Questions about Tivo Roamio OTA data usage

I too am looking into an OTA DVR. I am leaning towards the Tivo Roamio OTA even though it requires a $14.99 monthly subscription service. For the service to work it needs an internet connection for daily updates. Our internet service is a Verizon data card plugged into a router on a 20gb plan. My question is, (assuming I did no other streaming or watching of tv thru the internet) what gb usage would be for just the Tivo to work properly? I just got off the phone w/ Tivo and they couldn't guess at what it would be. This is a deal breaker if it uses a lot of gb's. The next option for me is the channel master dvr which doesn't offer as much but it also doesn't require the internet connection.

travel safe and enjoy the ride

Eric and Karla Trippe w/ their dog Kora always in our thoughts
2006 3650 Georgie Boy Landau.. on a F53 chassis.
pulling a Malibu Maxx...w/ a kayak on top (Liquid Logic Duce Coupe)

09/16 update, after 8 yrs of fting, bought a house in Crystal Lake, IL

http://acoupleofboomers.blogspot.com

I too am looking into an OTA DVR. I am leaning towards the Tivo Roamio OTA even though it requires a $14.99 monthly subscription service. For the service to work it needs an internet connection for daily updates. Our internet service is a Verizon data card plugged into a router on a 20gb plan. My question is, (assuming I did no other streaming or watching of tv thru the internet) what gb usage would be for just the Tivo to work properly? I just got off the phone w/ Tivo and they couldn't guess at what it would be. This is a deal breaker if it uses a lot of gb's. The next option for me is the channel master dvr which doesn't offer as much but it also doesn't require the internet connection.

Isn't it amazing that Tivo can't answer your question? If you can find out where Tivo gets their guide data, maybe you can call those people and get a straight answer. There's only two or three services which provide that info.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Here's a link to a discussion on the RV.net forum:

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/28354622.cfm

The general consensus is that the guide data is minimal. There may be an occasional software update that would use a fair amount of data.

Tom
—————————————————
2005 Born Free 24' Rear Bath
Towing 1978 VW Bug convertible
Minneapolis, MN

We have been using TiVo for 7 months now. Verizon AirCard and Cradlepoint Router. I have not seen any appreciable data use by the TiVo. In other words, my overall data usage seems the same with Tivo on 24/7. I can't give you any numbers on just Tivo use specifically.

thanks all. with your help I'm ready to order the tivo roamio ota and close my account w/ directv.

again thanks

travel safe and enjoy the ride

Eric and Karla Trippe w/ their dog Kora always in our thoughts
2006 3650 Georgie Boy Landau.. on a F53 chassis.
pulling a Malibu Maxx...w/ a kayak on top (Liquid Logic Duce Coupe)

09/16 update, after 8 yrs of fting, bought a house in Crystal Lake, IL

http://acoupleofboomers.blogspot.com

Hope this works out for you. Let us know.

I'm surprised to hear that there are people who can get by with OTA only TV. Eight months of the year I stay in places where there is no OTA service at all. The other four months, the signal is inconsistent.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Archived