Advice on cat enclosures please

defboater

Our Kitty is 9 and quite bashful and scared. We are going to take her on our first snowbirding trip; so FT will be her first time in the fiver. I'm very nervous about it and decided to ask the experts here for advice. Thank you all! :rolleyes: When we finally bring the fiver home we are going to slowly introduce her.

Which cat enclosure did you get? Kitty is 7 pounds and quite long and beautiful.

Any advice about introducing her to the fiver would be appreciated.

2008 Carriage Cameo F31KS3

Mor Ryde

Ford F350 diesel 4x4

traveling with our pretty kitty

We just took ours inside and let her sniff around and check the place out. We did put a couple of her toys, a bed, her carrier, water and food inside as well. We just sat around and watched some TV while she got comfortable. The next step was to take her with us on the next trip. It took her a little bit to get used to the movement and she wanted to be in my wife's lap part of the time and in her carrier the rest. On the trip home she wanted to be on the dash so she could watch.

We got her a harness and would take her outside on a leash at the various destinations so she could roll around in the dirt, sniff and watch critters. If anything startled her she ran to the coach and we always had to keep the door open. If we closed it she would run back to it and sit on the step until we opened it again. Then she would wander around again.

Take your time and let your cat get used to the environment before you take her on a longer trip. You might want to put your cat in the carrier and have her in the truck with you. Take her on several drives in the truck, starting with a trip around the block and increasing distances after that. Good luck!

Full time since August 2010

2002 Itasca Horizon

One fur kid - a Shih-Tsu rescue

Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd

We just took ours inside and let her sniff around and check the place out. We did put a couple of her toys, a bed, her carrier, water and food inside as well. We just sat around and watched some TV while she got comfortable. The next step was to take her with us on the next trip. It took her a little bit to get used to the movement and she wanted to be in my wife's lap part of the time and in her carrier the rest. On the trip home she wanted to be on the dash so she could watch.

We got her a harness and would take her outside on a leash at the various destinations so she could roll around in the dirt, sniff and watch critters. If anything startled her she ran to the coach and we always had to keep the door open. If we closed it she would run back to it and sit on the step until we opened it again. Then she would wander around again.

Take your time and let your cat get used to the environment before you take her on a longer trip. You might want to put your cat in the carrier and have her in the truck with you. Take her on several drives in the truck, starting with a trip around the block and increasing distances after that. Good luck!

Thank you - good advice. We can start around the 'block' first. Which cat carrier did you choose and why? There are alot of choices out there.

2008 Carriage Cameo F31KS3

Mor Ryde

Ford F350 diesel 4x4

traveling with our pretty kitty

We have a hard sided plastic one with metal mesh doors. Same as you find in most pet stores. We put a towel or small bed inside along with something she likes, a toy or whatever. Prop the door open, or remove it, and put it somewhere in a corner, under a table etc. When you are traveling, that will become her safe place. If you put her in the truck with you be sure the carrier is secure on the back seat and take a towel with you. Sometimes it will calm them down it you put a towel over the top and sides of the carrier. Leave two ends open for air and so she can see out some.

Full time since August 2010

2002 Itasca Horizon

One fur kid - a Shih-Tsu rescue

Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd

Our kitty loves the Nature's Miracle folding crate

http://www.petsmart.com/dog/crates-gates-containment/nature-s-miracle-trade-port-a-crate-dog-crate-zid36-7281/cat-36-catid-100013?var_id=36-7281&_t=pfm%3Dcategory%26pfmvalue%3Dfaceted

Yes, I know it says dog crate, but get one the right size for your cat and they will love it. She travels in it but we let her out inside the rig for water, food, cat box needs when we stop for lunch or breaks.

The beauty of the folding crate (soft sided) is that it is RV space friendly. We did add a soft cushion on the bottom but other than that is has been a great find. She doesn't mind being placed in it for travel - I think she likes the security and we don't have to worry about her getting mixed up in the driver's pedals.

Jeff, Patricia and Sage 

Full timers for 15 years

Future part timers 

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the late response! Hope all worked out, KittyCat, and I hope my experience noted below helps others in the same situation.

I adopted a frightened/formerly-feral rescue cat 6 months ago and, to introduce her to our liveaboard boat (and three rescue dogs), for several days I kept her in a large dog kennel (6' x 6' wire kennel, took up almost all of our living area LOL). I placed in the kennel several blankets that had smells familiar to her, so she would feel less displaced.

She quickly learned she was in a safe environment. Once I opened the gate so she was free to "roam about the cabin" well, she did so. Since then she has never looked back - she is now called "Captain G." :D

Rachael, Snow, Oliver, Fiona and Gloria
2008 Roadtrek 170

Archived