Are you using a Composting Toilet in your RV?

gypsydan

RV Travel was advertising the Natures Head toilet today in their blog. I've been reading about composting toilets for years, and am wondering about them

http://www.natureshead.net/?gclid=CO_H74nDt8UCFdcXHwod-J0Arw

It would be interesting to hear from people who are actually using one in an RV. I read about their use in homes and public places, but not in an RV. My experience being around composting is that it does not smell.

Has anyone had experience with Natures Head? They don't mention if you can use something besides peat moss for the initial filler, so will have to email them.

2009 Four Winds Chateau - 25' class C          2002 Chevy Tracker

1458033694__statesVisitedas-ofMarch-2012.jpg.b173645da4a43150ba2820dc7a6bdfc5.jpg

I have never known anyone to use one in an RV.

Where did they suggest you dump the compost while you are on the road? I have never seen such a dump station, so that would be a major issue.

On one TV program for those "tiny homes" they suggested adding it to your vegetable garden or your backyard compost pile. That does not sound very practical or neighbor-friendly, frankly. I would also pass on the vegetables from such a neighbor's yard.

Have you considered an incinerating toilet, instead?

http://www.incinolet.com/

No dumping, no water, no plumbing, no mess. Our next build will replace a conventional toilet with an incinerator.

New Domain!! Blogging at workingtourists.com

Fulltime FreightKampers since 2010

2006 Freightliner M2 Business Class

96" ICT Sleeper - Living Fulltime Comfortably in 64 sf !

I will be using one in my rv. Though it wont be a NH nor a Sunmar etc. I am using the loveable loo concept in my house now actually. I do not like the separation toilets that require a separate bottle for liquid. The bucket toilet is so much easier and to most extents, safer than a production compost toilet as they require quite a lot of cleaning and maintenance. If you have to repair one during a trip, you wont be happy. They seem to be somewhat finicky with the type of carbon material you use. The bucket is not.

Here's a video of Paul Chambers as he gets his first composting toilet.

I then learned that they got rid of the sunmar production toilet and went to a bucket system.

Here's a video of the loveable loo. I bought Joe's book, "the humanure handbook". It is really a great read and Joe's straight up, tell it how it is and direct sense of humor will get you laughing now and then. But so far, I am very happy with my bucket system, and plan to have one in the rv. I made mine using a Rigid brand tool bax. My whole house is equipped with a industrial/mechanical theme. All my cabinets are tool boxes etc. I can take a picture and post it if you wish.

I'm a work'n on it.

I noticed the Wynns did not ask for, nor have they had installed one in their new rig. Wonder if that is a contractual thing or they aren't telling something.

Actually, the Wynn's posted a photo of them moving their composting toilet in their Smart Car to install in the new RV before they took delivery. They are committed to their composting toilet. (We know them in person.. we have actually 'gone' with the Wynns.. and their enthusiasm for it is real.)

Cherie & Chris (and Kiki *meow*) / Personal Blog: Technomadia.com
Technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5 Winnebago Travato GL Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Hosts of the Mobile Internet Resource Center
Mobile Internet Information for RVers, Cruisers & Nomads
Proud to be recognized as Escapee's Commercial Partners #773 / Escapees RVOU Instructors

Actually, the Wynn's posted a photo of them moving their composting toilet in their Smart Car to install in the new RV before they took delivery. They are committed to their composting toilet. (We know them in person.. we have actually 'gone' with the Wynns.. and their enthusiasm for it is real.)

I've watched some of your videos too. Good job.

I'm a work'n on it.

Actually, the Wynn's posted a photo of them moving their composting toilet in their Smart Car to install in the new RV before they took delivery. They are committed to their composting toilet. (We know them in person.. we have actually 'gone' with the Wynns.. and their enthusiasm for it

Glad to hear it. They didn't mention it in the vids on the new rig yet so was wondering. We're still on the fence about composting toilets so are very interested in others' experiences.

Berkshire XL 40QL

Camphosting and touring

http://roadslesstraveled.us/dirty-little-secrets-rv-dump-station/

Note the part about Disposing of the Urine.

Not all BLM locations allow dumping or disposal. San Rafael Swell in Utah has a no dump rule. EVERYTHING has to be hauled back out when you leave. While camped South of Hanksville, I watch & listened to a Ranger go after a camper for emptying most of his fresh water tank preparing for the trip home. Ranger did not care it was fresh water. Not say right or wrong but an event I watched & heard first hand.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

My campers always develop a fresh water leak at I leave the campground. Geez, at least I wait until I am on the road!!!

Next time ask the BLM Ranger about the oil BLM uses on their roads and how that impact compares to water. I would also ask a question about common sense in law enforcement.

Composting toilet do work. They require lots of maintenance, but for a RV'er no more than a black tank. For a composting toilet to work in a RV you really need to remove the black tank and open an access door to the composting unit on the side of the RV.

They do NOT work at all in cold climates. So that is one consideration.

The upside is that a properly functioning composting will not have to be dumped very often. The downside is I am not sure where you could legally dump the contents except at a sewer plant and they probably would not take it!! We had one set of composting toilets in a ferry terminal that worked perfectly for 30 years. We paid lots of money to get rid of 11 others.

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

As to the dumping of the compost toilet, I would have to believe that pretty much everyone would know at least one person that has a compost pile or bin for their yard or garden. ?

I also think one will find as time rolls on and the water supply issue world wide becomes even higher priority for political campaigning etc., the composting toilet system of any type will become much more supported by the various agencies.

The composting toilet itself, does not care what the temperature outside is. Only the compost pile cares what the outside temp is and even then, it does not kill the composting process, only freezes it until temps rise again, then the process continues. You can still add to the frozen pile, you just need to observe certain safety aspects that may be required if one has a compost bin in the climate that freezes for long periods.

I'm a work'n on it.

Composting toilets work well inside an RV. There are no issues "processing" since there is a temperate, contained environment. The people that I know with them inside an RV bag the compost and throw it into the trash. The separated urine is either dumped outside on the ground (in a boondock environment) or sent down the drain if hooked up. I'm not recommending either technique...I'm just passing on information.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Disposal can be easy. For separation composting toilets the liquid can be disposed of responsibly in two ways; The first is to pour it down any toilet. The second is to dliute it four parts water to one part unine and use as a spray on fertilizer. There are places that collect urine for that purpose. Just means doing a little homework or knowing someone with a garden who's willing to take it.

The solid matter is also relatively easy to dispose of in a responsible way. You can't pour is down a sewer hole as it's not a liquid. Since it's mixed with a base medium, it's really almost like mortar in consistency. Some municipalities have compost piles that are dedicated to non-edible plants and will accept composting toilet solids. Personal compost piles that are not used for growing food stuffs as someone else mentioned is also a good alternative. The third is to place the solid matter into bags and dispose of in industrial dumpsters where rubbish (non-food trash) and garbage (food trash) is mixed.

I'm sure there are other ways to disposing the contents that I'm not even aware of yet.

Traveling with Shadow and his rubber chicken.

I have enjoyed reading this topic. There are apparently many on the road who have had experience with composting toilets in their rigs, though not too many responded. . To be effective at making the toilet material safe, it does need to be composted in a compost bin for a longer period of time than what be accomplished in the short time-span it would be in RV.

In doing more research I found many interesting sites. Following are a few links I found after googling composting human waste and humanure. The bottom line: it is safe. And, when in civilization find a gardener with a composting bin, who may take your waste,or maybe a farm in the country.

You Can Compost Human Waste!

Is It Safe To Use Compost Made From Treated Human Waste?

The Humanure Toilet Manual (free)

http://humanurehandbook.com/

2009 Four Winds Chateau - 25' class C          2002 Chevy Tracker

1458033694__statesVisitedas-ofMarch-2012.jpg.b173645da4a43150ba2820dc7a6bdfc5.jpg

Our family built an earth-sheltered home in the early 80's and I installed a composting toilet. The company rep told me that it would not handle our family's "output" and he was right. Thankfully, we had plumbed for a conventional toilet and ended up putting one in that house. However, I have never abandoned the idea. I think for one or two folks the type of toilet I chose with a fan to dry liquids in the composting drawer might still work.

Here's a link to info about a couple who installed a composting toilet in their RV http://www.thegoodluckduck.com/2012/10/composting-toilets-for-rvs-and-simple.html

Here's a link to a young full-timing family who had a composting toilet in their first RV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JMp49KtNSg

• 4 weeks later...

We have installed a Nature's Head in our 5er and are quite happy with it. In my opinion, there is less hassle or "ick factor" than dealing with the Black Tank. We are not yet full time and are using the trailer weekends only, but we have not had to change the solids bin in the past two months. Before installing in our trailer, I set it up in my son's old bedroom with the vent out the window. We used it two months there and never had a problem. We are sold on our Nature's Head (yes, it isn't cheap); anybody want to buy a used Dometic toilet?

As has been said before, the urine can be disposed of in any toilet -- or in some places, poured into the ground. I strongly recommend buying a 2nd urine container to facilitate transfer to an appropriate dump location.

Regarding the semi-composted solid matter - certainly the ideal solution is adding this to a non-vegetable garden compost bin. However, bagging it and throwing it in the trash generates less waste than does a family with a child in disposable diapers!

While I haven't made the installation very pretty (yet), here is info on our setup: Composting Toilet

Judith & Mark - Class of 2015

2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 dually 6.7 L Diesel

2011 Heartland Bighorn 3670 (38')

Blog: http://www.yourpcgeek.com/blog

We have installed a Nature's Head in our 5er and are quite happy with it. In my opinion, there is less hassle or "ick factor" than dealing with the Black Tank. We are not yet full time and are using the trailer weekends only, but we have not had to change the solids bin in the past two months. Before installing in our trailer, I set it up in my son's old bedroom with the vent out the window. We used it two months there and never had a problem. We are sold on our Nature's Head (yes, it isn't cheap); anybody want to buy a used Dometic toilet?

As has been said before, the urine can be disposed of in any toilet -- or in some places, poured into the ground. I strongly recommend buying a 2nd urine container to facilitate transfer to an appropriate dump location.

Regarding the semi-composted solid matter - certainly the ideal solution is adding this to a non-vegetable garden compost bin. However, bagging it and throwing it in the trash generates less waste than does a family with a child in disposable diapers!

While I haven't made the installation very pretty (yet), here is info on our setup: Composting Toilet

Thanks for putting up this reply. I want to say something, and it is not at all directed at anyone. But,......the idea that human waste should not be used in a human consumption garden is psychological only. Those that promote such a concept in books and other media seem to have no, or very little knowledge of soil and soil's make up.

Also,....are you ready for this?..........Some, I say some, not all, but some of the imported produce from what we seem to call 3rd world countries, was grown in raw, untreated sewage from humans.

I'm a work'n on it.

There are many composting toilet models out there. There's also the C-Head, Sun-Mar and others. The more you look the more you'll find. Not all are separation toilets, and that's the key. You want to keep the solids separate from the liquids to keep the smell and toxicity down.

Traveling with Shadow and his rubber chicken.

Archived