walmart no cash back

trostberg

I have been using Walmarts to get cash while I travel and today had issues 3 times at 2 Walmarts so called Discover.

They said that Walmart has not renewed this arrangement and they are not sure what will be happening in the future. So need to find a Dollar General where Discover also has this type of arrangement.

Sam's Club no longer issues Discover card, so I am not surprised that Wal-Mart/Sam's Club no longer has deals with Discover.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

I have Discover (actually was my first card ever), and I like the card alot. As most know, its not the most accepted card, but the customer service is excellent, the fraud detection is good, the points system is simple, and they can be generous with limits and you can get a 12 month promo 0% APR usually once a year, if you call and ask. I like to use the 0% promo to pre-pay on long term debt, while I let monthly purchases go to the card, making sure I pay off the balance before the promo APR expires. I use it at all the big box stores, any bills that will accept it, and online. Otherwise, I go to my Amex or my Chase cards. I'm bummed to hear about not being able to get cash back on Discover from Walmart anymore, I also do this all the time. The "cash over" is not considered a cash advance, but rather just tacks onto the purchase, so you still get the 30 day grace period. I use it to have a bit of regular pocket money on hand to pay for discounted gas, tolls, etc. You dont get points on the cash you take out though. I prefer cashover to my debit card, because I don't like exposing my debit card to card swipers if I can help it. I'd prefer to have a fraud case on my credit card, than my bank acct!

I know Safeway participates in the cashover program, but their limit is $40. I know various other supermarkets also do this. You got me thinking and I did a search and found a list of places that participate in this program. I guess we can scratch out Sams/Walmart though: https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/member-benefits/cash-over-purchases.html

I did get cash at Dollar General but there was a $1 service fee. Not sure if the others on your list note if there is a service fee. $40 max at Dollar General. The other stores she listed while I was on the phone are not in my travels in Missouri

As a business owner (wannabee fulltimer) I am not surprised at the reluctance for the Discover card. I believe your right about the higher fees to the business owner. I am also a little surprised of the fact that retailers are offering the cash back option. They pay fees on all the monies that are credited on the card so for every dollar they give you in cash, they may only see $.97 and possibly less. Walmart as a high volume dealer in credit cards is probably not in the 3% range but none the less there is a cost involved.

Todd

“…nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kinds of people.” – Mark Twain

We do not use Discover so we do not have the problem

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Sam's Club no longer issues Discover card, so I am not surprised that Wal-Mart/Sam's Club no longer has deals with Discover.

I paid for my new membership last week with my Discover card.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Not sure if they accept Discover but I often use my debit card and get cash back at PetsMart, Walgreens and most grocery stores.

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

I paid for my new membership last week with my Discover card.

Yes, Sam's still accepts Discover, but no longer has a branded one. I use my Discover card all the time at Sam's, it is one I have had longer than my Sam's membership.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

I believe Discover card is a card that was brought out by Sears years ago. Now Sears is having financial problems and thus may be the reason for the card problems. This is just my opinion. Dave.

2006 Coachmen Aurora 36ft. Class A motor home. 2009 Honda CRV toad. "Snowbirds" apprx. 6 mos. each year. Travelling to the SW each winter than returning to Wi. each summer. Retired and enjoying our travels along with Buddy the cat.

I tested this today as we get our $60 play money this way. We pay our bill in full monthly so it's a easy way to get a little cash.

First I tried it at WalMart and it didn't work.

I then went to Safeway and it worked. So must be a WalMart thing.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

The problem I had was in Missouri but Discover when I called them directly seemed to indicate it was not a local issue.

I am back in a state where I have a bank that will cash a check. There were no Wells Fargos in MO and last year when I went through Louisianna none their either. I do have a Walmart Master card but have not used it for cash back. Do they give you cash back without a finance charge or cash advance fee?

I would never use a "Credit Card" for cash back. I am sure they will be charging a "Cash Advance" charge. I will use my debit card to obtain cash from my checking account at a grocery store on occasion. One of my banks used to refund the ATM fee for up to 6 times a month but they retired that a couple years ago. I was OK with it since I had a Bank of America card and there were B of A branches nearly everywhere. Now a lot of them are closing. Might have to use the Credit Union network soon, can't decide which account I want to close. Both have been with me for a long time. Just don't want to have to watch Three.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

I would never use a "Credit Card" for cash back. I am sure they will be charging a "Cash Advance" charge.

Just what I have been thinking through this entire thread......... We use very little cash, but that could get expensive needlessly.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We have a regular local bank (visa) credit/debit card. It works for cash back most anywhere across the country. No fees ,no charges just cash back. We use it as a debit card.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

The Discover Card has not charged a fee for cash back ( in the past ) at check out stand. Maybe at an ATM but then I do not use them unless I have to. Also when you pay the balance on your card in full every month there is not even an intrest charge. I do not like to carry a lot of cash around.

Jeanie and John

Ford F-250 super crew

Americana 34/35 GS (it's a Forest River Cardinal with extras)

One just has to know and understand the card they are using.

Archived