Anderson 200rv four way water input valve

PAylor

Hi all,

Our four way water input valve isn't functioning properly. (We just discovered we had not been using it correctly ) Hubby is going to replace it.

It looks pretty straightforward but though I'd run it by my experts. Any andvice?

Thanks in advance!

image2.jpgIs this what you have?

Four Positions, Four Functions
  1. City – Pressure feed fixtures from 3/4" hose connection on backflow preventer.
  2. Normal – Pump from the on-board tank to the fixtures using on-board pump.
  3. Tank – Pressure fill the tank from 3/4" hose connection at backflow preventer. 100 gallons
    in 7 minutes.
  4. Sanitize/Winterize – Draw in sanitizers and winterizing fluids from a bucket utilizing the
    on-board pump.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Yes Kirk, it is. We mistakenly used it on city both for city and the pump (rather than change it to normal). Something broke in the valve and when we set it on city it not only supplies the interior faucets but fills the fresh water tank. Found a replacement online. Looks pretty straightforward but thought I'd check in.

Thanks!

Are you sure that your problem is that valve? In most RVs the fresh water pump also acts as a check valve to prevent the city water from back-flowing through it to the tank. If the pump needs rebuilt it can cause the same problem. A quick way to test that is to turn on the pump with water in the tank and city water off or disconnected. If the pump then runs every few minutes or more it means that pressure/water is leaking back through the pump & into the tank.

That is one of the things that happens. So maybe it's the pump too.

The main problem we're addressing is that when it's set on city and all the faucets in the unit are off water still is running in to the rig. We didn't know where the water was going until the it began overflowing out of the fresh water tank. We thought that if the valve had failed that it would send the water to both the interior faucets and the fresh water tank. Could that also be the pump and not the valve?

Thanks Kirk!

If the check valve is bad in the pump it can do what you are indicating. In fact, that is the classic sign of a bad check valve in the pump.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

• 6 months later...

Same valve (Anderson 200RV) and similar problems. Had it set to City to use the city water and it started filling the tank. At end of season set it to Sanitize/Winterize and nothing would flow anywhere. Did lots of research and discovered a number of posts on different sites that indicated, as said by Pat and Ed, that there are problems with this valve. I had it repaired at a dealer under warranty. Not sure if they just adjusted it or did nothing, but it still malfunctioned. I noticed it was the same valve by a small mark on the outside so I know it was not replaced. I am now ordering a completely new one to install myself and hoping it will work properly. If I continue to have problems I'll figure a way to replace it with a system set up for each individual action like my old RV.

• 9 months later...

Just wondering what solution you came up with for this. We have had the value replaced FIVE times, at the direction of an authorized dealer and covered under warranty. After doing lots of research on our own (no dealer assistance), we are pretty convinced that the water pump is also affected. Have no idea which came first, issues with the value or issues with the water pump. SO FRUSTRATING! We are still under warranty, but if this continues, we are considering fixing / replacing the water pump and then installing the Swan Quick Water Fill value. Anyone have any other ideas / suggestions?

I was having the problem of the fresh water tank filling while on City Water. Anderson sent me a replacement valve core because that is a common problem with new Anderson valves. I haven't installed it yet. I did install a check valve between the pump and the fresh water lines. Haven't had the fresh water tank overfill any more.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

We just replaced the valve for the fourth or fifth time, can't remember. My husband is able to do the work. There is a major design flaw there. Anderson is always very nice. And they continue to replace it even though we're out of warranty.

The good news is that after all that we don't think it did harm the water pump.

Even better news is that we have ordered a new RV that doesn't have the Anderson valve. Just two months until we pick it up!

• 1 year later...
On 10/31/2015 at 5:22 PM, timpas said:

Same valve (Anderson 200RV) and similar problems. Had it set to City to use the city water and it started filling the tank. At end of season set it to Sanitize/Winterize and nothing would flow anywhere. Did lots of research and discovered a number of posts on different sites that indicated, as said by Pat and Ed, that there are problems with this valve. I had it repaired at a dealer under warranty. Not sure if they just adjusted it or did nothing, but it still malfunctioned. I noticed it was the same valve by a small mark on the outside so I know it was not replaced. I am now ordering a completely new one to install myself and hoping it will work properly. If I continue to have problems I'll figure a way to replace it with a system set up for each individual action like my old RV.

I hate the Anderson valve system.  We had a new o ring replaced under factory warranty but a couple months later same problem:  on city water our fresh water tank overfills.  We have a Big Horn 2017 model.  Why not do it like on my other RVs?  Direct fill for fresh water.  There are a gaggle of hoses behind the inlet lever which are confusing and could lead to leaks.   We're going to try to bypass some of this and make a simpler system.  I don't get why RV manufacturers (Heartland) make things worse rather than better.  Bean counters?  

I agree with wranglermatt. It takes me 30 minutes to fill my 100 gallon New Horizons. My previous RV'S had a simple 3 way brass ball valve. I added a cameo valve at the pump to antifreeze. worked perfect. Everytime I turn the valve on the anderson I worry it this is going to be the time.

2002 Beaver Marquis Emerald   C-12 Cat 505 HP

2014 Volvo 630 D-13 I Shift SOLD

2017 New Horizons SOLD

• 1 year later...

I’m having a related issue. My water pump won’t stop running, even with the lines well purged and no usage. The water pump has worked well for the last two years. However, on two occasions the fresh water tank has completely filled when the Andersen valve was in the city water position. Lately the valve has become very difficult to turn and no longer “clicks into position. 

7 hours ago, Steve1947 said:

I’m having a related issue.

Welcome to the Escapee forums! This thread is pretty old so you may need to start a new one with your question, but I'll do may best to help and perhaps others will join in.

The problem of the water tank getting full when connected to city water is probably that the pump is leaking back as it normally acts as a check valve when not in operation and yours seems to leak back. That can be resolved quite easily by adding a check valve to the water line between the tank and the pump. If you tank fill valve is open when not connected to city water that would cause your water pump to run continuously or if just leaking it would cause the pump to cycle on and off. The reason is that it then allows water that is drawn from the tank to be pumped into the water system, then to pass through the leaking fill valve and then return to the top of the water tank. Let us know if anything suggested here should help you.