Volvo to market new Truck

Radar274

First time poster long time lurker. Thanks to all of you we will be crossing over any day now. The Dark Side is so close the lights are dimming. The Jackalopee just arrived, the Maxbrake and Air Hitch are all in waiting (ET Hitch on wish list). THEY JUST NEED A TRUCK to call home!!!! Several Dealers are looking for us, so it shouldn’t be long. I thought all of you might find a Sales Bulletin from Volvo USA interesting. It’s not in our budget but sure is fun dreaming about it. Volvo calls the truck a Trailer Hauler which uses a VNL630.

Since this is the first time I have ever posted on a forum I am clueless about attachments, I might need your help. I uploaded it hopefully it will work.Trailer+Hauler.pdf

Bob

Bob&Kay
2012 VNL730 I Shift D13 2.47 ratio
2018 Mobile Suites 40 kssb4

I like the concept, but not some of the spec's. Maybe this entry into the market will open up some other possibilities.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Looks nice but way out of my price range! With the standard goose neck it looks like the primary market they are going for is something other than RVs.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

19.5 wheels... Nope!

First thing I noticed, takes lot of capacity out of the truck, Freightliner SportChassis market with a bigger engine.

Why use 19.5" wheels? As far as Freightliners go, my M2-112 has a bigger engine, more HP and Torque, 22 1/2" wheels and still has the air brakes and parking brakes that they are so proud of..... They will have an appeal to some but if I get away from my 4 doors, it will be to move up to a nice KW or Pete...

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Rick

I suspect it is because of you ordering your truck that Volvo even realized there might be a market for a factory build. 19.5's are very common with the car haulers to keep legal height with cars overhead. It doesn't seem to hurt capacity but I believe brakes and tires for 19.5's cost more. I like the truck but you can keep the Western Hauler body with the itty bitty toolbox. Does anybody pay full list on a HDT?

JMO

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

I see on the spec sheet that all these trucks are spec'ed the same for the customers shopping around. I think this is a mistake on their part. I also think you could spec a 630 like this with a D-13 /22.5's and add a deck for close to that price. But, that is not an off the shelf truck you can walk in and buy. Maybe the ET hitch has a new market opening up for them. :) As, to paying full price for a HDT........I would recommend against it. :D

Did you folks miss the date of issue on this jewel? April I.

Do you think Volvo or any OEM is going to showcase their new model in front of Jerry's Furniture?

By the way look closely, the tires and wheels are LP 22.5's

Happy motoring,

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

Everyone knows I'm not a Volvo fan, but for that kind of money I would go Rick's way and order a full size HDT then add a bed.

Might cost a little more, but you get a lot more!

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

Rocky,

Those headlights still roll out on all of the new VNM (short hood) trucks. The tooling was paid for a long time ago--those lights have been in production since 1996!

This truck was on display at MATS--definitely not an April Fools' prank. They had some interesting lines on the bed, but as many have commented here it doesn't look to be significantly cheaper than one of the big boys. It would seem like it might make sense--given a "factory" supplied bed--that they'd want to check all of the boxes for RV status too.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

Interesting concept, and not one foreign to those of us here. However, the specs are ridiculous. Turnkey is a strong incentive, however. But before I would buy one of these I'd likely buy an M2-112. Actually, Gregg can do a turnkey truck off a new build that would be interesting with far better specs and a useful body. Why people put on these useless bodies has always been a mystery to me.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

1) I agree with the April Fools logic

2) I think that truck was at the MATS show, out in the lobby, not in the Volvo booth.

3) If they put 19.5 tires on, it might be to stay below 26k#.

4) I see others have posted since I started my post. :blink:

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Is this the truck at the show?

That's the one. Like Rick said, it was outside the show floor in the south wing. I think the only VNM that was on display in Volvo's booth was a box truck.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

Well, after thinking about this truck that Volvo built I'm sure it came down the price the bed builder could build it at probably the lowest cost. If, Volvo wanted to get some good info on a factory built RV hauler I know a forum on the web that would provide them with and abundance of info...... but they didn't ask! :)

Rocky,

Those headlights still roll out on all of the new VNM (short hood) trucks. The tooling was paid for a long time ago--those lights have been in production since 1996!

David, thanks for enlightening me. Didn't know that. No wonder I don't like my headlights! They're older than the truck is!

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Well, after thinking about this truck that Volvo built I'm sure it came down the price the bed builder could build it at probably the lowest cost. If, Volvo wanted to get some good info on a factory built RV hauler I know a forum on the web that would provide them with and abundance of info...... but they didn't ask! :)

The thing is, given the overall cost, and the cost of the existing bed build, for just a relatively few dollars more you could have a useful bed with useful storage.

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

No it is real....at least the truck is. I saw it at MATS. It may not be offered by Volvo - that part may be an April 1 thing....but the truck is real.

www.jackdanmayer.com

To my eye it seems like that truck would high-center on a speed bump with the 19.5s. Too low, too much wheelbase and no storage to speak of...but it does have some bling value.

Doug
Frequent "lurker"
Occasional poster
First step towards the RV setup complete: 1 smart car

Archived