Lost one of our own today

gben

I have the sad task to inform this great community of the passing of one of the early HDT members of our community. David Czetli had an apparent heart attack and died this morning in his shop in Smyra, DE. David was an early member and bought, converted, built beds etc on several trucks including one of the early flat ground based lifts for a smart car. David was a very bright guy and owned and operated his own machine shop in Delaware for years. David and Ute had just really got the shop back on its feet, had gotten back together and life was really good. Some of you will remember that David built and had 3 trucks at one time. His sone pulled with one, David with another and he built and sold a third complete with very nice beds on all three. David attended many of the national HDT rally and was one of the keys in the formation and holding of the first East Coast rally. I talked to Ute just now and she is still at the hospital but promised to call with more details later. I will update all as soon as I know more. In the meantime please keep Ute and her family in your thoughts and prayers.

Gene

2013 Entegra

45 ft. Anthem DLQ

2012 Ford F150 Lariat SuperCrew 4X4 EconoBoost

http://community.web...om/user/gben101

http://bensoneducation.com

David was one of my first contacts with the HDT community when I first started my research. My prayers are with the Czetli family.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

Am I assuming correct that this is a.k.a. "Toterman"? If so, my wife and I met him at the 2007 ECR in Gettysburg. He was very outgoing, with a bigger than life personality, and had a great looking rig. He was influential in our decision to eventually get an HDT.

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

Thank you Gene for passing on this very sad news. Dave was a great resource and incentive to so many in the early days of the HDT movement. He contributed a lot and worked hard to make our events a huge success. So very sad to loose such a good friend. Ute, you and your family are in our thoughts and prayers. Sending hugs,

Davena and Henry

Toterman's rig was one of the first that I ever saw. Like others said, him and his posts are what made me start dreaming of my own HDT.

He will be missed by many here and my heart goes out to his family.

And yes, Jim Hicks owns one of his trucks.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

So sorry to hear this, his truck is what led to me to this fine group, as we chased him down to photo it then I finally located him to chat, turned out he was not far from where we live. Never got a chance to meet in person, my loss, just would like to send our prayers for his family.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

Oh man! Bummer! Losing too many friends and acquaintances these days.

Thanks for the heads up Gene and our condolences to Ute.

David was an inspiration to all of us. Godspeed Toterman!

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

Never met the man, sorry to hear of his passing, my best to his family.

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

I remember "Toterman" with his additions to the forum. He will be missed, Godspeed Toterman!

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

Again,David's rigs were among the first found with a Google search. He was well in front of the pack, and shared freely of his knowledge. Farewell to a friend from the internet.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Just a couple of days ago I pointed someone to see if Dave could cut new stencil plates for his steps.

It is rough when people younger than you, leave.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Condolences to his family. Our prayers are with them. A true innovator.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Toterman has left the forum and we will miss his presence for sure. Ute, be safe and well. You two at the first East Coast Rally are our roots as HDTers. Peace to you and your family from Merrily and me.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

Our condolences to David's family during this difficult time. Although we have never met, we have seen many posts on the HDT forum by him, since we started reading all the posts (from Day 1)

We lost a great innovator, and he will be missed.

Bob & JoAnne

2001 Gulfstream Yellowstone Capri XL 36' 5th Wheel

2003 Volvo 770, Cummins ISX 450, 10spd autoshift

"Keep your head in the clouds, and your feet on the ground"

Out thoughts and prayers will also be with his family. I never met him but bought some fenders and other parts from him. He was extremely fair and went out of his way to make sure everything was to my liking and dare I say advantage. When I offered more money for his excellent service he would not take it. He will be missed.

David definitely did stand out.

David was one of the "pioneers" of this group, innovative, and exuberant.

He will be missed, very sorry to hear this news.

Rick

1998 VOLVO 610 VED-12 @ 425 HP with 13 speed, 22.5" rubber, TC Equipped, single 3.70 drive axle, 193'' WB. REESE, 30K 4 way rocker-hitch, Jordan Ultima 2020. Under-frame mounted Honda 3000 ei, Towing a DRV MobileSuites- 36TK3 with TrailAir Pin Box, a Yamaha Road Star 1700 on deck. http://diesel-gypsy.blogspot.com

Dave will be missed. He was the kind of guy you could meet once and feel like you knew him forever. Enjoyed the early ECR's Dave put on and had the good fortune to camp next to him and Ute at Sturgis. Always upbeat and positive, and willing to lend a helping hand to every one.

Mike

http://community.webshots.com/user/leeclay

Volvo 770, 391k Sunnybrook, HD Roadking his, HD Dyna Glide Hers.

Oh Gosh, that is a shame.

First time we met David and Ute we immediately liked them.

Please give our condolences to Ute and the whole family, and may God Bless his soul.

Bob

And yes, his HDT builds were some real fine and innovative work.

1989 Safari Serengeti 34'
Towing a 1952 M38A1 Military Willys

Past HDT owner

Ute, Robin and I are so sorry for your loss. I got a call today from a dear friend and regular here on the forum today to let us know. Ute, you and Dave have been so giving, so generous and have made us feel so welcome in so many ways. Dave, you were truly a PIONEER and will always be remembered as a straight shooter and great contributor. I am proud to call you friend. God Bless. You will be missed.

Jim

fbcover2.jpg

Fulltiming, Class of 2013

2001 Volvo VNL 610 with Smart Hauler Bed (FOOTLOOSE)

2012 Smart 4 Two (FANCY-FREE)

2004 Newmar Mountain Aire with Motorcycle Lift (LEADFOOT)

2013 Harley Davidson Road Glide Ultra (LIGHTFOOT)

"Submarines Forever"

Archived