HappyToRV

Need route help: Alternate to I-10 awful rd conditions

Hello again to all,

Close friend just emailed about terrible rough road conditions they encountered this week on I-10 between Gulfport, MS driving to Beaumont, TX. We are supposed to join them in the next few weeks. (They winter in FL, have a brand new 2015 Allegro 32SA. They used the same route to TX this last year, and Rv'd for past 20 yrs, too...but this time they emailed saying, "never,never,never come this way.") Here is how they described I-10 in this stretch: "roads are horrible on this stretch. Dense, non-stop traffic, roads that resemble cornfields and construction with narrow roadways and concrete barriers too close to the berm.... (they stopped at Flying J Hammond, LA) continuing and said, "got back on I-10 after a buckboard ride over really beat up concrete...then more heavy traffic and awful construction began. Never never never come this way, ...find a different albiet longer route..."

We looked at paper atlas, this will be our first trip into TX driving a 36' DP, and would like to hear from others familiar with this possible? route we are considering. Or, what other routes you would recommend that keeps us off I-10 between Gulfport --> Beaumont, TX. Our ultimate destination is Woodlands, TX area near Houston.

Okay, please tell us what we need to know, is this a viable alternate route? (yes, longer miles...sigh..)

Starting at Gulfport, MS take US49 N through Hattiesburg & Jackson, MS

Pick up I-20W and continue through Shreveport, LA to Marshall, TX.

Pick up US 59 South and continue through Lufkin & Cleveland, TX to State Hwy 105.

Take State Hwy 105 W to I-45 South.

Thanks so much in advance : - ))

The entire length of I-10 from Gulf port to Beaumont is bad? Or the area from where to where? We've traveled that route several times and there are some bad sections but all bad??? I mean, is it a simple detour or two or an absolute no go?

In Feb we came up US59(from Houston) to I20, then to points East. The roads were very bad and we decided not to go that way again. This includes US59.

We do this route every year and this was the worst we had ever seen.

CyberDave, thanks..wish I knew for sure how much / all? We prefer interstate and 4-lane roads, so my route thinking was how to not travel I-10 between Gulfport-Beaumont. We are open to any other route ideas you could suggest, too, thanks :-)

SWharton, thanks sounds like US59 is not any better condition? What alternates will you use?

Note, we enjoy factory tours of MH mfrs, and thought since Foretravel is mfrd in Nacodoches, TX the US59 might be okay for MH? Not so?

Thanks and look forward to any and all ideas :-)

I've seen US 190 between Baton Rouge and Beaumont recommended. No idea myself, but Louisiana beat us up a bit.

WE had been planning to go across on I10, now I don't know what to do. I'll worry about that next year. US59 has good spots and bad spots, the bad spots sneak up on you.

Hammond, LA is not even on IH10. So, maybe you got some bad information.

IH12 and IH10 in the Baton Rouge area have had construction for several years. It is an area of high traffic and is constantly being expanded and resurfaced. The soil base in that area does make for some rock and roll highway features. Just having an interstate highway from Baton Rouge to Lafayette is a modern marvel.

I've always found IH10/IH12 to be as good or better than IH20.

We took I10 west from Alabama to Houston last week. Yes, I10 has some very bad concrete sections but we had no trouble with construction or traffic. We went through Houston Sunday at noon to minimize traffic. My suggestion, which we have also done in the past and will in the future, is take 190 west from Baton Rouge or Lafayette to Beaumont. Greg

I know I haven't totally lost my memory. 190 does not go to Lafayette or Beaumont, don't know how you could take it from one to the other. Also, 190 is a terrible highway, especially for someone who prefers interstates like the OP. If one does use 190 west toward Beaumont, he would have to get on 12. Highway 12 near the Texas border is a narrow two lane cow trail compared to IH10. Once in Texas, Highway 12 is pretty smooth pavement, but still two lanes.

I recall some talk recently about a low bridge clearance on one of the roads headed into Tx at I think the Sabine River. Anyone with a good memory recall if this was 190. Good for anyone to know.

Perhaps it would be better to look at it in another way.

Like so many others here, we've visited many states and driven all sorts of roads. Great roads, bad roads and only a few that I'd definitely route around like I-40 across all of Arkansas.

Could it be you are being a little to cautious? New rig, new challenges, new way to drive... It's a lot of stuff to absorb but vehicles of every size and shape go across all sorts of road conditions every day. If you have time why not do some travelling on familiar roads and highways. Get some confidence and a comfort level as to how your rig drives how the systems work and is everything stored properly. Get the jitters out of the way and I think you'll be fine.

Edited by Cyberdave

In January, we came out of New Orleans on I-12, picked up I-10 and drove to San Antonio and except for about 10 miles a little east of Lafayette and another maybe 5 mile section before we got out of LA the drive was fine. Yes those sections where rough. If traffic allows I will move into the left lane where the pavement is smoother (sometimes) until I see someone coming up behind me and then I move into the right lane until they pass.

I-10 through Houston is a traffic mess much of the time. We came through on a Saturday morning, getting to near Katy, TX by about 10am and had NO traffic. Others have mentioned coming through Houston on Sunday morning w/o problems. Now if you come through Houston on Sunday at 2-7pm when people are coming home from where ever you can get into the traffic mess again.

Edited by Al Florida

Okay, please tell us what we need to know, is this a viable alternate route? (yes, longer miles...sigh..)

Starting at Gulfport, MS take US49 N through Hattiesburg & Jackson, MS

Pick up I-20W and continue through Shreveport, LA to Marshall, TX.

Pick up US 59 South and continue through Lufkin & Cleveland, TX to State Hwy 105.

Take State Hwy 105 W to I-45 South.

I have a hard time thinking of any reason I would go that far out of the way to avoid poor or bad roads or even traffic. I would probably slow down in the rough sections. I would also plan my trip to only drive 200 miles, or so, in a day, so the bad roads/traffic and the stress of driving on those routes would be more tolerable.

Drove I-10 today from Lafayette to Baton Rouge and it was no worse than it ever has. We were in the Tahoe but have driven it many times in the coach and it's about the same. There are some bad areas but overall it's not bad enough to avoid. Every state has bad roads.

The soil substrate in some areas resembles pudding so it is very difficult to build a smooth road through the swamps.

You could take Hwy 190 in that area. It is a four lane highway that parallels I-10 but does have slowdowns through small towns. The section through the Atchafalaya swamp is a long bridge with no shoulder and is narrow, especially if an 18 wheeler or other large vehicle passes you. The only other route would be Hwy 90/future I-49 from Lafayette to New Orleans. 4 lanes all the way but limited access for only part of the way. But the section just east of Lafayette is rough also. After New Iberia it is pretty good road. If you take that route do yourself a favor and take I-310 to cross the Mississippi rather than continuing on Hwy 90 and crossing the river. The Huey P. Long bridge is very narrow. Or the Crescent connection through New Orleans is not bad other than the traffic.

Thanks to one and all, this is really such a great forum. We appreciate the time and comments to try to help out.

Chirakawa, I should have said Hammond, LA "exit on I-10.". In my iPad typing, just didn't realize my brain and fingers didn't both get the "exit" written down on my post. You are right of course, Hammond isn't directly on I-10. And, please know I do appreciate your reply to help me :-)

Looked at the map and did find I-12, US 190 routes mentioned in replies to help us. Thank you all again :-). No idea just yet what route we will end up trying, but very good info now to consider thanks to everyone.

Best wishes all!

I guess they changed the maps without asking me. For fifty years or so, IH10 went to New Orleans and IH12 went to Hammond as a New Orleans bypass. My bad.

chirakawa, I made an assumption that the OP would look at a map and easily discover 190 is just north of Baton Rouge and Lafayette and could easily determine how to get to 190 from I10. Your opinion of 12 is different from mine, 12 is not a "cow trail" but a US trucking route. Yes, 190 goes through some towns but the road is much smoother that I10. This is a decision and option for the OP.

bigjjim, we have taken 190 and 12 in LA (west from Baton Rouge) and 12 in TX to Beaumont a few times and there is no low clearance (we are 13' 2" tall), we use a truckers atlas to check clearance on truck routes when we are off the expressway, which is often. Greg

I wasn't sure but I do recall one mentioned but maybe a different one. I think it had to do with a conversation about Natchez,MS and I didn't want them to get surprised. What the heck if I get over being "laid back" I might look it up on google earth.

Google Streetview shows the TX 12 Sabine River bridge as fairly narrow concrete two-lane with no overhead restrictions.

I do recall finding a low bridge on LA 8 on Streetview but have no idea where that was.

In January, we came out of New Orleans on I-12, picked up I-10 and drove to San Antonio and except for about 10 miles a little east of Lafayette and another maybe 5 mile section before we got out of LA the drive was fine. Yes those sections where rough. If traffic allows I will move into the left lane where the pavement is smoother (sometimes) until I see someone coming up behind me and then I move into the right lane until they pass.

I-10 through Houston is a traffic mess much of the time. We came through on a Saturday morning, getting to near Katy, TX by about 10am and had NO traffic. Others have mentioned coming through Houston on Sunday morning w/o problems. Now if you come through Houston on Sunday at 2-7pm when people are coming home from where ever you can get into the traffic mess again.

In agreement with the route. We left Mission Texas on March 23rd, US281, over to US77 at Falfurrias, US59 to Houston, I-10E from Houston to Tallahassee FL. The description of I-10E in LA is accurate from the State line then Lafayette to Baton Rouge, We slowed down to 40-45 and let them pass. Now today I95 northbound out of FL was the worse we've ever seen it. Long construction delays and wrecks seemed to be the norm from Melbourne to the GA line, with all the Spring Break revelers mixed in heading home.