How could I have been so blind all these years? Thank God I am an RV'er. Now I realize that I can just do what I want and all others be damned! Those unfriendly bastards. Thanks for opening my eyes to this travesty!!

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Interesting, a Canadian and an Australian fed up with the rules and regulations in their own countries so they come to the United States to RV and don't like the rules and regulations here either. :huh: I wonder how far I'd get going into Canada or Australia and lobbying to be able to carry a handgun. :lol: As a guest, one can choose to accept the laws of the country one is visiting or go to other countries. There are more than a few members of this forum that have said they will not go to Canada because of its laws.

What's even more interesting is your interpretation of what was actually said. Did I categorically state at any one juncture that as a guest in YOUR country we didn't accept YOUR laws? Thank heavens you are not the example of the majority of americans we've crossed paths with and grown to love and enjoy in most of our travels, and I hope that YOUR attitude darn well stays south of the border keeping your handguns company.

Why oh why would you respond like you did? I'm sure your country hasn't benefitted or enjoyed our tourist dollars spent or real estate investment dollars either that your realtors have been begging us to bring down for the con "steal of the deals" since pre 2006 and still ongoing. If this is the attitude about us as British Expat Canadians by every day americans generally, then maybe we've been the fools all along and it's time to realize that we are not welcome in your country as generally until now we've felt we were once past the border crossings. How sad for us to be made to feel this way. If this is what you wanted to achieve congratulations you've succeeded with us.

Your comments TCW, I personally find very very offensive, when we are the first to believe "when in rome do as the romans do". We even learnt and were interviewed in French to come to our new country believing we should have the ability to speak both recognized languages. We've personally experienced over the past two decades alone, losing too much of our traditional ways and what makes us recognisably Canadian because of people immigrating demanding their home countries traditions and beliefs and ways of doing/speaking be accommodated. If it was truly that wonderful why did they leave their lands of origin in the first place.

As for emotional, your darn tooting right when it comes to unprovoked comments like this.

We can all make up imaginary groups that might be opposed to rules. I can do that too. Suppose a town made it illegal to have a picnic in the park because the local restaurants felt they were losing business to those lazy folks who refused to do the right thing and support local businesses? Would this be unfriendly to people who like to picnic?

Get a grip, folks.

The issue is simple. Why shouldn't Walmart be able to decide who spends an overnight in their parking lot? They own it (or at least control it). They're willing to patrol it and light it.

As far as the shoplifters and thieves it seems to me that they would only be active during the hours businesses are open; which would not, at least for the great majority, be overnight. They'd be there during the day and probably come in cars. So the best way to stop that sort of activity would be to ban cars parked during business hours.

WDR

Ham Radio

WDR

the parallel are rules and regulations that prevent you from doing what you what to do no matter what the activity.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

We can all make up imaginary groups that might be opposed to rules. I can do that too. Suppose a town made it illegal to have a picnic in the park because the local restaurants felt they were losing business to those lazy folks who refused to do the right thing and support local businesses? Would this be unfriendly to people who like to picnic?

Get a grip, folks.

The issue is simple. Why shouldn't Walmart be able to decide who spends an overnight in their parking lot? They own it (or at least control it). They're willing to patrol it and light it.

As far as the shoplifters and thieves it seems to me that they would only be active during the hours businesses are open; which would not, at least for the great majority, be overnight. They'd be there during the day and probably come in cars. So the best way to stop that sort of activity would be to ban cars parked during business hours.

WDR

I doubt its Walmart. Most RVers drop $100 in their store each time they stay. I suspect its lobbying form RV parks.

Paul Beddows

Summer-Abbotsford BC, Winter Jalisco Mexico

Co-Founder of NATCOA

Wagon Master for Caravanas de Mexico RV Caravans

2010 Majestic Class C

Canucks we welcome all of you here. I speak pretty good Canadian, ,how aboot that..Eh.

I found this in a few oregon cities this year. The Walmart in nearby Grants Pass is still OK. Or at least it was in April.

Howdy Paul,

The Grants Pass Walmart is one of my regular stops, from my home to there is a good days drive, I have been parking over night there for years and have not YET had any problems.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

WDR,

mopips, on 24 May 2015 - 10:16 AM, said:snapback.png

Well crap... now I'm a member of at least two undesirable elements...

WDR

Yeh, me too!

Get a grip, folks.

WDR

I agree with this, in principle but, as you should realize by now, it just isn't the way things work.

Yeh, me too!

WDR

'98 Volvo, '03 Newmar Mountain Aire 5er,
'07 Polaris Ranger
Part timing all the time

photo-25557.jpg?__rand=0.62441800+135093

Full Time Wannabe,

Sorry if you were offended by my comments, but I was not the one that said;

The key with this subject/debate has nothing to do with how much you do or don't pay to camp/park over night. Regardless of location.

The key point is CHOICE. Most/many of us went RVing to escape from everyday rules and regulations. When rules and regulation dictate where you can and can't camp/park then you need to decide on what is important to your RVing lifestyle.

Simple fact is that the vast majority of the USA has options and a variety of choices. The few places that limit choice can easily be avoided. Support the RV friendly locations and avoid those that don't suit your travel style.

regards

Couldn't agree with you more Bruce on many points but especially your second paragraph....

My intent was not to offend and apologize that it did. My intent was to make a point that our country has a strong tradition of local government.

The one that dies with the most toys is still dead!

Howdy All,

So a couple of you folks admit to being a member of at least two groups of undesirables, your slaking.......... <_< I'd get bored if only two groups objected to my being around. :lol:

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Kirk , I hope you realize I was being facetious ....:)

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Using your logic, since it is Walmarts parking lot, they should be able to authorize underage drinking, right? As long as the kids don't leave the parking lot, it should be ok, right? After all Walmart is "willing to patrol it and light it". And how about nudity? Naked people wandering around their parking lot could be interesting. I'd shop there as long as the naked people were under thirty or so. I don't like seeing myself naked anymore and certainly don't want to look at a bunch of old naked retirees. Should Walmart be able to allow public urination in their parking lot? It's a long way inside to the restroom. After all, it is their parking lot and they own it so it should be up to them, correct? How about the sale and usage of marijuana and cocaine? Would that be alright, if Walmart allows it? If richfaa and I get permission, should we be able to hold target practice in the Walmart parking lot? We would only do it in an out of the way corner and of course, we would buy all our ammunition at the Walmart. Would a city ordinance saying no target practice except at a gun range make the city "firearm unfriendly"?

According to you a Walmart parking lot should be a safe haven from any law that Walmart chooses to allow in their parking lot, right? Or do you only object to the city having laws that affect the things YOU want to do in Walmarts parking lot?

I'll make you a deal. I will support you sleeping in Walmarts parking lot, if you admit that my arguments are every bit as valid as yours.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Archived