Source for UV Protected/Outdoor CAT5 cable?

I'm moving our older generation WiFiRanger Mobile Bullet, with the XT 15" antenna, to mount to our Winegard Sensar IV mast. (Want to be able to raise it up off of the roof that much higher, and then due to the non flexible 15" XT antenna, be able to lay it down on the roof while traveling.).

I need a run of 50' CAT5 to do this. Prefer not to run conduit on the roof. Loves, Home Depot, etc. did not seem to have any UV Protective/Outdoor cables available. Found one on Amazon, but the reviews reported about poor connectors, so that makes me less then enthusiastic to try them.

Anyone know of a good quality UV Protected/Outdoor CAT5/6 cable source?

TIA,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

I did run conduit on the roof to lift the cables a 1/4" off the roof to allow rain runoff.

I put my own RJ45 ends on the CAT-5 cable. It allows me to run the CAT-5 through1/4" holes.

You will find outdoor grade CAT-5 cable at Home Depot/Lowes but not all the time.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

It is easy to find a box of Outdoor-rated Cat5 at the Home stores. I've never seen one without it (unless they happen to be out of stock). Expect to pay around $75 for 500'. Of course you have to know how to make your own ends.

I published a "how to" article on the paid RV Mobile Internet site of Chris and Cherie (Technomadia). This site is well worth subscribing to if you are interested in anything about Mobile data and connectivity. I post ALL of my communications content there first, and sometimes only there. I no longer post my communications content (for the most part) to my personal website.

HERE is a link to the Google version of the article - "Building Ethernet Network Cables".

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I'll take another look at Home Depot and Lowes. A gent in the RV Park we're in, said he go some at Fry's, so I'll check with them too. I was looking for 50' lengths, already terminated. Never thought about looking for bulk wire. I can always donate what I don't use to Habitat for Humanity. OK with doing my own endings, this way I can control the quality of the components.

I have a good size waterproof roof junction box, with good access to the inside of the coach. And will just do islands of tacking the run to the roof, usually just use a dab of Dicor.

And agree with subscribing to Technomadia's site, I do, and recommend them to others too...

Best to all,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

I'm wondering how you changed out the cable in the first place. Doesn't that antenna have a line attached with no screw-off? Did you just cut the line near the base or what? I have one, too, and will be putting it on my OTA antenna soon. Problem is, OTA is at rear of coach; thru-the-roof holes are at front. So, I have about 30' to cover across the roof. Did you check to see that RR didn't already provide us with UV capable wire?

Jerry

2008 Country Coach Allure 470 38'

425 Cummins, 4 slides, tag

2014 4-dr Jeep Rubicon

I'm wondering how you changed out the cable in the first place. Doesn't that antenna have a line attached with no screw-off? Did you just cut the line near the base or what? I have one, too, and will be putting it on my OTA antenna soon. Problem is, OTA is at rear of coach; thru-the-roof holes are at front. So, I have about 30' to cover across the roof. Did you check to see that RR didn't already provide us with UV capable wire?

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

I have not move it yet. It is up on the roof as I type, with the OEM Stubby Antenna. I have not looked at how the POE feed attaches, so you may have just given me a surprise:)!

We have finish cabinet work starting next week, and when we get the RV back I'll look at what i have to work with. Hate to add a splice into the cable, or female to female coupling, but suppose I could and then heat shrink tube over the coupling if needed.

I'll know sometime later this month.

I talked with my BIL, and he has about 250+ of good quality outdoor CAT 5 cable that he has left from a project. So that part is covered and a great price, free:)! (I'll borrow his connector gear too, as he has a full arsenal of equipment available...)

Best,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

Smitty, thanks, but you ignored me; and you know what happens when you ignore me. I have to come up there, and nobody's getting any desert tonight!

You forgot to tell me whether the Cat-5 cable RR sends with the bullet antenna is already UV protected. I could call and find out; but I'd rather you do all the work.

Jerry

2008 Country Coach Allure 470 38'

425 Cummins, 4 slides, tag

2014 4-dr Jeep Rubicon

If you are talking about the cable that comes preconnected to the Bullet in the Mobile product then yes, it is UV.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Yes I did. And Jack, thanks for confirming that it is UV. I need to get up on the roof to look again, but I thought this was the MB2T (Or "2" something) Bullet, with custom software to play well with the Ranger. I thought these all came with a standard CAT 5 female connector, with a waterproof sleeved screw on bottom to tighten up and hold things together. Figured it would be a relatively simple swap over to a longer cable.

I was actually going to go overboard on adding the new XT antenna, thinking this was the risk area:)!

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

Archived