Lost Signal in Mississippi

We are currently in the Grenada Mississippi area and probably will be here for 3-5 months. What has happened is that the campground we are in is located in a very low signal area for both Verizon data and voice. We have used a Wilson Sleek 4G booster with a Trucker antenna mounted on the crank up TV antenna arm for 2 years now with no issue until now. When I say low signal, without the Sleek, we might get 1X, with the Sleek we get either 2-3bars of 3G or we might luck out and receive1 bar of 4G. It's definitely the area, as I can take the mifi and laptop 3 tenths of a mile any direction and have a strong 4G signal.

So what is the best, cheapest, easiest to install, latest and greatest booster and antenna setup? The wifi here at the campground is OK during the middle of the business day when no one is using it, but by 3:30-4 o'clock it's bandwidth is all being used and is very slow.

Suggestions or ideas?

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

If that 3/10 of a mile includes a rise in elevation, I'd be looking at trying to get the antenna higher, first. Rigid Al conduit comes in 10 foot joints, and is purchased threaded on both ends. Costs aren't too bad, and could be returnable, assuming you keep the threads in good shape and the conduit undamaged.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

One suggestion is to learn how to access the signal strength in dBm on your phone. It is a significantly more accurate measurement than what you can achieve using the "bars" on the display. Usually the signal strength can be found using the Settings menus under something like About Phone/Phone Status.

As was noted in the post above, you need to accurately assess your situation to ensure that you actually have a line of sight to the tower. If you are being shielded by a hillside or something else that prevents a line of sight, it's possible that no amplifier can help you. I would walk the line between where you get a good signal and where you are parked to see if the signal falls off precipitously at some point because of an obstruction. We lived in a home once that was shadowed by a hillside between us and the tower and nothing we could do would give us a reliable cellular signal.

Having said that, if your Sleek isn't giving you a reliable signal you might want to consider upgrading to its "big brothers". Wilson Electronics has rebranded itself to WeBoost and sells two devices that are more powerful than the Sleek (and which can handle multiple phones and don't require they be in a cradle). The Drive 4G-M is currently available through online retailers and the even more powerful Drive 4G-X is supposed to be released "soon." Here's a link to the 4G-M on Amazon: http://smile.amazon.com/weBoost-Drive-4G-M-Phone-Booster/dp/B00RHMFPEU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431266341&sr=8-1&keywords=weboost+4g-m

Maximum Signal also will be selling a booster in competition to WeBoost, but it's still not clear when that one will reach the market.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

About the only thing you can do Jim is to use a directional antenna. That will help. But only if you have some line of site to the tower, as mentioned above.

There are more powerful boosters - the 4G from Wilson is one. But I doubt that will make the difference. The Sleek is not a "bad" amp but the 4G is better. HOWEVER, without a directional antenna you may not get any benefit from the 4G. Wilson is now weBoost. The Drive 4G-M is the more powerful booster. Do not buy the home product or you will not be able to get it out of oscillation...it requires a lot of separation - not suitable for "most" RVs. If you can find an old Wilson product on sale they are identical. Only the color is different. weBoost products are black.

It is a tossup on which will work better, the new amp or the directional antenna.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

One suggestion is to learn how to access the signal strength in dBm on your phone. It is a significantly more accurate measurement than what you can achieve using the "bars" on the display. Usually the signal strength can be found using the Settings menus under something like About Phone/Phone Status.

As was noted in the post above, you need to accurately assess your situation to ensure that you actually have a line of sight to the tower. If you are being shielded by a hillside or something else that prevents a line of sight, it's possible that no amplifier can help you. I would walk the line between where you get a good signal and where you are parked to see if the signal falls off precipitously at some point because of an obstruction. We lived in a home once that was shadowed by a hillside between us and the tower and nothing we could do would give us a reliable cellular signal.

Having said that, if your Sleek isn't giving you a reliable signal you might want to consider upgrading to its "big brothers". Wilson Electronics has rebranded itself to WeBoost and sells two devices that are more powerful than the Sleek (and which can handle multiple phones and don't require they be in a cradle). The Drive 4G-M is currently available through online retailers and the even more powerful Drive 4G-X is supposed to be released "soon." Here's a link to the 4G-M on Amazon: http://smile.amazon.com/weBoost-Drive-4G-M-Phone-Booster/dp/B00RHMFPEU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431266341&sr=8-1&keywords=weboost+4g-m

Maximum Signal also will be selling a booster in competition to WeBoost, but it's still not clear when that one will reach the market.

Looks like we have won this long drawn out war . We will be able to sell the public with Real Power ! Sensitivity that floors the competition. Hopefully they have no run out of roadblocks.Paperwork is officially approved just waiting for the issuing of the grant that allows us to produce. New owners manuals that have been approved by the FCC are now on www.maximumsignal.info

Keeping You Connected

Proud Commercial Member #129 http://www.maximumsignal.net/

We often find this situation. We have found that boosting our Wilson Trucker Antennae up in the air solves our issue every time. We use an inexpensive extendable paint pole. We've never used a booster etc

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

Archived