New to boo docking...how long will 96 gallons of water last?

usaperuvian

how long will 96 gallons of water last for two people while dry camping? We know to take navy showers and will have bottled water for drinking and cooking. Will it last at least three days?

Joani & Alberto, 1999 Rexhall Rexair 3550

We named our RV Our Casita and got personalized Idaho license plates "RCASITA" because it is our little house in spanish,

Our two dogs always travel with us, Badger 12 years old & Sheba 6 years old

3 days... I would say NOOOOoo problem. There are a lot of variables in there.. and everyones usage will vary, but for three days I can't see you having to do much water conservation with 96 gallons. I get by with around 66 gallons a month as a single.

Easily - - if you realize that the faucet is no longer connected to a billion gallon reservoir. Some could go a month or more on that much water. There is a big learning curve for dry camping. I've always thought that it's much easier for some old back packers and tent campers than those who go directly from the luxury of a stick and brick into an RV.

We dry camped for 18 days one time and I kept track of my water usage - about 7 gallons per day for 2 persons. I knew that when my tanks filled up, we would have to break camp and go to the dump station or make several trips with the blue tote. So we were pretty conservative with water usage.

We were comfortable with going two weeks on 100 gallons of fresh water. Our usual problem was the black tank, 45 gallons, getting full.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

We routinely boondock for 7 days on 80 gallons of water. Our general practice is to do 'washcloth' baths, but other than that, just observe common sense water saving measures. When going beyond 7 days, we do the 'navy' shower thing and that works quite well, too. So far, 10 days seems to be the comfortable range for us on our 80 gallons.

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

With good conservation methods I could go two weeks on 40 gallons using it for cooking but not drinking in my van but that would be daily washcloth baths rather than showers. I only showered once a week to wash my hair. I dumped my black tank once a week so I only needed to fill fresh every other dump.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

One of us takes a navy shower each day and we use about 13 gallons of water each day.

Clay(WA5NMR), Lee(Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats)
Full timed for eleven years in our 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Snowbirds for 1 year. Now settled down in western CO.
Honda Accord toad.

65 gal = 2 weeks for 2 people, including bathing, dishes, toilet flush, drinking and cooking - all used from the tank. We boondocked a lot and got the system down pat.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

We had a bus conversion with a 250 gallon tank. That 'could' last us 4 weeks. But you have to be very aware of water usage. Dishwater to flush the toilet etc. Friends of ours had a similar set up and could manage just 3 days. She was a hair fanatic and washed and rinsed it every day!!!!!!!!

regards

We usually go 10 days on our 96 gallon water supply without completely draining the tank. We still do navy showers, and use dish washing water to flush the toilet. There is a learning curve and after a while you get comfortable with conservation.

Full time since August 2010

2002 Itasca Horizon

One fur kid - a Shih-Tsu rescue

Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd

It depends (and we say that a lot around here).

Anywhere from a week to a month.

If you do not use the hot water heater (waiting for the water to get hot out of the tap uses up a substantial amount of water that then fills your grey water tank), if you do not leave the tap running while you brush your teeth, if you wet your hands, then soap them and then rinse them all without leaving the tap going, and if you use the latrines provided at many boondock sites you can extend the time needed to dump and fill considerably.

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

We have a camp member with a HEAVY drinking problem.......Dolly--our-Paint-Horse guzzles FIFTEEN gallons every day.......GULP!!

Dolly is a fairly careful "drinker" but IF you give her a 5 gal bucket to "drink" from sometimes she might tip it over and spill a few gallons so we have a 10 gal wide bottom Rubbermaid water tub that is very stable and we fill it twice a day with about 8 gal per fill.

We can boondock for two weeks easy with the 330 gal tote on the back deck of our Freightliner Century and 200 Gal in our Dune toyhauler with a removable Dolly-module in the "garage".

Most days in our remote dry horse camps Dolly helps conserve water by rolling and taking a "dust-bath".......... it seems to work well for her and some dirt bikers but we still prefer the "Navy Shower"........

Gotta go now and see if the hose has finished filling the tanks......

Safe travels,

Dollytrolley

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

We have a 100 gallon fresh water tank and it will last us a good 10 days. Our black tank is good for 2 weeks or more and we dump our grey on a bush or two.......I find that bushes are not that fussy about where they get their moisture from...if we are in the desert.

So basically after 10 days we head to a dump station and refill the water tank and head back to our spot in the wilds.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

• 1 month later...

Dumping grey water depends on protocol. New Mexico State Parks permit it if done through a hose (and use that hose only for that purpose) and the seals on black water tank have to be perfect. It should never be done near a stream or standing water. Safest is to wash dishes in a plastic basin and dump that (if permitted) and to take outdoor showers. Our 2013 Open Range has hot and cold water to the showers, which was not a feature on earlier models

Agree with Lots2see that coming from a desert back packer/mountaineering background does give one a different perspective on water usage. We have lasted for two weeks in desert.

Having a horse or two along will definitely change the game plan with water usage.

Reed and Elaine

Water is the EZ part, it's where to put the gray water. And water is also the EZest to get or refill, there is always a place to get a few more gallons. Gray water filling up is the real problem for us. Like others navy shower every three days and the big hospital wipes or bath cloths in between. Catch the dish water or do the dishs in a pan for disposal or toilet wash and catch xtra shower water in a small tub or bucket. We can go over two weeks on the 90-100 gallons and all but three weeks on the black water doing some duties away from the boondocking site. Coffee and fresh water from gallon jugs or bottles. Just think about using the water twice.

LEN

I had an issue with access to water last Summer. I was able to have a daily shower and get by on 3 g/day. When my wife is along 5g/day is about the minimum for showers and to get by without any major accommodation.

Great sharing with a touch of humor. What a way to start your day. Keep it up!

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

Cut a hole in the top of a milk jug big enough for the shower head. Run the shower in the jug until it gets hot then use the water for the toilet, animals or what ever. We can go 2 weeks on 100 gallons. Navy shower every other day and the dishes are done in the sink not a tub. The 2 of us with a dog and a cat. Just be careful with it.

Jeff

Tina and Jeff

Class of 2011

"RV there yet?"

2005 Gulfstream Endura

and a 1987 Jeep Wrangler

http://rvtravelswith...a.blogspot.com/

Dolly -the-Painthorse only drank 8 gallons today....... (it was cool) and she only took two "dust-baths.....no water) .......maybe our 330 gallons will last two-weeks....

Ride on........

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

We went 17 days on 100 gallons and still had some water left but our black tank was getting full so we moved on.

Dave & Diane

2020 New Horizon Majestic  5th wheel

2018 Ram 5500

2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH (SOLD)
2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited (SOLD)

http://daveanddiane.wordpress.com/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWqRmO1rO4cu3rFANF1iG6Q

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10752;80/st/20120701/e/Went+fulltime/dt/-2/k/271f/event.png

Archived