Which sub-forum for trip planning info?

canyonier

I'm starting to plan our summer trip. In late July we will be going from San Diego to Sault Ste. Marie, Mich (our 1st definite destination). I tow a 30' 5th-wheel.

I have several questions pertaining to routes, stops along the way, mapping software, etc.

My first question is:

Which sub-forum is best for these questions?

Thanks,

Glenn

The 'Travel' subforum might be a good place but many here monitor all the forums by using the 'View New Content' option of seeing everything posted since our last visit to the forum.

I'd say just ask away......

As far as Michigan being your first destination, there are many ways to get there depending on if you want to see anything special along the way. If not, then you might consider heading to Hwy 2 from any of the Plains states. It's a nice easy drive and you'd be driving across the whole Upper Peninsula of Michigan. You'd also be avoiding the big cities like Chicago, etc.

The western part of the Uppper Peninsula has a LOT of waterfalls and the border visitor center will have a map to many of them. Porcupine Mountain State Park is a pretty area, too. Other stops from western Upper Peninsula to Sault Ste. Marie would be had by taking Hwy 41 across and stopping on the Keweenaw Peninsula/Copper Harbor. Fort Wilkins is a very nice state park to stay. Continuing on to Munising and take the Pictured Rocks Nat'l Lakeshore boat tour. There's a very nice forest service campground in Munising right on the water. Definitely make Whitefish Point and the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum a stop. It's near Paradise (and yes, it is) and Tahquamenon Falls State Park is an option for a stay. Since Sault Ste. Marie is fairly close to Mackinac Island and the 'Mighy Mac' bridge connecting the Upper and Lower Peninsulas of Michigan, do plan a ferry trip over to the island for a day. It's fun and the fudge is good! Have a good trip! It's a long one.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

You just brought back a LOT of memories from my youth....Dad was stationed at Kincheloe AFB during the early '60's and we used to shop in Sault St Marie as is was only 20 miles or so away. Living there was a different experience as we had been stationed in Savannah, GA before that and I had never seen it snow 36" in 8 hours or see -40 below in the winter before. 2 years there though and we were used to the cold which prompted Uncle Sam to send us to Hawaii for 3 years.

Check out Iron Mountain while you are there, visit the locks going into Superior and don't forget a trip across the Mighty Mac as noted above.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

While the travel forum might be more specific to your topic, we are not very rigid here and are happy to help in any location an certainly the General Forum where you have begun is a good choice also as it is not topic specific. I'll offer a few comments here and you have the choice of continuing here with further questions, or starting a new thread in the Travel forum.

I'd assume that you realize already that the distance to Sault Ste. Marie will be about 4,000 miles so this must be a pretty long trip in terms of time as well. It would be very easy to spend an entire summer in a trip of that distance if one wished to do so and so we need to narrow somewhat the route choices which seem to be pretty near infinite. Let me say that this could be a truly grand trip if time allows with so many possible options of things to see and places to visit both going there and returning. I will be anxiously awaiting the next segment of the trip which you wish to discuss as this sounds like a really wonderful way to spend a summer!

Bring on the questions! :D

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

If you are a member of Coach Net or Good Sam they both have trip planning programs. If you go online and submit

your info, start and end point, how high the RV is and a number of other requests, they will send you lots of information along

with routing. Good Luck

I recently took a trip in the same direction and route you are planning, and as has been mentioned before, there are MANY places to see and visit. Hwy 2 showed me the heart of America.

Have you thought of a setting up a blog to not only keep track of your activities and adventures, but to also let others enjoy it with you? See for instance this forum topic.

I recently discovered a program which might be another way to keep track of your activities and route, and even expenses. http://rvnotepad.com/

Happy travels, and I'm also looking forward to hearing about your adventures.

2009 Four Winds Chateau - 25' class C          2002 Chevy Tracker

1458033694__statesVisitedas-ofMarch-2012.jpg.b173645da4a43150ba2820dc7a6bdfc5.jpg

Archived