Secret to sewer hose leaks?

Zaphod

I've had nothing but trouble with a short length (2 feet) of hose from my “Y” adapter to the macerator. I can't seem to get a good seal at either end where wire reinforced hose meets ridged plastic. What's the secret to getting a leak free connection (using radiator clamps) and what's the best brand/type of hose to use?

Ken & Shirley Smedley + Millie

'06 Diplomat PDQ, '08 Jeep GC, '07 MinPin (security) :D

I prefer the Rhino brand sewer hoses. If I were having a problem like that, I would probably use a little 3M 5200 marine adhesive/sealant (quick cure) on the threads of the plastic coupler... screws the hose on, then hose clamp it (until it's fully cured anyway). I would imagine plumbers putty and a hose clamp would work just as well and not be permanent... in the event a tang were to bust off it would be nice to easily replace it, but then again, it's no big deal to just cut a broken coupler off and start fresh.

Howdy!

X2 on the Rescue Tape, worked for me. I keep that along with Duck Tape, J B Weld, Ty wraps etc...

"Happy Trails"

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

5200 is permanent. If you put it on the treads you will not get it off to replace the hose. Standard 5200 takes approx a week to cure and you will not get it off after it is cured.

Ed

KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, RV Flex Armor Roof

I prefer the Rhino brand sewer hoses. If I were having a problem like that, I would probably use a little 3M 5200 marine adhesive/sealant (quick cure) on the threads of the plastic coupler... screws the hose on, then hose clamp it (until it's fully cured anyway). I would imagine plumbers putty and a hose clamp would work just as well and not be permanent... in the event a tang were to bust off it would be nice to easily replace it, but then again, it's no big deal to just cut a broken coupler off and start fresh.

3M 5200 NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NOT A GOOD IDEA

3M 5200 IS A WONDERFUL SEALANT for jobs that are never going to need to come apart. I am a full time liveaboard now and have 5200 in the fridge [ top tip keep it there and it lasts years ] but for sealing a hose onto a joint that you might need to remove.

For this sort of job use 3M 4200, joints can be separated..

There is a famous case of a sailboat keel weighing several tons which was attached to the hull with multiple 1 inch bolts. The guy fitting it last time used 5200.

The bolts were removed and the big crane bought in to lift the 60 ft hull off the keel. You guessed it - the keel remained firmly attached the 5200 doing it's job.

FT since September 2007

Safari Trek + M/C

http://johncarolandcharro.blogspot.com/

There is 5200 and 5200 fast cure. The fast cure is skin dry and usable in 30 minutes or so and fully cured in 48 hours. I'm not saying it's the one and only fix.. just what I would use in that application. Works great against standing water, solvents, and any chemical treatments you might use in your black tank. Semi permanent solutions.. to ME anyway.. means at some point and time I may have to be handling old "innards" from my poop hose and/or coupler. Permanent works for me. B)

Archived